2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lsatextreme

Silver

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by lsatextreme » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:23 pm

mcmand wrote:I'll probably just leave work early and hide out at a bar somewhere.
Are you me? Because this was literally my plan.

I plan to go to one of those dark divey type bars where you go to hire a hitman.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:54 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
mcmand wrote:I'll probably just leave work early and hide out at a bar somewhere.
Are you me? Because this was literally my plan.

I plan to go to one of those dark divey type bars where you go to hire a hitman.
Can't be too divey - needs wifi if one actually plans to check the stupid pass list once it's posted.

On the other hand, maybe this is like Schrödinger's cat, where if you never look, you never passed or failed. Both exist simultaneously. Can I get licensed to practice law based on quantum superposition of my bar exam results?
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:59 am

yeslekkkk wrote:I plan on having a bottle of champagne in one hand and a vodka drink in the other. I'm in Mountain Time right now, so I'll be waiting for precious 7 p.m. Results: Good--> champagne. Bad--> vodka. The next day, I fly back to California for Thanksgiving, which will either be a treat or a consolation prize.
If it's bad, you have an excuse to be the drunk obnoxious relative at the dinner table on Thanksgiving. As in (drunkenly) "And I'll tell you why that's bullshit too, Aunt Doreen... hey mom---hey, hey! Don't look at me like that; I'm just tellin' like it is. Maybe if you woulda told me like it is ... or was ... or whatever---I wouldn'ta failed the goddamn bar exam!"

It's a chance to begin building your own legend.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:09 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote: If it's bad, you have an excuse to be the drunk obnoxious relative at the dinner table on Thanksgiving. As in (drunkenly) "And I'll tell you why that's bullshit too, Aunt Doreen... hey mom---hey, hey! Don't look at me like that; I'm just tellin' like it is. Maybe if you woulda told me like it is ... or was ... or whatever---I wouldn'ta failed the goddamn bar exam!"

:lol:

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:I plan on having a bottle of champagne in one hand and a vodka drink in the other. I'm in Mountain Time right now, so I'll be waiting for precious 7 p.m. Results: Good--> champagne. Bad--> vodka. The next day, I fly back to California for Thanksgiving, which will either be a treat or a consolation prize.
If it's bad, you have an excuse to be the drunk obnoxious relative at the dinner table on Thanksgiving. As in (drunkenly) "And I'll tell you why that's bullshit too, Aunt Doreen... hey mom---hey, hey! Don't look at me like that; I'm just tellin' like it is. Maybe if you woulda told me like it is ... or was ... or whatever---I wouldn'ta failed the goddamn bar exam!"

I'm thinking Drunk Uncle from SNL but the new and improved female version.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:34 pm

I plan on getting tipsy before results come out simply to calm my nerves. For some reason, I was not anxious at all taking the actual exam... but results make me very anxious. I'll definitely be sipping jack and coke for a few hours beforehand just to not be a nervous wreck.

I want to check them at home, but I am afraid that my family will hover around me because they know when results come out. My biggest fear is being seen as a failure in front of my wife and kids.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:03 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:

Exactly. My sister has her own thing down, except she much more closely approximates The Girl You Wish You Wouldn't Have Started A Conversation With At A Party.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:11 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:

Exactly. My sister has her own thing down, except she much more closely approximates The Girl You Wish You Wouldn't Have Started A Conversation With At A Party.
Side question: What do you suggest I do if I'm the Guy You Wish You Wouldn't Have Started A Conversation With At A Party?

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 pm

a male human wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:

Side question: What do you suggest I do if I'm the Guy You Wish You Wouldn't Have Started A Conversation With At A Party?
If you can do better than the following, you'll be in great shape. Just do the dude version.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... 0774?snl=1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:03 pm

How are you all staying busy the rest of this week and next?

Once I get through work this Friday, I think the weekend will fly by, but next week is going to suck. I'm already starting to constantly wonder to the thought of whether I passed or failed, and have troubling falling asleep at night (only 1 nightmare so far though like 2 weeks ago).

