2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mcmand

Silver

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by mcmand » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Got'eem wrote:
mcmand wrote:
Got'eem wrote:1434.5 even after examsoft shutdown in the middle of the Pt in which I scored a 55. All I can do is laugh
That sucks. Maybe get the MBE hand grade? (if you haven't already ordered it)

What is that, 1 question from 1440?
It very well could be. Might as well spend $50 on the hand-grade. If it's unchanged, it's a small amount of money to lose. If you pass, you get all the money/time back from signing up for next exam (presumably, assuming CalBar aren't douches about it).
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
sk1130 wrote:Does anyone know when to expect to receive the admissions packet? My firm wants me to get sworn in ASAP but apparently you need the card from the mail
It was mailed out Friday. Most of us should get today, east coast may get it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the mailing has a "do not forward" message stamped on it?

I had to forward all my mail to a PO Box, because of a stolen/lost mail problem at my residence. It was too late for me to change my mailing address in time for the results. I hope the admission packet will get forwarded properly to my PO Box.
No such warning. I already got mine.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Got'eem wrote:1434.5 even after examsoft shutdown in the middle of the Pt in which I scored a 55. All I can do is laugh
I totally feel your pain. Scored 1435 with 159 MBE last year. Didn't do hand grade MBE, figured it is unlikely Scranton got it wrong unless you have multiple erase and refill on your answer sheet. It is 50 bucks but, yes one question will push you over 1440.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:02 pm

When an affidavit is taken before a judge or a court in another state or in a foreign country, the genuineness of the signature of the judge, the existence of the court and the fact that such judge is a member thereof must be certified by the clerk of the court, under the seal thereof. (Code Civ. Proc. § 2015.) Affidavits and oaths made by military personnel are governed by California Civ. Code § 1183.5.

Do people know how hard this process is? Any cost associated with it? I am debating whether I should fly back to CA to take the oath.

JonFish233

New

Post by JonFish233 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm

maxmartin wrote:When an affidavit is taken before a judge or a court in another state or in a foreign country, the genuineness of the signature of the judge, the existence of the court and the fact that such judge is a member thereof must be certified by the clerk of the court, under the seal thereof. (Code Civ. Proc. § 2015.) Affidavits and oaths made by military personnel are governed by California Civ. Code § 1183.5.

Do people know how hard this process is? Any cost associated with it? I am debating whether I should fly back to CA to take the oath.
I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems weird that when in California, there are 23 different types of people who can administer the oath (one of them being a notary public, meaning I could go down to my local UPS store to get sworn in), but the number of people authorized to administer it out-of-state is so limited.

For anyone interested, here is the full list of who can administer the oath inside and outside of California: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... 0116_R.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:26 pm

I think this limitation on out-of-state swearing in is common. In Washington, you have to actually request approval for an out-of-state swearing in from a specific judge in advance, and it gets pre-approved by the WSBA (who sends a request to the Supreme Court clerk, who then issues an order permitting it). But, Washington is a lot smaller than California, so it's more manageable to do that.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

JonFish233 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:When an affidavit is taken before a judge or a court in another state or in a foreign country, the genuineness of the signature of the judge, the existence of the court and the fact that such judge is a member thereof must be certified by the clerk of the court, under the seal thereof. (Code Civ. Proc. § 2015.) Affidavits and oaths made by military personnel are governed by California Civ. Code § 1183.5.

I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems weird that when in California, there are 23 different types of people who can administer the oath (one of them being a notary public, meaning I could go down to my local UPS store to get sworn in), but the number of people authorized to administer it out-of-state is so limited.

For anyone interested, here is the full list of who can administer the oath inside and outside of California: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... 0116_R.pdf
Also the language is so confusing, "certified by the clerk of the court" Which court? Are they certifying themselves?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Almost forgot! Would any of you who got back essays in the past be willing to donate them to my free essay answer bank? Scans or photos or even directly shipped to me would be fine. Please PM me if you're willing to share.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm

The info in the admission package is so sketchy. If I want to participate the oath ceremony, do I need to notify them which location I am going? Any documents I need to bring to the ceremony?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Incognitos

New

Post by Incognitos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Anyone else live in California and haven’t gotten their packet yet?

If I can’t attend the ceremony that my school is doing, I can go to a notary, yes?

laballermvp9

New

Post by laballermvp9 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Incognitos wrote:Anyone else live in California and haven’t gotten their packet yet?

If I can’t attend the ceremony that my school is doing, I can go to a notary, yes?
I live in LA and have not received my packet. Should probably arrive within the next few days.

TheEffinNewGuy

New

Post by TheEffinNewGuy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 pm

laballermvp9 wrote:
Incognitos wrote:Anyone else live in California and haven’t gotten their packet yet?

I live in LA and have not received my packet. Should probably arrive within the next few days.
I also live in LA and haven't received my packet.

