2017 July California Bar

LockBox
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby LockBox » Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 pm

CAnow wrote:Anyone have any advice on the best way to organize a community property answer? I have done a few practice questions so far, and I feel like my analysis is all over the place.


Obviously, organization will heavily depend on what the question asks and what issues are present. However, I recall being told to go with SPA - Source, Presumption, Action. As in, what is the source of funds used to purchase the item in question, what is the presumption (presumed SP/CP), and then what Actions were taken which may override that presumption.

I recall in July, 2016 there was the threshold issue of a prenup and its validity - obviously SPA wouldn't be applied there. However, each item after that was analyzed in this format under the valid/invalid prenup bifurcation.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby a male human » Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 pm

CAnow wrote:Anyone have any advice on the best way to organize a community property answer? I have done a few practice questions so far, and I feel like my analysis is all over the place.

Check out this essay that scored an 85 (shared with permission from BarEssays.com)

http://www.makethisyourlasttime.com/wp- ... rop_85.pdf

One thing for sure is to add that template language in the beginning, at least the first paragraph in the above answer, the second one for good measure.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Guchster » Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm

a male human wrote:
CAnow wrote:Anyone have any advice on the best way to organize a community property answer? I have done a few practice questions so far, and I feel like my analysis is all over the place.

Check out this essay that scored an 85 (shared with permission from BarEssays.com)

http://www.makethisyourlasttime.com/wp- ... rop_85.pdf

One thing for sure is to add that template language in the beginning, at least the first paragraph in the above answer, the second one for good measure.


I'd just memorize that intro (the first 3 paragraphs) and apply the SPA analysis afterward. Should be all you need for a template (and then work on memorizing the rules and presumptions).

cazh2017
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 2:40 am

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby cazh2017 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks a lot for your input, rcharter1978, sitting_pretty, and guchster!

I'm somewhat surprised that you all are against driving though… I thought a lot of people would actually rather drive or uber to Pasadena especially if you're close to downtown LA. Well… I may have completely underestimated LA traffic…

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby a male human » Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 pm

My recommendation is to get a hotel nearby and walk there.

There's NO traffic, you get to come back during lunch and try to eat or relax, and you get to walk a bit after sitting for hours. My first attempt, driving out of the parking lot was hell. At least 45 minutes of cars piled up trying to get out of the parking structure. Even worse on the second day. Not the best way to go home after a long day. There was one poster in 2014 where she ate in her car during break. Doesn't sound very comfortable.

I commuted because I was living with parents at the time and lived 15 minutes away. Now I recommend going somewhere alone and having no contact with people who aren't taking the bar. This includes Uber drivers because I don't want to explain what led me to take the bar and what the bar is about. I would avoid classmates and friends too ideally. So that's anyone who's not taking the bar and anyone you'd be conscious of, at least until you finish the whole bar.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Guchster » Tue May 23, 2017 10:42 pm

cazh2017 wrote:Thanks a lot for your input, rcharter1978, sitting_pretty, and guchster!

I'm somewhat surprised that you all are against driving though… I thought a lot of people would actually rather drive or uber to Pasadena especially if you're close to downtown LA. Well… I may have completely underestimated LA traffic…


My pleasure. Traffic up from downtown isn't so bad in the mornings. It's just that you're going to be a pinky nail away from a nervous breakdown each morning and you'll thank yourself from minimizing the risk of anything screwing up things going smoothly. For example, a few weeks ago, a trailer on the 5 overturned and caused a bad collision and completely shutting down the Southbound 5. If God forbid something like that happened on the 110 the morning of the bar and you didn't leave early enough you wouldn't forgive yourself. You could just leave super early both days to give yourself plenty of buffer time tho.

Also, you'll want to be alone for (at least part of) lunch and immediately before and after the exam. Having somewhere to run to and eat is key, especially if you need somewhere to regather yourself after a bad session like I had each morning of the essays.

ETA: Do you live with anyone? I have an asshole cat who likes to wake me up at 4 in the morning. Also, if my S.O. disturbed my sleep or focus the days of the bar I would've placed divorce papers in escrow pending release of the results so I didn't want to jeopardize my relationship (I'm joking.....kind of....), which is why I got a hotel room.

Legallywoke
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Legallywoke » Wed May 24, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm going to try to get organized this weekend and get my study schedule in order.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve on the essays (yes I IRAC my answers). Can't seem to improve on the essays. I thought I nailed the essays in Feb 2017 but my scores definitely say otherwise.

