Anyone taking nyle this month?

happyhour1122
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby happyhour1122 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:08 am

Now that we are done with the bar, its NYLE time.
Anyone taking it in March? How are you studying for this? I was confirmed today that we will be able to access our notes and pdf files during the exam time (the software will be unsecured). Hopefully I will be able to control +f. But I'm going to go over notes and understand the big law (since I just took the bar I'm hoping its not too far from what I already know...)

Winter is Coming
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Winter is Coming » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 am

My understanding of this is that it's not meant to be studied for. Like all of the answers are word for word in the pdf essentially. Watching the videos gives a good overview and then you literally just look each answer up. Maybe someone else will jump in with a different opinion but that's the way my classmates and I are approaching it based off of what people said about it last year.

happyhour1122
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby happyhour1122 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:27 am

Winter is Coming wrote:My understanding of this is that it's not meant to be studied for. Like all of the answers are word for word in the pdf essentially. Watching the videos gives a good overview and then you literally just look each answer up. Maybe someone else will jump in with a different opinion but that's the way my classmates and I are approaching it based off of what people said about it last year.



That's good to know. Thank you.

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby cnk1220 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:35 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:My understanding of this is that it's not meant to be studied for. Like all of the answers are word for word in the pdf essentially. Watching the videos gives a good overview and then you literally just look each answer up. Maybe someone else will jump in with a different opinion but that's the way my classmates and I are approaching it based off of what people said about it last year.



That's good to know. Thank you.


I took it the first time it came out last May '16. Passed. I did not find it very difficult. You have plenty of time to look up an answer if you don't remember.

happyhour1122
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby happyhour1122 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:02 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:My understanding of this is that it's not meant to be studied for. Like all of the answers are word for word in the pdf essentially. Watching the videos gives a good overview and then you literally just look each answer up. Maybe someone else will jump in with a different opinion but that's the way my classmates and I are approaching it based off of what people said about it last year.



That's good to know. Thank you.


I took it the first time it came out last May '16. Passed. I did not find it very difficult. You have plenty of time to look up an answer if you don't remember.



Thank you!

beckygirl
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:46 am

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby beckygirl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:53 am

happyhour1122 wrote:Now that we are done with the bar, its NYLE time.
Anyone taking it in March? How are you studying for this? I was confirmed today that we will be able to access our notes and pdf files during the exam time (the software will be unsecured). Hopefully I will be able to control +f. But I'm going to go over notes and understand the big law (since I just took the bar I'm hoping its not too far from what I already know...)


I took notes when watching the videos so I just printed those and am going to look over them the next few days, along with the PDF. I also called to check if the examsoft was unsecured and the guy on the phone was super confused what I was asking- so you found that out for sure? That makes everything so much easier!

ndp1234
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby ndp1234 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:22 am

Yes, it's unsecured. You can access basically anything during the exam. I took it during the first administration in May '16.

happyhour1122
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby happyhour1122 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:54 pm

ndp1234 wrote:Yes, it's unsecured. You can access basically anything during the exam. I took it during the first administration in May '16.



Did you have enought time to finish? Is it really word by word the same?

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby cnk1220 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:37 pm

beckygirl wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:Now that we are done with the bar, its NYLE time.
Anyone taking it in March? How are you studying for this? I was confirmed today that we will be able to access our notes and pdf files during the exam time (the software will be unsecured). Hopefully I will be able to control +f. But I'm going to go over notes and understand the big law (since I just took the bar I'm hoping its not too far from what I already know...)


I took notes when watching the videos so I just printed those and am going to look over them the next few days, along with the PDF. I also called to check if the examsoft was unsecured and the guy on the phone was super confused what I was asking- so you found that out for sure? That makes everything so much easier!


There is a downloadable NYLC outline from the BOLE (or there was when I took it in May '16). I used crtl+f a few times during the exam, so it deff. works provided they haven't changed anything from the first administration. You will likely finish with extra time too- I had about 30-40 mins. left...just remember you can't change your answer once you go to the next question from what I remember, so don't just mark a choice thinking you can come back. This exam really isn't that bad, and you will get your results within a few weeks :) Good luck!

yanchunfu
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:30 am

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby yanchunfu » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:46 pm

I took NYLE in October 2016 and passed. When going through the NYLC I realized I could ctrl+f to key word of the question, find the relevant part in the outline, read it and answer the question. The question only tests the rules, no fact pattern. Once you find the key word you are ready to answer the question. So make sure you can identify the key word and find it in the outline quickly.

I borrowed my wife's laptop during NYLE and copied the outline to it. I did ctrl+f on my wife's laptop and answered questions on my laptop.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 4518
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:33 pm

I'll be taking it this week as well. I'm reading through the outline a few times because I didn't pay much attention during the videos, but I'm confident in my ability to CTRL+F my way into a passing score.

beckygirl
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:46 am

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby beckygirl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Anyone know if there are any available practice questions/tests besides the 10 downloadable ones from the softest mock exam? Haven't been able to find any....

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 4518
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Slytherpuff » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 am

beckygirl wrote:Anyone know if there are any available practice questions/tests besides the 10 downloadable ones from the softest mock exam? Haven't been able to find any....

There's a PDF with 20 sample questions on the BOLE website.

beckygirl
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:46 am

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby beckygirl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:36 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
beckygirl wrote:Anyone know if there are any available practice questions/tests besides the 10 downloadable ones from the softest mock exam? Haven't been able to find any....

There's a PDF with 20 sample questions on the BOLE website.


Wow totally missed that- thank you!

happyhour1122
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:34 am

Are they similar enough?
I found them very easy. Hopefully it will be like the sample questions!

Lapis123
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Lapis123 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 am

Best of luck to everyone taking the exam today!

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 4518
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:39 am

Lapis123 wrote:Best of luck to everyone taking the exam today!

We've got this!

happyhour1122
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:45 pm

OMG...I totally underestimated it. But its done. Woohoo!

Aavni
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Aavni » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 pm

First few questions were a little challenging, but CTRL+F still feels safe enough. Also used Kaplan's NYLC outline (~300 pages!) as a backup, but most answers were readily available and better defined in the BOLE's PDF.

tehchancels
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby tehchancels » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Done, feel pretty good about it but some questions were trickier than I expected. Only needing to get 30/50 correct is pretty doable for an open book open google exam, but I wonder if that's just because I've spend the last three years ctrl+f'ing my way through school.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 4518
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Yeah, I'm sure all of us got at least 60% on the exam.

Lapis123
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Lapis123 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Done!! I used the full two hours. I agree with the commenter above about the first few questions. Some questions required a bit of brain power and application. The exam was not as easy as I thought it would be. I feel like I probably & hopefully got 30 questions right though.

beckygirl
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:46 am

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby beckygirl » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Was keeping track of the ones I was hopefully 100% sure about and it should be ok but wtf? I thought there weren't going to be hypos? It took me 15 mins to do the 20 practice questions and get them all right and I got stuck on the first few of this real exam for over 10 minutes. Lameeee we'll see. :?

User avatar
de minimis
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby de minimis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:27 pm

That sucked ass. Anyone else have an error on one question where multiple answer choices were stuffed into a single choice?

User avatar
Harvard_Naw
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Re: Anyone taking nyle this month?

Postby Harvard_Naw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:35 pm

de minimis wrote:That sucked ass. Anyone else have an error on one question where multiple answer choices were stuffed into a single choice?


I had this on a question near the end of the exam. Didn't know if it was an error or if I just didn't understand the answer choice.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alt123 and 11 guests