2017 July California Bar

wafflehausenberg

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Postby wafflehausenberg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:59 pm

14 days! It feels like forever, and I'm dreading the 17th, but I'm thankful that the vast majority of our wait is over.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:56 pm

wafflehausenberg wrote:14 days! It feels like forever, and I'm dreading the 17th, but I'm thankful that the vast majority of our wait is over.

Still far away.

InterAlia1961

Postby InterAlia1961 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:17 pm

The days are dragging now. This is going to be the longest two weeks ever.

krispymenudo

Postby krispymenudo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:07 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:The days are dragging now. This is going to be the longest two weeks ever.

Time was going by really quickly until yesterday. My office "let me go." Got hired in July, started in August after the Bar with the express agreement that I'd be converted to an attorney when I got my license. Well apparently now they "don't have the money to pay for an attorney," so instead they're replacing me with another law clerk. Ugh these 2 weeks are going to drag.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:23 am

krispymenudo wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:The days are dragging now. This is going to be the longest two weeks ever.

Time was going by really quickly until yesterday. My office "let me go." Got hired in July, started in August after the Bar with the express agreement that I'd be converted to an attorney when I got my license. Well apparently now they "don't have the money to pay for an attorney," so instead they're replacing me with another law clerk. Ugh these 2 weeks are going to drag.

Damn, that's some bad timing. I will be fantasizing on your behalf that you pass and feel smug that they didn't decide to keep you and if they want you back they're going to need to make you an offer you can't refuse.

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 am

krispymenudo wrote:

That is some bullshit. I know zero things about employment law but it sounds like they're screwing you over in a way that isn't kosher.

6TimeFailure

Postby 6TimeFailure » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:22 am

I already started my bar review on Friday.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 am

krispymenudo wrote:

that sounds hella shady and sleazy. It may not seem like it now, but you're dodging a bullet if that's how they're going to act or if their finances are that low.

fredofred

Postby fredofred » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:15 am

that feeling when you just remembered you fucked up the pt

InterAlia1961

Postby InterAlia1961 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 am

fredofred wrote:that feeling when you just remembered you fucked up the pt

I didn't even talk about the dog alerting in the hallway. Just said the law applied to the couple's cabin and reasonable suspicion couldn't be predicated on a mistake. Talked about the mistake in physical appearance and the wrong room number. Also failed to talk about the fact that the suspect was traveling alone, but the woman identified herself as Mrs. Davis. Not feeling real good about the Pt.

Jay.T17

Postby Jay.T17 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:29 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
fredofred wrote:that feeling when you just remembered you fucked up the pt

I didn't even talk about the dog alerting in the hallway. Just said the law applied to the couple's cabin and reasonable suspicion couldn't be predicated on a mistake. Talked about the mistake in physical appearance and the wrong room number. Also failed to talk about the fact that the suspect was traveling alone, but the woman identified herself as Mrs. Davis. Not feeling real good about the Pt.

I doubt that a passing answer needs to discuss every single fact, even if it’s relevant. Hindsight will always be 20/20. The vast majority of test takers will miss a fact regarding the mistake in the search. (There were so many) I think if you set up a good framework and support your findings with some of the facts you should be able to get a 65.

Yogagirl

Postby Yogagirl » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:03 am

I also messed up the PT because I ran out of time. My blood sugar dropped and needed to splash cold water on my face. I feel good about everything else, but do not expect more than a 50 on the PT. I have no idea how to feel right now. I am a full time teacher and this is my second attempt (after five years as an evening student). My essays were solid but can never tell with MBE questions. I used Adaptibar and Barbri completing at least 1200 questions (this time around) I am having nightmares about the PT.

yost

Postby yost » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:03 am

I keep thinking about what the next six months will be like if/when I fail. This is miserable.

InterAlia1961

Postby InterAlia1961 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:18 am

Yogagirl wrote:I also messed up the PT because I ran out of time. My blood sugar dropped and needed to splash cold water on my face. I feel good about everything else, but do not expect more than a 50 on the PT. I have no idea how to feel right now. I am a full time teacher and this is my second attempt (after five years as an evening student). My essays were solid but can never tell with MBE questions. I used Adaptibar and Barbri completing at least 1200 questions (this time around) I am having nightmares about the PT.