Yogagirl

New

Post by Yogagirl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:54 pm

I live in Riverside County and received my scores.

Question: Does anyone know how the scores from MBE are transferred from NCBE to The State Bar of California? I ask, because there is a huge discrepancy in my scores from February to July, but only in one area. It's seems odd because my score did not improve despite roughy 1300 Adaptabar and all of Barbri's practice tests, of which I was on par. There are no words to adequately describe how I feel right now, but guess that some of you may be able to relate.

Also, one of my essays received a zero because it was handwritten (Exam Soft froze midway through). The proctor gave me a blue book and I submitted it; she told me I might be called into the work room, but no one followed up (though I did). She said everything should be okay. Even if they add the grade I will not make 1440, but it will be close. A few extra MBEs and I might have made it over the top.

Any input will be welcomed.

For those of you sticking around for February, good luck as you move forward; I will be right here with you.
Last edited by Yogagirl on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 am

Yogagirl wrote:I live in Riverside County and received my packet.

Question: Does anyone know how the scores from MBE are transferred from NCBE to The State Bar of California? I ask, because there is a huge discrepancy in my scores from February to July, but only in one area. It's seems odd because my score did not improve despite roughy 1300 Adaptabar and all of Barbri's practice tests, of which I was on par. There are no words to adequately describe how I feel right now, but guess that some of you may be able to relate.

Also, one of my essays received a zero because it was handwritten (Exam Soft froze midway through). The proctor gave me a blue book and I submitted it; she told me I might be called into the work room, but no one followed up (though I did). She said everything should be okay. Even if they add the grade I will not make 1440, but it will be close. A few extra MBEs and I might have made it over the top.

For those of you sticking around for February, good luck as you move forward; I will be right here with you.

What was your overall percentage on Adaptibar and what was your percentage for the last 350 questions? My preliminary suggestion would be to do 50 Adaptibar question per day with a goal of around 2300 total questions answered by the time the Feb bar rolls around.

JonFish233

New

Post by JonFish233 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 am

Correct, all you need to do is fill out the front of the registration card, then sign/date the back side in front of a notary public (who will do the same, and stamp his or her seal on it). As soon as you mail the registration card, you are officially a lawyer and can start practicing immediately. You won't get an actual bar number until the registration card is processed, which takes one or two weeks. You won't be notified that it's been processed (I don't think)--they just tell you to look yourself up on the state bar attorney search about two weeks after mailing the card (or log in to your state bar account), and the bar number will be there.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 am

Yogagirl wrote:I live in Riverside County and received my packet.

How is this even possible? I though essay is scaled from 40 to 100. Even you wrote one word, you should get at least 40.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:19 am

JonFish233 wrote:

Actually those 23 are not limited to CA. My friend said he just sent the card with his own state notary public, the bar accepted it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawJunky

New

Post by LawJunky » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 am

Mod edit: advertising your services is not allowed.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:25 am

Personal tutoring for the California bar $500

I am a licensed CA attorney.
I passed the CA bar on the second attempt.
Scored 1710 on MBE.
We'll use phone/skype/webex
We'll focus on Issue Spotting, IRAC, Element Analysis, PT, MBE

Call 206.240.7676
I will do it for $1,000

nervous_wreck

New

Post by nervous_wreck » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 am

Does anybody know when they will post the selected model essays? Dying to see question 2

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Is the admissions packet supposed to be a full size envelope w/ tracking or anything? I expected mine to be in the mail today but USPS informed delivery doesn't have it coming in the mail today. I'm trying to see if they'll shove it into my apartment mailbox or if it's rigid enough/tracking info that they'll leave it with the leasing office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm

lsatextreme wrote:Is the admissions packet supposed to be a full size envelope w/ tracking or anything? I expected mine to be in the mail today but USPS informed delivery doesn't have it coming in the mail today. I'm trying to see if they'll shove it into my apartment mailbox or if it's rigid enough/tracking info that they'll leave it with the leasing office.
It's not that big. All the full size documents are folded in half, and the registration card is about the size of a half page of paper. The envelope is designed around 5.5x8.5 inches. It will fit in your mailbox.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:15 pm

lsatextreme wrote:Is the admissions packet supposed to be a full size envelope w/ tracking or anything? I expected mine to be in the mail today but USPS informed delivery doesn't have it coming in the mail today. I'm trying to see if they'll shove it into my apartment mailbox or if it's rigid enough/tracking info that they'll leave it with the leasing office.
No tracking, first class mail. It will go to your mailbox.

turtles

New

Post by turtles » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:46 pm

nervous_wreck wrote:Does anybody know when they will post the selected model essays? Dying to see question 2
Seconding this question—and do they usually post the MPT model answers at the same time?

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Going to sign up for the Feb exam soon. But curious, is there anything to the notion that Feb exams are more difficult than July exams? Or is this perception due to a greater proportion of Feb test-takers being more likely to be out of school + re-takers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”