Barbri's Final Review NY

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
wlp0001

New

Barbri's Final Review NY

Postby wlp0001 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:41 pm

So here we are, final review time. Barbri's final review (next 17 days) does not seem to have a lot of practice mbes left.

umichman

Bronze

Re: Barbri's Final Review NY

Postby umichman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Does anyoen have thoughts regarding Kaplan's final 3 day MBE review course?

Jmazz88

New

Postby Jmazz88 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:49 pm

wlp0001 wrote:So here we are, final review time. Barbri's final review (next 17 days) does not seem to have a lot of practice mbes left.

I think I might start doing some Emanuel's MBE questions. My school library has a copy of the 5th edition (2nd newest).

jir92

Bronze

Postby jir92 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:27 pm

umichman wrote:Does anyoen have thoughts regarding Kaplan's final 3 day MBE review course?

I saw a big improvement (by 12 points so I guess it's significant) for MBE into the 120s. I really didn't love the essay review. I wish they'd give a points sheet.

YalteseFalcon

New

Postby YalteseFalcon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:54 pm

jir92 wrote:
umichman wrote:Does anyoen have thoughts regarding Kaplan's final 3 day MBE review course?

I saw a big improvement (by 12 points so I guess it's significant) for MBE into the 120s. I really didn't love the essay review. I wish they'd give a points sheet.

Interesting. You saw a 12 point improvement from that 3 day course alone, or did I misunderstand? Barbri has one as well that I was considering (which I suppose you take on top of the existing Barbri assignments), but at this point it just feels like I'm throwing more money at the problem out of desperation, and that I already have adequate tools at my disposal.

wlp0001

New

Postby wlp0001 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 pm

I suggest doing questions from the emanuels book. I have done over 400 extra mbes in that book. Emanuels is great because all questions (except for civ pro) are actual MBE questions from old exams. My MBE score as of right now is 141, I just want to do a little better on game day.

jir92

Bronze

Postby jir92 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:19 pm

YalteseFalcon wrote:
jir92 wrote:

Interesting. You saw a 12 point improvement from that 3 day course alone, or did I misunderstand? Barbri has one as well that I was considering (which I suppose you take on top of the existing Barbri assignments), but at this point it just feels like I'm throwing more money at the problem out of desperation, and that I already have adequate tools at my disposal.

Sorry, a 12 point improvement from the Midterm to the Final and the 3 day final review helped me gain I think 5 or so points right off the bat based on "dumb" mistakes I made where I hopefully will not make again.

Jmazz88

New

Postby Jmazz88 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:03 pm

wlp0001 wrote:I suggest doing questions from the emanuels book. I have done over 400 extra mbes in that book. Emanuels is great because all questions (except for civ pro) are actual MBE questions from old exams. My MBE score as of right now is 141, I just want to do a little better on game day.

Which version are you using? I have access to the 5th edition (2nd newest) and do not want to be studying "out of date" things. Yes, I know the law hasn't changed much since the adoption of that book, but I do not want to be studying types of questions that are no longer going to be on the exam.

Or, this could just be me being paranoid and burnt out from studying.

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Jmazz88 wrote:
wlp0001 wrote:I suggest doing questions from the emanuels book. I have done over 400 extra mbes in that book. Emanuels is great because all questions (except for civ pro) are actual MBE questions from old exams. My MBE score as of right now is 141, I just want to do a little better on game day.

Which version are you using? I have access to the 5th edition (2nd newest) and do not want to be studying "out of date" things. Yes, I know the law hasn't changed much since the adoption of that book, but I do not want to be studying types of questions that are no longer going to be on the exam.

Or, this could just be me being paranoid and burnt out from studying.

This is just my 2 cents: the retired MBE questions (ie ones that are licensed/released are way easier- hence they were released as study tools probably to build a good foundation of the law, but even the NCBE warns against using them because they're not correlative of difficulty). Emanuel's book is licensed MBEs, I know the last released OPE is 2013, but a lot of those Qs in that book are also from the 1990s.

wlp0001

New

Postby wlp0001 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Anyone else struggling with theses Barbri essays. My essays are not even close to the barbri sample answers. I pick up points here and there but miss issues sometimes.

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:16 pm

wlp0001 wrote:Anyone else struggling with theses Barbri essays. My essays are not even close to the barbri sample answers. I pick up points here and there but miss issues sometimes.

Barbri's model answer is not indicative of what anyone would be able to write in 30 mins, they're just giving you a very detailed answer.

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:03 am

wlp0001 wrote:Anyone else struggling with theses Barbri essays. My essays are not even close to the barbri sample answers. I pick up points here and there but miss issues sometimes.

Same here. My answers are no where near the model answers but I'm just trying to at least spot all the issues correctly.

wlp0001

New

Postby wlp0001 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:19 pm

I also don't understand why people say it's impossible to complete all of barbri. I have done everything (including personal homework). Every day has been 9-5 (plus/minus an hour depending on Barbri's schedule). Even now with the final review, I finish by 5 pm. Sometimes I feel that I have too much time and do extra stuff at night. What are other people's experiences?

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:23 pm

wlp0001 wrote:I also don't understand why people say it's impossible to complete all of barbri. I have done everything (including personal homework). Every day has been 9-5 (plus/minus an hour depending on Barbri's schedule). Even now with the final review, I finish by 5 pm. Sometimes I feel that I have too much time and do extra stuff at night. What are other people's experiences?