Sincerely,
Lost & confused

CAnow wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:When are people starting to study?


I started studying back in March since I'm working full-time and only have a few hours per day to study for the exam.

If you have time to study full-time, I believe they usually say start studying 2 months before the exam.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby a male human » Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Legallywoke wrote:I'm going to try to get organized this weekend and get my study schedule in order.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve on the essays (yes I IRAC my answers). Can't seem to improve on the essays. I thought I nailed the essays in Feb 2017 but my scores definitely say otherwise.

Sincerely,
Lost & confused

CAnow wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:When are people starting to study?


I started studying back in March since I'm working full-time and only have a few hours per day to study for the exam.

If you have time to study full-time, I believe they usually say start studying 2 months before the exam.

How do you do on identifying issues? I think getting the issues right is half the battle. You could fudge the rules and application a bit and still get points, but no issue means zero credit on that issue.

Legallywoke
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Legallywoke » Wed May 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Well I thought I hit all the issues on the feb essays with the exception of the evidence question. I definetly did a lot of essay practice and issue spotting right before the exam. I was hitting all the major issues and even started to see the essay patterns that triggered specific issues, which is why I'm so confused now. I have no idea where I went wrong. I crushed the mbe so I don't think it's my knowledge of BLL.


.
a male human wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:I'm going to try to get organized this weekend and get my study schedule in order.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve on the essays (yes I IRAC my answers). Can't seem to improve on the essays. I thought I nailed the essays in Feb 2017 but my scores definitely say otherwise.

Sincerely,
Lost & confused

CAnow wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:When are people starting to study?


I started studying back in March since I'm working full-time and only have a few hours per day to study for the exam.

If you have time to study full-time, I believe they usually say start studying 2 months before the exam.

How do you do on identifying issues? I think getting the issues right is half the battle. You could fudge the rules and application a bit and still get points, but no issue means zero credit on that issue.

LockBox
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby LockBox » Wed May 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Legallywoke wrote:Well I thought I hit all the issues on the feb essays with the exception of the evidence question. I definetly did a lot of essay practice and issue spotting right before the exam. I was hitting all the major issues and even started to see the essay patterns that triggered specific issues, which is why I'm so confused now. I have no idea where I went wrong. I crushed the mbe so I don't think it's my knowledge of BLL.


.
a male human wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:I'm going to try to get organized this weekend and get my study schedule in order.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve on the essays (yes I IRAC my answers). Can't seem to improve on the essays. I thought I nailed the essays in Feb 2017 but my scores definitely say otherwise.

Sincerely,
Lost & confused

CAnow wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:When are people starting to study?


I started studying back in March since I'm working full-time and only have a few hours per day to study for the exam.

If you have time to study full-time, I believe they usually say start studying 2 months before the exam.

How do you do on identifying issues? I think getting the issues right is half the battle. You could fudge the rules and application a bit and still get points, but no issue means zero credit on that issue.


Can you explain the bolded a little more? When you say you practiced, did you write out full essays? Did you read through the released bar answers? Look through Baressays to see what a comparable pass/not-pass essay looked like? My suggestion is to write a lot more and not "right before the exam." The mantra that this is a marathon and not a sprint means that you need to start early, write a lot, and continue that practice up until game day. With 9 weeks left, my goal was to fully write out not less than 2 essays / day (I took sat/sun off).

In retrospect, I believe it was the work I put in the first 4.5 weeks that solidified my writing, not the latter portion for whatever reason. Don't just do what is easy - open that word doc and start writing.

Legallywoke
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Legallywoke » Wed May 24, 2017 6:47 pm

I wrote out close to 80 full essays, outline slightly more, read the ca sample answers, reviewed passing baressay answers (which was useless bc it's never clear how the grader assigned the score), and reviewed the Barbri essay answers. I started writing essay each week immediately after reviewing each topic. All my energy was focused on essay writing.

LockBox wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:Well I thought I hit all the issues on the feb essays with the exception of the evidence question. I definetly did a lot of essay practice and issue spotting right before the exam. I was hitting all the major issues and even started to see the essay patterns that triggered specific issues, which is why I'm so confused now. I have no idea where I went wrong. I crushed the mbe so I don't think it's my knowledge of BLL.


a male human wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:I'm going to try to get organized this weekend and get my study schedule in order.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve on the essays (yes I IRAC my answers). Can't seem to improve on the essays. I thought I nailed the essays in Feb 2017 but my scores definitely say otherwise.

