Home Stretch: How are you getting on?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
YalteseFalcon

New

Home Stretch: How are you getting on?

Postby YalteseFalcon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:58 am

I don't know what "burnout" is, but the Barbri lecturers mention it often enough. I'm exhausted. I am ornery, I snap at well-intentioned friends and family members (they don't understand; it's a timed exercise :P ). No time for the gym, and I think I've developed a bit of a gut. Whatever burnout is, I'm getting close. I think it's bananas that some of you are able to spend 8, 10, 12 hours+ per day, seven days per week. Good for you all. That's hard work, and whatever the outcome on your exam, be proud of that kind if diligence.

A lot of the material is coming together in some surprising ways. I'm getting more MPQ answers correct, even if by a matter of 2 or 3 more per set, compared to just a few weeks ago. I also get more outraged when I get incorrect answers on MPQ sets, and become a bit combative on the more arguable points where I know the rule, but reach "not the best" conclusion. This is useless for MBE, but I think it might give me some flexibility to score points on the essays--where I'm beginning to gain more confidence as to issue spotting. Even where I don't recall the exact PA rule, I get reasonably close.

My Barbri simulated MBE was 122 raw. I understand this to be right around the target. The graded essay feedback was generally good, and frankly I think a little too generous. Sometimes, I was returned a higher score than it seemed I had made out based on a strict application of the point allocation. Anyone else experience this with graded essays?

On a lighter note, what have you decided to do post-exam to treat yourself? Any good ideas? Once the exams are submitted, there's not a thing we can do but wait. As Captain Sisko says in one episode of Star Trek: DS9, "Either the soufflé will rise, or it won't. There's not a damn thing you can do about it."
I've got a quick trip to visit friends in Russia, before I begin at a small firm in PA. Not exactly St. Martaan, but after months of this misery, it can't be worse. How will you relax?

puremorning

Silver

Re: Home Stretch: How are you getting on?

Postby puremorning » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:54 am

My immediate post exam treat will be to return to my weekly bar trivia that I have been missing for awhile now. It is conveniently held on Wednesday nights, so I might go straight from the exam to the bar. I think I deserve it. I work full time so the weekend after I'll probably just take a trip nearby with my fiance and our pugs, we have yet to plan it but I have something a bit bigger on my mind right now!

LockBox

Bronze

Postby LockBox » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Burn-out is definitely real. My suggestion is to break the studying up more. Whereas in weeks 1-4 you could go 3-4 hours without a break, try going 1-2 hours (or even stop for 5 every 25 minutes) etc. I think the point is you need to make sure you're fresh when you're at the table - 10 hours a day without intensity and focus is just wasting your time.

Secondly, this is the period for maintaining - not building new information. I mean, still put in the work but it's more about refining now than anything else.

Lastly, it's very good to have a trip or at least something planned for after the bar. It will make the dreadful experience that much better when you have something to look forward to afterwards. Hang in there.

Jmazz88

New

Postby Jmazz88 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Definitely feeling some burn out. I did not do well on the Barbri midterm (101) and it definitely stressed me out. I went through each of the questions I got wrong, and wrote up a flashcard of the rule that I missed up on. Seemed that I almost always got the 2nd most correct answer :cry:

Not really sure how to approach these last 2 weeks. I've been reviewing the index cards and doing many different practice problems (all of the Barbri, and some extra). However, I have definitely neglected the essays a bit.

Ugh. Part of me can't wait for this to be over, and the other part of me is deathly afraid of "game day".

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?