If you did well on the essays and the MBE, the Pt shouldn't tank you. The waiting borders on cruel. This time around, it was a full day shorter. One would think that it would take less time to grade as well. Apparently, there isn't a correlation. None at all.

CAnow

Postby CAnow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:36 am

Everyone except California has their results now.

Incognitos

Postby Incognitos » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:42 pm

I still freak out day and night.

Ugh...

Day 1. I’ll never forget. 5 essays, 1 PT.
1. Com Prop- Good

( Here’s where I fucked up... 2.Pure Remedies- Blanked out, not sure if I wrote anything, I forgot the words to the nemonic I use for it.
3. PR/Evidence: This one scared everyone, it was a mess. I wrote crap.)

4. Civ Pro: Good, with the exception of me doing a supplemental jurisdiction analysis instead of joinder for like 1 of the 4 to 5 questions.
5. Torts: Good.

PT: Good, I think I did fine. I heard others messed up because they forgot to use the library.

That’s why I’m so mad, if I just remembered the remedies nemonic I would have been fine.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Incognitos wrote:I still freak out day and night.

Ugh...

1. Com Prop- Good

( Here’s where I fucked up... 2.Pure Remedies- Blanked out, not sure if I wrote anything, I forgot the words to the nemonic I use for it.

4. Civ Pro: Good, with the exception of me doing a supplemental jurisdiction analysis instead of joinder for like 1 of the 4 to 5 questions.

PT: Good, I think I did fine. I heard others messed up because they forgot to use the library.

That’s why I’m so mad, if I just remembered the remedies nemonic I would have been fine.

Any insight as to what you used to study for the PT? Since they shortened it, I haven't been able to find good materials to replicate the 90 minute format (February taker).

bacillusanthracis

Postby bacillusanthracis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:20 pm

maxmartin wrote:Graders might tighten the grades in anticipation of the lower passing score. Now the passing score is upheld, let's see if we are fu..ed. It is so unfair to see the first time NY pass rate is around 86% for ABA schools. LOL

This is what worries me--now that the Court has washed its hands of any responsibility or authority, the State Bar can pretty much do anything it wants. If the passing rate falls to say 29%, oh well.

This was my first time taking it, so if I passed, then it's a big Whatever for me. But I think that's part of the problem. The people who have an interest in this issue are those who are the most powerless to do anything about it, and most likely will pass long before something is ever done about it.

That said, if I failed, then I'll just take it again. As much as I like to bitch about nearly everything law school related, even I can see how grossly unproductive it is to complain about the test. It is not gonna change, so if I didn't pass, then I have to figure out why and pursue a different course of action the second time around.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:26 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
maxmartin wrote:Graders might tighten the grades in anticipation of the lower passing score. Now the passing score is upheld, let's see if we are fu..ed. It is so unfair to see the first time NY pass rate is around 86% for ABA schools. LOL

This is what worries me--now that the Court has washed its hands of any responsibility or authority, the State Bar can pretty much do anything it wants. If the passing rate falls to say 29%, oh well.

This was my first time taking it, so if I passed, then it's a big Whatever for me. But I think that's part of the problem. The people who have an interest in this issue are those who are the most powerless to do anything about it, and most likely will pass long before something is ever done about it.

That said, if I failed, then I'll just take it again. As much as I like to bitch about nearly everything law school related, even I can see how grossly unproductive it is to complain about the test. It is not gonna change, so if I didn't pass, then I have to figure out why and pursue a different course of action the second time around.

Especially agree with the bolded part.

bacillusanthracis

Postby bacillusanthracis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:32 pm

CAnow wrote:Everyone except California has their results now.

This, more than anything bugs the hell out of me. If I failed, fine. I'm mentally prepared for that. But 3.5 months is complete bullshit. Hopefully in 10 days we never have to worry about this ever again.