Sincerely,
Lost & confused

[dying 2 months before the exam.

How do you do on identifying issues? I think getting the issues right is half the battle. You could fudge the rules and application a bit and still get points, but no issue means zero credit on that issue.


Can you explain the bolded a little more? When you say you practiced, did you write out full essays? Did you read through the released bar answers? Look through Baressays to see what a comparable pass/not-pass essay looked like? My suggestion is to write a lot more and not "right before the exam." The mantra that this is a marathon and not a sprint means that you need to start early, write a lot, and continue that practice up until game day. With 9 weeks left, my goal was to fully write out not less than 2 essays / day (I took sat/sun off).

In retrospect, I believe it was the work I put in the first 4.5 weeks that solidified my writing, not the latter portion for whatever reason. Don't just do what is easy - open that word doc and start writing.[/quote]

LockBox
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby LockBox » Wed May 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Legallywoke wrote:I wrote out close to 80 full essays, outline slightly more, read the ca sample answers, reviewed passing baressay answers (which was useless bc it's never clear how the grader assigned the score), and reviewed the Barbri essay answers. I started writing essay each week immediately after reviewing each topic. All my energy was focused on essay writing.

LockBox wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:Well I thought I hit all the issues on the feb essays with the exception of the evidence question. I definetly did a lot of essay practice and issue spotting right before the exam. I was hitting all the major issues and even started to see the essay patterns that triggered specific issues, which is why I'm so confused now. I have no idea where I went wrong. I crushed the mbe so I don't think it's my knowledge of BLL.


a male human wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:I'm going to try to get organized this weekend and get my study schedule in order.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve on the essays (yes I IRAC my answers). Can't seem to improve on the essays. I thought I nailed the essays in Feb 2017 but my scores definitely say otherwise.

Sincerely,
Lost & confused

[dying 2 months before the exam.

How do you do on identifying issues? I think getting the issues right is half the battle. You could fudge the rules and application a bit and still get points, but no issue means zero credit on that issue.


Can you explain the bolded a little more? When you say you practiced, did you write out full essays? Did you read through the released bar answers? Look through Baressays to see what a comparable pass/not-pass essay looked like? My suggestion is to write a lot more and not "right before the exam." The mantra that this is a marathon and not a sprint means that you need to start early, write a lot, and continue that practice up until game day. With 9 weeks left, my goal was to fully write out not less than 2 essays / day (I took sat/sun off).

In retrospect, I believe it was the work I put in the first 4.5 weeks that solidified my writing, not the latter portion for whatever reason. Don't just do what is easy - open that word doc and start writing.
[/quote]

For starters, I wouldn't say it's "useless" to look at baressays submissions. While it is somewhat subjective, the overall process of grading exams is fairly objective and the graders are constantly examining the precision with which they grade their essays. (A former head of the bar graders was a professor of mine). Nevertheless, it is a human endeavor and is privy to some subjectivity.

What was your scaled writing score? If you wrote out 80 full essays and still struggled with the exam then my recommendation would be hire someone solely for the purpose of reading your essays and giving you a score + feedback. Hopefully, a former bar grader. However, this advice will vary based on how far away you were from a 1440. Good luck.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Guchster » Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 pm

LockBox wrote:What was your scaled writing score? If you wrote out 80 full essays and still struggled with the exam then my recommendation would be hire someone solely for the purpose of reading your essays and giving you a score + feedback. Hopefully, a former bar grader. However, this advice will vary based on how far away you were from a 1440. Good luck.


Agree with this advice. Having wrote out 80 full essays, it sounds like you're spinning your wheels but going nowhere. If you're scoring in the 1300's (and/or you're scoring consistently poorly on the essays), I'd recommend hiring a tutor who was a former bar exam grader. They'll be able to work with you to identify what's causing the disconnect between your hard work and right approach with your failing score(s).

Legallywoke
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Legallywoke » Wed May 24, 2017 7:29 pm

I think you guys are right. The amount of essays should've given me an advantage, but it didn't. There's definetly a disconnect with my essays. Sigh... i know I need a bar tutor to review my essays but there's no way I can afford a tutor who only looks at the style of the essay and doesn't have thr knowledge pertaining to each question type. I spoke with a former bar grader a few months and he pretty much he said each grader is assigned a single question and it's unlikely they know how to answer every single question on the exam in order to review your essays substantively. Definetly makes me less likely to cough up $3k +

Guchster wrote:
LockBox wrote:What was your scaled writing score? If you wrote out 80 full essays and still struggled with the exam then my recommendation would be hire someone solely for the purpose of reading your essays and giving you a score + feedback. Hopefully, a former bar grader. However, this advice will vary based on how far away you were from a 1440. Good luck.


