2017 July California Bar

jman77
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby jman77 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:
jman77 wrote:Btw, I wonder where that troll dimetech is now. I believe the fellow owes me some money on the bet we made a few months ago...



what was the bet?


See post immediately above.

scard
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby scard » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:42 pm

ttix67 wrote:
scard wrote:
SouthernOutWest wrote:
scard wrote:anyone know if the essay subjects have been released yet? I can't find it


http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... ions_R.pdf


this doesn't tell me what the actual subjects were or more specifically, whether that one contriversial question was an evidence or PR or crossover.


I think page 2 of this is what you're looking for:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... 201707.pdf


yes thats exactly what I was looking for thanks!

maxmartin
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby maxmartin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:01 am

devastated_examinee wrote:First-time taker and...failed :(

Congrats to those who passed.


Wait for the scorecard to see where the weak spot is. Then work on it, you will pass next time!!!

User avatar
TheLegalOne
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby TheLegalOne » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:21 am

I finally passed the CBX! It took a few years but it's done!

Thank you to the person who posted that we should check our CA Bar account! I closed on a home yesterday and moved in today. Hubby packed my office a couple of months ago and didn't realize he packed my bar prep material and exam badge. I was prepared to wait for the public pass list on Sunday until I checked out TLS a couple of hours ago!!!!

Thank you to @A Male Human for sticking around, posting tips and encouraging repeaters. I studied from the Magic Sheets (added annotations during my study period) for the final two weeks & felt pretty solid going in.

Congrats to all who passed. For those who have to take it again, hang in there and push through it.

Pbjd21
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Pbjd21 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 am

First and foremost I want you to know I graduated law school in May of 2014. I took the bar every time minis feb 2017 due to the new format changing. Every failure felt more insurmountable than the last. Being my 6th time taking it and the cut score ultimiatelynbeing jeotnthe sane, I had little confidence. But I can say proudly I passed. And it was worth every single struggle. It actually feels better because of it. So for this that did not pass and feel that black hole, I just want to say, I’ve been there...5 times actually. But as soon as you feel like quitting I beg you to stop. I felt the same. More as the failures piled up. And when I checked my name and it confirmed pass, I called my mother and we both just cried on the phone. And that exact moment was worth it all. So please don’t give up. It’s anhard exam. It’s full of political nonsense. But never ever give up on yourself. I wish you all the best.

thecogito
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 am

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby thecogito » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:47 am

looking back on this this was almost too easy. did it get significantly easier with the format change? what a TTT exam.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:04 am

thecogito wrote:looking back on this this was almost too easy. did it get significantly easier with the format change? what a TTT exam.


If only the bar exam had a means of measuring lawyer humility...

thecogito
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 am

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby thecogito » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:23 am

goldenflash19 wrote:
thecogito wrote:looking back on this this was almost too easy. did it get significantly easier with the format change? what a TTT exam.


If only the bar exam had a means of measuring lawyer humility...


SHRUG ... just sharing my two cents, guy. not sure why u mad about this.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 am

thecogito wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:
thecogito wrote:looking back on this this was almost too easy. did it get significantly easier with the format change? what a TTT exam.


If only the bar exam had a means of measuring lawyer humility...


SHRUG ... just sharing my two cents, guy. not sure why u mad about this.


Not mad about it, dude. Just think the post shows a lack of social wherewithal.

drawingasmile
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:39 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby drawingasmile » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 pm

So the public pass list came out today... however, when I decided to check for my own name, I realized (after panicking) that they switched my last name and first name by mistake. =_____= Would I need to contact them for this?

mcmand
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby mcmand » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:19 pm

thecogito wrote:looking back on this this was almost too easy. did it get significantly easier with the format change? what a TTT exam.


You're an unempathetic dick, and I wish that was something that could get you banned from this forum.

Other lawyers will realize that about you. Be prepared to never get any slack from opposing counsel because they hate your arrogant self.

mcmand
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby mcmand » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:22 pm

drawingasmile wrote:So the public pass list came out today... however, when I decided to check for my own name, I realized (after panicking) that they switched my last name and first name by mistake. =_____= Would I need to contact them for this?


Calbar really is a hot mess. I wouldn't worry too much unless your employer is trying to verify you passed. As long as your bar exam requirement shows up as fulfilled in your application status. I'm assuming in your app your names are in the right order.

User avatar
Alt123
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Alt123 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Guys, it's a troll account. It registered the same day results are out.

boxinggirl
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 am

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby boxinggirl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Zarara wrote:
jman77 wrote:FYI:

https://www.law.com/therecorder/sites/t ... 1017224817

"Leah Wilson, executive director of the state bar, said she was pleased by the results. 'We look forward to studying the factors that may have resulted in the increase,' Wilson said in a prepared statement


I don't think Leah Wilson is being forthright with this information about an increased pass rate. As can be viewed from the summmary of results PDF, the total number of examiners put into the pass rate equation changed drastically as of this year.

