TX 2018 (I like the idea of a class-setting but could use some advice)

RCSOB657

TX 2018 (I like the idea of a class-setting but could use some advice)

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:19 pm

So I'm putting this here now because paying for the bar prep programs is coming up shortly. I've tentatively decided to go with Themis as I can both get the Public Interest price deduction and the 100 off for being in PAD. No money has been paid yet. Themis is completely online however, and I kind of like the idea/schedule of attending classes in person that Kaplan and Barbri have. I certainly don't have the scratch to afford Bar-Bri.

Any thoughts, advice, or experiences to share?

I have family in one of the testing cities and most likely can bum a spot on their couch for the bar prep and bar test itself.

BVest

Re: TX 2018 (I like the idea of a class-setting but could use some advice)

Postby BVest » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:23 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:So I'm putting this here now because paying for the bar prep programs is coming up shortly. I've tentatively decided to go with Themis as I can both get the Public Interest price deduction and the 100 off for being in PAD. No money has been paid yet. Themis is completely online however, and I kind of like the idea/schedule of attending classes in person that Kaplan and Barbri have. I certainly don't have the scratch to afford Bar-Bri.

I have family in one of the testing cities and most likely can bum a spot on their couch for the bar prep and bar test itself.

Only one city will be live for barbri, probably Houston (if they even retain that model by 2018). The others will be streams of the lectures from the live city. Really, if you have any self control and can get up and going by 9, you might as well do the lectures online and not drive somewhere. I can't speak to the Kaplan model, but I assume it is similar (as in not live, or at least not live everywhere).

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:16 am

Kaplan will have live classes in at least 5 cities, San Antonio being one. Their website doesn't seem to be a stream, and I will be angry if I pay for a live class and it's streamed from elsewhere I'll be able to live with my brother during classes there. I'll be testing in SA too. Themis online is about the same price as Kaplan online. Getting up and driving may suck, but with his family there I think I might need that solitude. I'll continue to ponder, thanks for taking the time to respond.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 am

BVest wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:So I'm putting this here now because paying for the bar prep programs is coming up shortly. I've tentatively decided to go with Themis as I can both get the Public Interest price deduction and the 100 off for being in PAD. No money has been paid yet. Themis is completely online however, and I kind of like the idea/schedule of attending classes in person that Kaplan and Barbri have. I certainly don't have the scratch to afford Bar-Bri.

Only one city will be live for barbri, probably Houston (if they even retain that model by 2018). The others will be streams of the lectures from the live city. Really, if you have any self control and can get up and going by 9, you might as well do the lectures online and not drive somewhere. I can't speak to the Kaplan model, but I assume it is similar (as in not live, or at least not live everywhere).

grrr, thanks for pointing that out. It seems Kaplan does something like that.

Attend lectures in a physical location at a pre-scheduled time. Depending on your course and city, lectures will be delivered by either a combination of live professors or live professor via simulcast. If you miss a class or only want to review part of a lecture, find it in our Online Lecture Library, available 24/7.

rcharter1978

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:04 pm

If I had had to do it over, I would have used Barbri materials and self studied. I think the basic Barbri materials are good (CMR, big outline book). The lectures were okay, and some lecturers were standout (Freer on Civ Pro and another guy on Torts), but there were also a lot of low cards in the deck. So, I may have skipped some lectures, if I'd been able to. In my book, all the testing programs do a terrible job at essays/PTs. Thats jut the way it is, and I don't trust any of their grading systems.

So, in addition to the basic Barbri stuff, I would have gotten AdaptiBar and BarEssays, as well as the red PT book, and possibly the accompanying essay book. It sounds like you write a lot for work, so maybe you'd be cool, but it was supremely helpful for me to have a former bar grader reviewing my essays. Its pretty expensive though, so most good writers can get along without it.

Either way, I can't speak to Themis materials, but I think not signing up for the classroom experience is probably a better idea, because you can decide which lectures you want to skip, which ones you really need to do, and which ones you want to play a 1.5x speed. Some lecturers are just bad, and you're better off with an outline.

The biggest takeaway should be that you shouldn't be afraid to tailor the program to your needs. People will always say to just be a sheep and maybe that works for some people, but it didn't for me and I wish I had followed my instincts and changed course direction early on. If the program isn't working for you, then make changes to whatever you think will work and see if it does.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”