Agree with this advice. Having wrote out 80 full essays, it sounds like you're spinning your wheels but going nowhere. If you're scoring in the 1300's (and/or you're scoring consistently poorly on the essays), I'd recommend hiring a tutor who was a former bar exam grader. They'll be able to work with you to identify what's causing the disconnect between your hard work and right approach with your failing score(s).

LockBox
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby LockBox » Wed May 24, 2017 7:47 pm

You're right - bar graders are each assigned an essay and each of them only grade that essay.

You're wrong insofar as your thinking that you need to hire someone "who only looks at the style of the essay and doesn't have thr knowledge pertaining to each question type" whatever that means.

A former bar grader is going to have substantive knowledge of the law and will be able to give you advice on whether you're hitting the issues, succinctly writing down the rules and have good analysis pertaining to that.

You seem to be too caught up with how the graders score. You need to worry more about your substantive knowledge of the law and your ability to spot issues, recite rules etc. You say you IRAC, but that doesn't mean you actually do it. If you want proof, look at your results on the bar.

Get help from someone who has experience, or develop a critical eye for what is required and where you are lacking. At this point, a few thousand is cheap compared to how much you'll pay by not passing...

Legallywoke wrote:I think you guys are right. The amount of essays should've given me an advantage, but it didn't. There's definetly a disconnect with my essays. Sigh... i know I need a bar tutor to review my essays but there's no way I can afford a tutor who only looks at the style of the essay and doesn't have thr knowledge pertaining to each question type. I spoke with a former bar grader a few months and he pretty much he said each grader is assigned a single question and it's unlikely they know how to answer every single question on the exam in order to review your essays substantively. Definetly makes me less likely to cough up $3k +

Guchster wrote:
LockBox wrote:What was your scaled writing score? If you wrote out 80 full essays and still struggled with the exam then my recommendation would be hire someone solely for the purpose of reading your essays and giving you a score + feedback. Hopefully, a former bar grader. However, this advice will vary based on how far away you were from a 1440. Good luck.


Agree with this advice. Having wrote out 80 full essays, it sounds like you're spinning your wheels but going nowhere. If you're scoring in the 1300's (and/or you're scoring consistently poorly on the essays), I'd recommend hiring a tutor who was a former bar exam grader. They'll be able to work with you to identify what's causing the disconnect between your hard work and right approach with your failing score(s).

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby a male human » Wed May 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Legallywoke wrote:Well I thought I hit all the issues on the feb essays with the exception of the evidence question. I definetly did a lot of essay practice and issue spotting right before the exam. I was hitting all the major issues and even started to see the essay patterns that triggered specific issues, which is why I'm so confused now. I have no idea where I went wrong. I crushed the mbe so I don't think it's my knowledge of BLL.

Better way to tell might be to look at your essay answers when you get them back. You thought you hit all the issues, but we don't know that until we compare them with model answers (and perhaps actual answers on BarEssays -- high- and low-scoring ones).

dredd16
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby dredd16 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 am

Legallywoke wrote:I think you guys are right. The amount of essays should've given me an advantage, but it didn't. There's definetly a disconnect with my essays. Sigh... i know I need a bar tutor to review my essays but there's no way I can afford a tutor who only looks at the style of the essay and doesn't have thr knowledge pertaining to each question type. I spoke with a former bar grader a few months and he pretty much he said each grader is assigned a single question and it's unlikely they know how to answer every single question on the exam in order to review your essays substantively. Definetly makes me less likely to cough up $3k +

Guchster wrote:
LockBox wrote:What was your scaled writing score? If you wrote out 80 full essays and still struggled with the exam then my recommendation would be hire someone solely for the purpose of reading your essays and giving you a score + feedback. Hopefully, a former bar grader. However, this advice will vary based on how far away you were from a 1440. Good luck.


Agree with this advice. Having wrote out 80 full essays, it sounds like you're spinning your wheels but going nowhere. If you're scoring in the 1300's (and/or you're scoring consistently poorly on the essays), I'd recommend hiring a tutor who was a former bar exam grader. They'll be able to work with you to identify what's causing the disconnect between your hard work and right approach with your failing score(s).