TheEffinNewGuy

Postby TheEffinNewGuy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:57 pm

Incognitos wrote:I still freak out day and night.

Ugh...

1. Com Prop- Good

I am totally in the same position as you. Except I felt ok with remedies, but I totally blanked on what to do with two pieces of property on the community prop question, I wrote something down but I’m definitely not proud of that one. I made some dumb mistakes by doing a lot of overthinking on the Civ Pro question as well. No idea how those errors will shake out. Barbri has me convinced/brainwashed that essays have to be absolutely perfect, I’m curious/terrified to see how they compare to actual bar graders. For sure hope that everyone here passes this thing!

bacillusanthracis

Postby bacillusanthracis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:21 pm

TheEffinNewGuy wrote:... but I totally blanked on what to do with two pieces of property on the community prop question, I wrote something down but I’m definitely not proud of that one. I made some dumb mistakes by doing a lot of overthinking on the Civ Pro question as well. No idea how those errors will shake out. Barbri has me convinced/brainwashed that essays have to be absolutely perfect, I’m curious/terrified to see how they compare to actual bar graders. For sure hope that everyone here passes this thing!

The fact of the matter is that there are very few people who are going to know everything on the bar exam. Like you, I think I screwed the pooch on one part of the community property question, but as long as everything else was good, it shakes out as an overall positive.

I went with the approach that no matter how hard I worked, I was going to see something and have a "WTF'?" moment. And I kinda did on that one super fucked up essay. Speaking of that (start of tangent): if there's a huge debate among what amounts to some of the smartest people/students in the state of California about what the call of the question is asking for, then it's a shit essay question and should be discarded.

I mean, who couldn't write a completely baffling essay question?

Anyway, as for Barbri, their model answers aren't the be-all end-all of model answers. I did use Barbri, but I also used baressays.com. Somewhat frequently, what I found was that I'd spot an issue, but Barbri wouldn't have it included in their model answer, but baressays did. Sometimes I'd write what could be called an alternative answer that wouldn't be in the Barbri model answer, but was in the baressays model.

What I've been told is that as long as you make a decent argument, even if it's wrong, you'll likely get some points for it. It's the complete blank or utterly wrong answer that nets you nothing.

Whatever the case, it's too late to sweat it now. Ideally, each of us understands how we could've done better, and if we didn't pass, we can improve on that.

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:46 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:Whatever the case, it's too late to sweat it now. Ideally, each of us understands how we could've done better, and if we didn't pass, we can improve on that.

Seconded.

Let's perhaps redirect our mental energies. What are people's coping/celebration plans? Are they the same either way (i.e. consuming alcohol), or do folks have alternatives depending on the outcome?

I wish I could take off work and receive the news on vacation somewhere nice and resort-like. I'll probably just leave work early and hide out at a bar somewhere.

bacillusanthracis

Postby bacillusanthracis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm

mcmand wrote:Let's perhaps redirect our mental energies. What are people's coping/celebration plans? Are they the same either way (i.e. consuming alcohol), or do folks have alternatives depending on the outcome?

I wish I could take off work and receive the news on vacation somewhere nice and resort-like. I'll probably just leave work early and hide out at a bar somewhere.

I'm only going to drink if I passed. Waking up the next day without a hangover and suddenly remembering I failed is going to be made exponentially worse with a hangover.

I moved to the central coast just a few days after taking the bar, so I'm already in a vacation-like place, which is nice.

But whatever helps one to cope, do that.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:44 pm

mcmand wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:Whatever the case, it's too late to sweat it now. Ideally, each of us understands how we could've done better, and if we didn't pass, we can improve on that.

Seconded.

Let's perhaps redirect our mental energies. What are people's coping/celebration plans? Are they the same either way (i.e. consuming alcohol), or do folks have alternatives depending on the outcome?

I plan on having a bottle of champagne in one hand and a vodka drink in the other. I'm in Mountain Time right now, so I'll be waiting for precious 7 p.m. Results: Good--> champagne. Bad--> vodka. The next day, I fly back to California for Thanksgiving, which will either be a treat or a consolation prize.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”