I need ideas for getting my mind off results, and especially ideas for coping if it goes the way we're all afraid it could...

wafflehausenberg

New

Post by wafflehausenberg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Baking and video games and binge-watching quality television. The more immersive the distraction, the better.

nsv

New

Post by nsv » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:39 am

wafflehausenberg wrote:Baking and video games and binge-watching quality television. The more immersive the distraction, the better.
Exactly what I have been doing. Attempting to clear my mind of all negative thoughts, but it's not easy.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:52 am

wafflehausenberg wrote:Baking and video games and binge-watching quality television. The more immersive the distraction, the better.
I recommend
Netflix:
the new season of Stranger Things
Mind Hunters

PBS (streaming):
The Great British Baking Show
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pbjd21

New

Post by Pbjd21 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:40 am

Having the same calm and panic days but lately I’ve used the outdoors, be it a beach, a hike, the woods even just walking a park with a dog or friend helps. And most importantly, and call it silly, but every now and then just write your full name with an Esq. at the end. At work, at home, just doodling. Actually writing and seeing it has helped give me a slight boost of confidence that this is going to happen because I’m willing it into existence. Pass or fail makes no difference if you can remember it all begins and ends with you and your hard work and dedication. Hope these pass rates are record breaking. Breath and keep calm everybody. Quitting is the only failure in life.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:53 am

bacillusanthracis wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:

YAS. That's perfect. I'll just do the more drunk version.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 am

I had a nightmare in which I failed. It seemed so real.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:46 pm

People mention Netflix, baking, going to beaches, etc., but I guess I was more asking about how to get through the weekdays.

Are you not working, or are those things you do before and after work to keep your mind distracted? I find that I worry less when I'm at home (watching Netflix), and it's my downtime at the office sitting in front of a computer that drives me crazy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:48 pm

One way that helped me is to push back the release date in my mind. Pretend it actually comes out on Dec 1, for example.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Anyone gonna splurge on something for yourself if you pass? I was thinking about a nice pen or a new suit that anytime I wear hopefully it'll make me feel that much more confident every time I wear it.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:People mention Netflix, baking, going to beaches, etc., but I guess I was more asking about how to get through the weekdays.

Are you not working, or are those things you do before and after work to keep your mind distracted? I find that I worry less when I'm at home (watching Netflix), and it's my downtime at the office sitting in front of a computer that drives me crazy.
I feel busy enough at work that I'm not having that problem.

Maybe try redirecting your focus when you start thinking those thoughts or having those feelings. Acknowledge the feeling, tell yourself to stop, then consciously try to focus on something.

I've been doing this a bit with unrelated-to-bar stressful shit in my life and it helps. Doesn't work perfectly but it's something.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I had a nightmare in which I failed. It seemed so real.
I had a dream that the results were ready. I went to the website, typed in my info and clicked submit, but then the next web page was so fuzzy I couldn't read it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:23 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:Anyone gonna splurge on something for yourself if you pass? I was thinking about a nice pen or a new suit that anytime I wear hopefully it'll make me feel that much more confident every time I wear it.
When I passed Texas I took my family out to a restaurant. I'll probably do the same if I pass CA. Spending $100 on a decent family dinner would be a drop in the bucket compared to the $1000 I'll have to shell out on an exam re-take + laptop fee if I fail.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:12 pm

CAnow wrote:
I had a dream that the results were ready. I went to the website, typed in my info and clicked submit, but then the next web page was so fuzzy I couldn't read it.
In my dream I was at my school for some reason with my friends. And we were all waiting for the results to come. When results came, the language was super ambiguous. Like it could have went either way. I panicked and I asked my friend what my results meant. He looked at it and said, "You failed, bro."

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
CAnow wrote:
In my dream I was at my school for some reason with my friends. And we were all waiting for the results to come. When results came, the language was super ambiguous. Like it could have went either way. I panicked and I asked my friend what my results meant. He looked at it and said, "You failed, bro."
That's horrible.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:34 pm

One week.... one very, very shitty week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”