Since you don't seem to be able to afford a tutor, check out my story and tips here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=277682&p=9987596#p9987596

If you're hitting all the major issues and seeing the essay patterns, maybe the problem is your presentation especially of the sub-issues that are triggered within the rule statements of the major issues.

User avatar
Alt123
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Alt123 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:59 am

Finding myself pushing ahead with Barbri because there is so little material per day right now. Is this a bad idea? Should I just be reviewing other subjects instead of progressing my PSP?

Legallywoke
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Legallywoke » Thu May 25, 2017 11:19 am

This forum isn't very cell phone friendly, so excuse the typos. But I think I have a pretty good foundation and know BLL. My mbe was 152. Yes there's a disconnect with my essay and I'll need to focus on that this time. Thanks for the advice. :)

LockBox wrote:You're right - bar graders are each assigned an essay and each of them only grade that essay.

You're wrong insofar as your thinking that you need to hire someone "who only looks at the style of the essay and doesn't have thr knowledge pertaining to each question type" whatever that means.

A former bar grader is going to have substantive knowledge of the law and will be able to give you advice on whether you're hitting the issues, succinctly writing down the rules and have good analysis pertaining to that.

You seem to be too caught up with how the graders score. You need to worry more about your substantive knowledge of the law and your ability to spot issues, recite rules etc. You say you IRAC, but that doesn't mean you actually do it. If you want proof, look at your results on the bar.

Get help from someone who has experience, or develop a critical eye for what is required and where you are lacking. At this point, a few thousand is cheap compared to how much you'll pay by not passing...

Legallywoke wrote:I think you guys are right. The amount of essays should've given me an advantage, but it didn't. There's definetly a disconnect with my essays. Sigh... i know I need a bar tutor to review my essays but there's no way I can afford a tutor who only looks at the style of the essay and doesn't have thr knowledge pertaining to each question type. I spoke with a former bar grader a few months and he pretty much he said each grader is assigned a single question and it's unlikely they know how to answer every single question on the exam in order to review your essays substantively. Definetly makes me less likely to cough up $3k +

Guchster wrote:
LockBox wrote:What was your scaled writing score? If you wrote out 80 full essays and still struggled with the exam then my recommendation would be hire someone solely for the purpose of reading your essays and giving you a score + feedback. Hopefully, a former bar grader. However, this advice will vary based on how far away you were from a 1440. Good luck.


Agree with this advice. Having wrote out 80 full essays, it sounds like you're spinning your wheels but going nowhere. If you're scoring in the 1300's (and/or you're scoring consistently poorly on the essays), I'd recommend hiring a tutor who was a former bar exam grader. They'll be able to work with you to identify what's causing the disconnect between your hard work and right approach with your failing score(s).

Legallywoke
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Legallywoke » Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 am

I think so too. I'll have a better idea of what went wrong with the essays when I get them back late June (can't believe it takes them that long).

I'm thinking about a tutor for the essays but ill have figure out where I'm going to come up with at least $3,500. Lol. Ridiculous.


a male human wrote:
Legallywoke wrote:Well I thought I hit all the issues on the feb essays with the exception of the evidence question. I definetly did a lot of essay practice and issue spotting right before the exam. I was hitting all the major issues and even started to see the essay patterns that triggered specific issues, which is why I'm so confused now. I have no idea where I went wrong. I crushed the mbe so I don't think it's my knowledge of BLL.

Better way to tell might be to look at your essay answers when you get them back. You thought you hit all the issues, but we don't know that until we compare them with model answers (and perhaps actual answers on BarEssays -- high- and low-scoring ones).

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Guchster » Thu May 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Alt123 wrote:Finding myself pushing ahead with Barbri because there is so little material per day right now. Is this a bad idea? Should I just be reviewing other subjects instead of progressing my PSP?



I don't think there's any harm in working ahead, but I have no idea where Barbri is at in the process (e.g., still doing the intro lectures or already starting content). Barbri throws an ONSLAUGHT of crap about a month into the course, and there will come a point in the coming weeks where you can barely keep your head above water and several weeks where you feel you're drowning. I worked ahead a couple of days at a time (at most 1 week)--I had to take the bar while working full time, so I knew I needed to get ahead when I had the opportunity.

With that said, I have a few caveats.

