C&F Employment History Question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RaceJudicata

Gold

C&F Employment History Question

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:47 pm

So I contacted my former employer (large, international company). They use a third party for employment verification. So I went to third party site to determine my start and end dates to properly report. Problem is: The third party (and presumably the company) have it dead wrong. They say my "Original Date of hire" is 2013, however, my original date of hire is 2008. Ironically, they have my pay records dating back to 2008 -- so its unclear how they could say I started in 2013, yet was getting paid starting in 2008.

I of course will report the "real" start date of 2008, however, when they go to verify, they will be given the 2013 date. Should I provide the pay records going back to 2008? Does anyone have any advice about how to approach this?

FWIW - i asked the company what to do, and they told me to contact the third party; third party tells me to contact the employer... the ol' run around.

thegrayman

Silver

Re: C&F Employment History Question

Post by thegrayman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Since you've already spotted the issue, it might be worth including a short addendum with your application explaining what is going on. That should save the trouble of them spotting it and delaying you while they get it sorted out.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:39 pm

I bet this kind of thing happens all the time. You just happen to know about it because you were paranoid enough to investigate what the third-party service had on file.

I would do nothing. In the extremely unlikely event that your state's C&F board cares enough to follow up on this, you'll have an explanation.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:I bet this kind of thing happens all the time. You just happen to know about it because you were paranoid enough to investigate what the third-party service had on file.

I would do nothing. In the extremely unlikely event that your state's C&F board cares enough to follow up on this, you'll have an explanation.

Bolded is 100% true. I'll just report correct info, and sort it out if there is any issue (i know, doubtful).

Thank you!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Hijacking. How many attempts/time should i wait before sending an app without one affidavit?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Sort of thing happened to me.

I worked for a company for about 3 days (don't ask, lol) back in 2009. Went back to them to let them know that the bar would be calling them to verify employment. The thing was that the company apparently had no record of me having ever worked for them....even though they paid me.

I didn't sweat it. I simply included the discrepancy in my application and if the bar cared enough to investigate further, they would. They didn't and that was that.

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Tony48 wrote:Sort of thing happened to me.

I worked for a company for about 3 days (don't ask, lol) back in 2009. Went back to them to let them know that the bar would be calling them to verify employment. The thing was that the company apparently had no record of me having ever worked for them....even though they paid me.

I didn't sweat it. I simply included the discrepancy in my application and if the bar cared enough to investigate further, they would. They didn't and that was that.
I agree that you should just report your history as is and let them question you later. In my application I was aware of date discrepancies from clerkships and defunct previous employers (I had to detail 39 years of history). I don't know what was verified; however, I never got any follow-up requests from C&F. My application was approved and valid until 2020. Now, need to pass CA bar--the final step.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”