2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by a male human » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:11 pm

justanotheruser wrote:Going to sign up for the Feb exam soon. But curious, is there anything to the notion that Feb exams are more difficult than July exams? Or is this perception due to a greater proportion of Feb test-takers being more likely to be out of school + re-takers?
I believe it's the latter.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:23 pm

justanotheruser wrote:Going to sign up for the Feb exam soon. But curious, is there anything to the notion that Feb exams are more difficult than July exams? Or is this perception due to a greater proportion of Feb test-takers being more likely to be out of school + re-takers?
The MBE is more or less the same. However, the curve of the Feb, according to some test experts, is less favorable compared with July exam. Personally, I scored 159 in July, and only managed 149 in Feb. Go search Joeseperac posts, he discussed in detail how Feb curve is less desirable than July curve.

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:11 am

Nvm
Last edited by NYC2012 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 am

I haven't received mine yet. But my mail is being forwarded to my PO Box. I hope to get it tomorrow or Friday. If I don't get it by Monday I am calling the bar.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 am

Haven’t received in SF

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:00 am

Received mine yesterday in San Mateo.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 am

maxmartin wrote:
The MBE is more or less the same. However, the curve of the Feb, according to some test experts, is less favorable compared with July exam. Personally, I scored 159 in July, and only managed 149 in Feb. Go search Joeseperac posts, he discussed in detail how Feb curve is less desirable than July curve.
The MBE "curve" is driven in large part by the strength of the pool of test takers. Essentially, there is a set of control questions that remains the same from one test administration to another. A testing pool's performance on the control questions is compared to the performance of other pools (not sure of the exact process) to gauge the inherent difficulty of the subject test compared to other tests. The curve is then "calibrated" accordingly.

Bottom line is that stronger pool = better performance on the control questions = more generous curve and weaker pool = worse performance on the control questions = less generous curve. February's pool is typically weaker than July's pool for the reasons stated in the first post above.

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Has anyone in California not received their admission packets yet? Even as of today's mail.

Call2222222

New

Post by Call2222222 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:02 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I just wanted to congratulate all who passed the bar exam. To those who didn’t, please do not stop now. You have what it takes to pass and you will definitely get it on the second try.

The reason for my post is because I have an issue with my moral character application. I submitted my application over eight months ago and forgot to add incident which forced me to write an addendum. I wrote a letter apologizing and explaining situation Now the committee at bars examiners would like to meet with me privately to discuss the issue before my license given. In my Opinion the incident was minor (I’m not a secret murderer I promise). My question is has anyone dealt with this or know someone who has? I asked if it was possible to bring personal representation, but I was told that my counselor will not be able to answer for me or give me a advice during the meeting. I would say this is the biggest meeting of my life in front of 5 commity members who will decide my fate. I have done everything required other than be sworn in. If Anyone can point me in the right direction or know someone who has gone through a similar situation it will be greatly appreciated

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Call2222222 wrote:Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I just wanted to congratulate all who passed the bar exam. To those who didn’t, please do not stop now. You have what it takes to pass and you will definitely get it on the second try.

The reason for my post is because I have an issue with my moral character application. I submitted my application over eight months ago and forgot to add incident which forced me to write an addendum. I wrote a letter apologizing and explaining situation Now the committee at bars examiners would like to meet with me privately to discuss the issue before my license given. In my Opinion the incident was minor (I’m not a secret murderer I promise). My question is has anyone dealt with this or know someone who has? I asked if it was possible to bring personal representation, but I was told that my counselor will not be able to answer for me or give me a advice during the meeting. I would say this is the biggest meeting of my life in front of 5 commity members who will decide my fate. I have done everything required other than be sworn in. If Anyone can point me in the right direction or know someone who has gone through a similar situation it will be greatly appreciated

If I may ask...Is it a fiduciary responsibility issue? I believe murder is not the highest offense in terms of the C&F,

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 pm

I think the above question is best answered by a C&F attorney. Even if you can’t consult with your attorney during the meeting, a C&F attorney would provide much better advice than you’ll get here and will have a lot more background on the meeting, types of questions you’ll see, etc..

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:36 pm

lsatextreme wrote:Has anyone in California not received their admission packets yet? Even as of today's mail.
In LA and my lady has yet to receive hers.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:37 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:I think the above question is best answered by a C&F attorney. Even if you can’t consult with your attorney during the meeting, a C&F attorney would provide much better advice than you’ll get here and will have a lot more background on the meeting, types of questions you’ll see, etc..
Yes, consult with an attorney. It will be worth the peace of mind and money to make sure you get your license.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thecogito

New

Post by thecogito » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 am

rec'd my admission packet this morning (friday) but hadn't checked my mail for 2-3 days beforehand because of the holiday so can't so for sure when it came.

Call2222222

New

Post by Call2222222 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:47 am

Still haven’t received my admissions packet. Anyone else have this issue ? (Located in Los Angeles)

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:37 am

I haven't gotten the packet either. I am calling the bar if I don't get it on Monday.

Incognitos

New

Post by Incognitos » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:14 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:I haven't gotten the packet either. I am calling the bar if I don't get it on Monday.

Same. Anyone else still haven't received theirs?

If you call, let us know what they say, thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm

I called Wed morning bc my informed delivery didn't show it as arriving that day, and they said the next time they'd be able to reissue the letter is on Wed, 11/29. Not sure why it gets delayed like that but that's what I was told. Luckily, I found the letter in my mailbox when I checked it later that day, even though it didn't show on informed delivery (located in LA).

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:13 pm

I got my letter today indicating I passed. Yay!

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:31 pm

For those who have received their admission packets, when are the swearing in ceremonies (specifically in the Bay Area)? I just cleared character & fitness today, so I probably won't get mine for a while.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 pm

yost wrote:For those who have received their admission packets, when are the swearing in ceremonies (specifically in the Bay Area)? I just cleared character & fitness today, so I probably won't get mine for a while.
Off the top of my head, the one in Oakland is sometime next week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:09 pm

yost wrote:For those who have received their admission packets, when are the swearing in ceremonies (specifically in the Bay Area)? I just cleared character & fitness today, so I probably won't get mine for a while.
Oakland Convention Center East Hall Dec. 5, 2017 10:30 am. I think the info is also on the bar website.

Incognitos

New

Post by Incognitos » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:18 am

Still nothing... =|

Swearing ceremony is on Friday.

NotoriousRBG90

New

Post by NotoriousRBG90 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:25 pm

I contacted the Bar Admissions office, as my swearing in is also on Friday and I have yet to receive my packet (I live in LA). They said I could visit the office in DTLA between the hours of 9:30-4:30 to receive an oath card. The addresses of the SF and LA offices are on the website (http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Contact-Us). Hope this helps anyone that is stressed about not receiving their packet in time, and congrats on passing!

Call2222222

New

Post by Call2222222 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:57 pm

I think i haven’t received my admission packet because my moral character app is still pending?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”