1. Don't burn yourself out. The aphorism "it's a marathon, not a sprint" has never been more apt than with the bar. The last month is very important, especially the last 2 weeks before the bar, so you want to make sure you time when you're going to peak correctly. If you're twiddling your thumbs, keep going, but don't think you need to do all the things right now--there will be a time for that shortly.

2. Don't just go through the motions to try to get through the course as soon as possible. Obtaining mastery of the bar is a painful but necessary process and it is going to require you to put in a lot of really hard work. Make sure you're mindful about learning and internalizing the material and not just trying to get through it all as quickly as possible. There are many people in this forum who will end up completing 95% of Barbri and wonder why they failed--and it almost always had to do with someone who half-assed the content instead of wrestling with concepts and the material.

3. Consider previewing the state subjects, especially if you're from out of state. Don't worry about memorizing anything at this point, but as an out-of-state attorney, I had zero exposure to community property and CA civ pro and evidence (which are very different than NY law). Someone gave me the advice to read through an outline of each state subject early on in the bar course and it was useful to understand the layout of the land. Barbri first put CA subjects in front of us 2-3 weeks before the bar exam, which can be really emotionally stressful if you're learning a ton of subjects from scratch.

User avatar
TheLegalOne
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby TheLegalOne » Thu May 25, 2017 9:24 pm

I still have not accepted that I did not pass the Feb2017 CBX. However, since I just paid for Jul2017, I better set my denial aside and get back on the horse. I'm working full-time, with a heavy business travel calendar in June. Saying a prayer that I can keep my eyes on the prize because every time I think of how freaking hard I went last round and still failed, I get pissed! Good luck to everyone studying for the Jul17 CBX!

Essay 1: 75/60/65
Essay 2: 55/60/57.5
Essay 3: 65/65/65
Essay 4: 55/55/55
Essay 5: 70/65/67.5
Essay 6: 60/60/60
PTA: 50/50/50
PTB: 65/65/65

Raw Written: 600.0
Scaled Written: 1355.6700
Scaled MBE: 1531.00

Total Scaled: 1417.xxxx

MBE %tile
Civ Pro: 74.4
Con Law 84.8
K: 83.7
Crim Law: 83.2
Evidence: 86.1
Prop: 68.1
Torts: 77.6

Local: 86.0 / Ntl. 89.8

bacillusanthracis
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Alt123 wrote:Finding myself pushing ahead with Barbri because there is so little material per day right now. Is this a bad idea? Should I just be reviewing other subjects instead of progressing my PSP?


You'll get there, and then there won't be enough time in the day.. er, When did you start?

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Guchster » Thu May 25, 2017 10:10 pm

TheLegalOne wrote:I still have not accepted that I did not pass the Feb2017 CBX. However, since I just paid for Jul2017, I better set my denial aside and get back on the horse. I'm working full-time, with a heavy business travel calendar in June. Saying a prayer that I can keep my eyes on the prize because every time I think of how freaking hard I went last round and still failed, I get pissed! Good luck to everyone studying for the Jul17 CBX!

Essay 1: 75/60/65
Essay 2: 55/60/57.5
Essay 3: 65/65/65
Essay 4: 55/55/55
Essay 5: 70/65/67.5
Essay 6: 60/60/60
PTA: 50/50/50
PTB: 65/65/65

Raw Written: 600.0
Scaled Written: 1355.6700
Scaled MBE: 1531.00

Total Scaled: 1417.xxxx

MBE %tile
Civ Pro: 74.4
Con Law 84.8
K: 83.7
Crim Law: 83.2
Evidence: 86.1
Prop: 68.1
Torts: 77.6

Local: 86.0 / Ntl. 89.8


Damn, looks like it came down to just writing a bad demand letter re: PTA.

You just need to maintain. Assuming a 50/50 split between the essays and the MBE, you would've gotten a 1443 and passed the bar in February. I'm sorry you have to go through this again, but you don't have to improve--you just need to perform the same and looks like you can even afford a slightly worse performance.

Legallywoke
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Legallywoke » Fri May 26, 2017 11:27 am

Looking for a tutor that was a former bar grader for the July exam.
Please PM me if you have any recommendations, whether they were helpful in identifying your problem areas, and price info.

Thanks in advance!

My feb scores:
1. 60
2. 55
3. 50
4. 55
5. 55
6. 60
PTA 55
PTB 65

MbE: 152.3 (ca: 84.3, national: 88.7)
Total: 1364.29




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests