Can an offeree reject, then accept, an offer contained in an option contract?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Cavalier-336

New

Can an offeree reject, then accept, an offer contained in an option contract?

Postby Cavalier-336 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:20 am

Offeror and Offeree enter into an option contract whereby Offeree pays $1,000 to Offeror to keep offer open for a period of two weeks (the offer is a car for $50,000)

On day 5, Offeree telephones Offeror and rejects the offer.

After that rejection, does Offeree still contain the power of acceptance? It appears that Offeree would since Offeree paid $1,000 to keep the offer open for two weeks.

cnk1220

Silver

Re: Can an offeree reject, then accept, an offer contained in an option contract?

Postby cnk1220 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 am

I think yes b/c he paid consideration $$$ to keep it open so it's an option K so even if he says I don't want it he still has to the end of the offer period to accept.

Although I don't understand the reasoning/why or why these people can decline and then be like no jk I want it but at this point idc to know why either I just want to pick the right answer. Also don't know why the people in MBE land are still relying on snail mail to accept a K like this is 1976 and nobody has email but that's a different story...

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Re: Can an offeree reject, then accept, an offer contained in an option contract?

Postby jumbocolumbo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:38 am

Yes, he retains the power of acceptance

Cavalier-336

New

Postby Cavalier-336 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Thank you everyone.

I agree to accept that as the law, but you must admit it is logically inconsistent with contract principles.

The option contract is viewed as one party promising to hold open his offer for a fixed period of time. This SHOULD NOT mean that that the other party receives super powers to where he cannot reject and thus terminate his power of acceptance.

http://scholarship.law.edu/cgi/viewcont ... =lawreview

As the above critic puts it, an option contract is "irrevocable, NOT irrejectable."

TenaciousJ

New

Postby TenaciousJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Don't get tripped up by a question that combines the mailbox rule and an option contract. Mailbox rule does not apply to option contracts, so acceptance must be received by the offeror before the option expires or he loses power of acceptance regardless of when it was mailed. I've seen that trick a couple of times.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Has anyone seen a similar situation or issue come up in real life?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheJuryMustDie

New

Postby TheJuryMustDie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:53 am

Cavalier-336 wrote:Offeror and Offeree enter into an option contract whereby Offeree pays $1,000 to Offeror to keep offer open for a period of two weeks (the offer is a car for $50,000)

On day 5, Offeree telephones Offeror and rejects the offer.

After that rejection, does Offeree still contain the power of acceptance? It appears that Offeree would since Offeree paid $1,000 to keep the offer open for two weeks.

The Offereee retains the ability to accept within the option period to the extent that that the offeror hasn't acted/relied on the offeree's rejection.If the offeree has affirmatively rejected the offer and the offeror relies on such rejection to his detriment, rejection will be deemed effective regardless of the option nature of the contract. (Think promissory estoppel).

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 am

Cavalier-336 wrote:
I agree to accept that as the law

Good idea.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