(http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... 201707.pdf)

In the July 2017 administration of this exam, only those "completing the examination" were included, compared to the July 2016 administration, which included all applicants.

Thus, instead of the 8,545 number used to derive the July 2017 pass rate, the total applicant number, 9,837 applicants should have been used (which is applicants minus those who were found ineligible or who dropped).

Comparing apples to apples:
July 2017: 9,837 applicants, 4,236 passed = 43.06% pass rate
July 2016: 7,737 applicants, 3332 passed = 43.07% pass rate

So, there effectively is NO evidence of an increase in pass rate. Instead, there is actually a very slight decrease.


Wow, sneaky!

sk1130
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby sk1130 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Does anyone know when to expect to receive the admissions packet? My firm wants me to get sworn in ASAP but apparently you need the card from the mail

maxmartin
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby maxmartin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:33 pm

sk1130 wrote:Does anyone know when to expect to receive the admissions packet? My firm wants me to get sworn in ASAP but apparently you need the card from the mail


It was mailed out Friday. Most of us should get today, east coast may get it tomorrow.

sk1130
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby sk1130 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:59 pm

maxmartin wrote:
sk1130 wrote:Does anyone know when to expect to receive the admissions packet? My firm wants me to get sworn in ASAP but apparently you need the card from the mail


It was mailed out Friday. Most of us should get today, east coast may get it tomorrow.


Thank you!!

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 pm

maxmartin wrote:
sk1130 wrote:Does anyone know when to expect to receive the admissions packet? My firm wants me to get sworn in ASAP but apparently you need the card from the mail


It was mailed out Friday. Most of us should get today, east coast may get it tomorrow.



Does anyone know if the mailing has a "do not forward" message stamped on it?

I had to forward all my mail to a PO Box, because of a stolen/lost mail problem at my residence. It was too late for me to change my mailing address in time for the results. I hope the admission packet will get forwarded properly to my PO Box.

User avatar
fear_no_evil
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby fear_no_evil » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:21 pm

I passed! It took multiple attempts, but I passed. Thanks to all the posters on this forum like " a male human" & "2807" . The first time I took the exam I scored less than 1300, last summer I missed it by 1.4 points, now its over! If you haven't passed yet.....

DON'T-----GIVE---- UP!

Be realistic about what you need to improve on and keep at it.

You CAN do it!

Don't listen to anybody who tells you otherwise.

User avatar
catechumen
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby catechumen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Does anyone know the process for requesting a hand grade of your MBE scantron? I came super close to passing, like so close I want to scream! Anyway, any info anyone has would be appreciated, thanks!

Incidentally I found the MBE appeal process referenced in this post. But no link to the form or what it is called. Thanks! viewtopic.php?f=41&t=244425&start=2775

User avatar
fear_no_evil
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby fear_no_evil » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:34 pm

catechumen wrote:Does anyone know the process for requesting a hand grade of your MBE scantron? I came super close to passing, like so close I want to scream! Anyway, any info anyone has would be appreciated, thanks!

Incidentally I found the MBE appeal process referenced in this post. But no link to the form or what it is called. Thanks! viewtopic.php?f=41&t=244425&start=2775


The link to the form is here. The $25 is worth knowing for sure, but don't get your hopes up, I don't know of anyone whose score has actually changed after re-scoring.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... 0417_R.pdf

User avatar
fear_no_evil
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby fear_no_evil » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 pm

fear_no_evil wrote:
catechumen wrote:Does anyone know the process for requesting a hand grade of your MBE scantron? I came super close to passing, like so close I want to scream! Anyway, any info anyone has would be appreciated, thanks!

Incidentally I found the MBE appeal process referenced in this post. But no link to the form or what it is called. Thanks! viewtopic.php?f=41&t=244425&start=2775


The link to the form is here. The $25 is worth knowing for sure, but don't get your hopes up, I don't know of anyone whose score has actually changed after re-scoring.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... 0417_R.pdf


Actually its $50 now.

Got'eem
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 am

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Got'eem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

1434.5 even after examsoft shutdown in the middle of the Pt in which I scored a 55. All I can do is laugh

mcmand
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby mcmand » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Got'eem wrote:1434.5 even after examsoft shutdown in the middle of the Pt in which I scored a 55. All I can do is laugh


That sucks. Maybe get the MBE hand grade? (if you haven't already ordered it)

Got'eem
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 am

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby Got'eem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm

mcmand wrote:
Got'eem wrote:1434.5 even after examsoft shutdown in the middle of the Pt in which I scored a 55. All I can do is laugh


That sucks. Maybe get the MBE hand grade? (if you haven't already ordered it)



What is that, 1 question from 1440?




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lakers180 and 15 guests