Advice on which state to take the UBE... (NY or NJ?)

CatsAndLawyers

Advice on which state to take the UBE... (NY or NJ?)

Postby CatsAndLawyers » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi, all.

I am from NY and currently attending law school out of state. I graduate in May. My job requires me to be licensed to practice in both NY and NJ. Luckily, NJ has joined the UBE. Therefore, it does not matter whether I take the UBE in NY or NJ. Now, I just need to decide which state to take it in.

I am looking for insight regarding the testing centers in each of these states and the process of transferring UBE scores. Which state has less hectic testing centers/traveling, etc.? Does anyone have experience with the NJ "lottery" system for the testing centers? If I am a NY resident, and moving back to NY after graduation, would I qualify to take the NY UBE at the Javits Center in NYC?

If I want to take the UBE in NJ, I have to decide rather quickly, as the application/character & fitness is due March 31st.

Thank you for all your help.

Lapis123

Re: Advice on which state to take the UBE... (NY or NJ?)

Postby Lapis123 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:51 pm

CatsAndLawyers wrote:Hi, all.

I am from NY and currently attending law school out of state. I graduate in May. My job requires me to be licensed to practice in both NY and NJ. Luckily, NJ has joined the UBE. Therefore, it does not matter whether I take the UBE in NY or NJ. Now, I just need to decide which state to take it in.

I am looking for insight regarding the testing centers in each of these states and the process of transferring UBE scores. Which state has less hectic testing centers/traveling, etc.? Does anyone have experience with the NJ "lottery" system for the testing centers? If I am a NY resident, and moving back to NY after graduation, would I qualify to take the NY UBE at the Javits Center in NYC?

If I want to take the UBE in NJ, I have to decide rather quickly, as the application/character & fitness is due March 31st.

I would say take the exam in Jersey. Its a much calmer environment - no thirty minute bathroom line. The amount of people that take the exam in NY is massive - I'd avoid the scene. I think the exam in Jersey is more expensive, but worth it. If you were not treated as a NYC resident, then you'd get stuck in Albany or Buffalo and add the hotel costs.

happyhour1122

Postby happyhour1122 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Save the stress.. take NY. No character fitness till after the bar.

squiggle

Postby squiggle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:46 pm

[Just for a frame of reference, I took NY & NJ before either were UBE, and later took a third state, which is UBE.]

A few things to think about:

1. The curve

Each state grades their own applicant's MEE answers and curves accordingly. All MBEs are graded by NCBE and curved on a national level. NY will have a far larger pool, which will include some international applicants who speak English as a second language. If you're worried about the MEE, consider NY for the bigger and possibly more forgiving grading pool.

2. Getting admitted

NY has an in-depth character and fitness process, which involves having forms completed by your past employer. Even though this takes a long time, you can do it in advance (just be prepared that your former employers may inquire if you passed when the results come out).

If you need a bar license right away, find out which state will get you your results faster and which will allow you to be sworn in first. NY results usually come out before NJ, but NY requires a formal interview before getting admitted.

3. Price

NY is $250, while NJ is $675 (if timely).

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

pvnyc

Postby pvnyc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:08 am

Also, I believe that the NY Bar exam this july will not be taking place at the javits center (because of construction). One of the locations is the track field, not sure about the other one. Not sure if this might be helpful

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”