I think some people work full-time so they can't dedicate a full 7-8 hours a day.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Postby deepseapartners » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:59 pm

wlp0001 wrote:I also don't understand why people say it's impossible to complete all of barbri. I have done everything (including personal homework). Every day has been 9-5 (plus/minus an hour depending on Barbri's schedule). Even now with the final review, I finish by 5 pm. Sometimes I feel that I have too much time and do extra stuff at night. What are other people's experiences?

I mean if you can dedicate an actual uninterrupted 7-8 hours a day for 60 days then ya it's probably not impossible to complete Barbri. But a lot of people work (especially if they are taking the February exam) or have family obligations that make all that uninterrupted study difficult. And that only accounts for outside forces, let alone the many law grads who developed bad procrastination habits, study better/differently than following Barbri assignment-for-assignment, or something else entirely.

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm with you. I've completed all 78% of everything assigned to date.

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Is anyone else concerned about the low pass rate in NY for Feb. exams? In the past years it's been around 50%... :shock:

wlp0001

New

Postby wlp0001 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 pm

cnk1220 wrote:Is anyone else concerned about the low pass rate in NY for Feb. exams? In the past years it's been around 50%... :shock:

Don't worry about it. First, contrary to popular belief, repeaters have a less chance of passing the bar than first-time takers. Since most students take the bar in July first, there are a lot of repeaters in February. If you look at the statistics, Feb 2016, over 67 percent of first-time takers passed. Also in FEB 2016, Pro Bono Scholars, who are first-time takers as well, had an 87 percent pass rate. So it's not around 50 percent. Also, since the NY bar was harder than the UBE and since this is the first February exam that will be UBE in NY, I think that the pass rate will be higher. The FEB bar is not harder than the July bar. The stats are affected by the pool of applicants sitting in FEB. I don't mean any disrespect to 2nd time-takers, I could be one of them for all we know, just explaining the stats.

Results for the past 4 bar exams:

(UBE) July 2016 - https://www.nybarexam.org/Press/Press_R ... ly2016.pdf
FEB 2016 - https://www.nybarexam.org/Press/PressRe ... 16exam.pdf
JULY 2015 - https://www.nybarexam.org/Press/Press%2 ... esults.pdf
FEB 2015 - https://www.nybarexam.org/Press/SBLEPre ... arExam.pdf

wlp0001

New

Postby wlp0001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 am

What does "MEET: Outline and Self-Grade Additional Torts Essays" mean? One essay, two?

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:37 am

wlp0001 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:Is anyone else concerned about the low pass rate in NY for Feb. exams? In the past years it's been around 50%... :shock:

Don't worry about it. First, contrary to popular belief, repeaters have a less chance of passing the bar than first-time takers. Since most students take the bar in July first, there are a lot of repeaters in February. If you look at the statistics, Feb 2016, over 67 percent of first-time takers passed. Also in FEB 2016, Pro Bono Scholars, who are first-time takers as well, had an 87 percent pass rate. So it's not around 50 percent. Also, since the NY bar was harder than the UBE and since this is the first February exam that will be UBE in NY, I think that the pass rate will be higher. The FEB bar is not harder than the July bar. The stats are affected by the pool of applicants sitting in FEB. I don't mean any disrespect to 2nd time-takers, I could be one of them for all we know, just explaining the stats.

Results for the past 4 bar exams:

(UBE) July 2016 - https://www.nybarexam.org/Press/Press_R ... ly2016.pdf
FEB 2016 - https://www.nybarexam.org/Press/PressRe ... 16exam.pdf
JULY 2015 - https://www.nybarexam.org/Press/Press%2 ... esults.pdf
FEB 2015 - https://www.nybarexam.org/Press/SBLEPre ... arExam.pdf

why are the release date for Feb exam so early? I thought the results come around sometime in mind May?
Feb results come out late April??

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:59 pm

wlp0001 wrote:What does "MEET: Outline and Self-Grade Additional Torts Essays" mean? One essay, two?

There are additional essays in the back of the book with all the essays. However, there are none listed for Torts. I would just go over all the ones they have in the torts section. At least that is what I am going to do.

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:
wlp0001 wrote:What does "MEET: Outline and Self-Grade Additional Torts Essays" mean? One essay, two?

There are additional essays in the back of the book with all the essays. However, there are none listed for Torts. I would just go over all the ones they have in the torts section. At least that is what I am going to do.

Same. Since the MBE subjects were recently tested as essays starting in like 2007 there's only a handful for each. Also- apparently in July '16 they tested products liability. I know they can obviously test it again, but probably wise to spend more time on negligence or intentional torts.

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:08 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

Same. Since the MBE subjects were recently tested as essays starting in like 2007 there's only a handful for each. Also- apparently in July '16 they tested products liability. I know they can obviously test it again, but probably wise to spend more time on negligence or intentional torts.

Good call didn't know that. I'll definitely spend some more time getting the proper wordage down for a negligence essay now. Thanks!

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Also, anyone using Barbri, did you download their app? I didn't because watched the lectures etc on my laptop but am wondering if it is worth downloading the app for the sole purpose of listening to a lecture on my 3 hour drive down

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:04 pm

TXforeignlawyer wrote:Also, anyone using Barbri, did you download their app? I didn't because watched the lectures etc on my laptop but am wondering if it is worth downloading the app for the sole purpose of listening to a lecture on my 3 hour drive down

Didn't even know they had an app, thanks for this!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