Any tips for MBE Property questions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Any tips for MBE Property questions

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:13 pm

It seems like that's my biggesst problem for the MBE so far and it most likely has to do with long fact patterns because Contracts is a fairly easy subject and I've struggled with that too. I'm trying to focus on the issue spotting in the question stems to avoid going through all those facts, but not much time with the bar approaching here and I barely practiced the MPT.. fml. Thanks

texas1100

New

Re: Any tips for MBE Property questions

Post by texas1100 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:30 pm

You obv can't punt property/Ks because they're so much of the test, so you just have to work on following the ball. Those subjects have a lot of transactions and things changing hands. Map out those transactions to keep track of what's going on (and I mean do this very very quickly), like: A - B -> B - C -> C - A, etc... so you can follow who did what in what sequence, and so forth.

Hope that somewhat helps. Nailing down those subjects is hard, just memorize the hell out of the rules and keep at it (you should be able to know the nuances of recording statutes and the issues to look for that are often tested, for example)

- keep a running list of things you keep missing and memorize that list every week

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:33 pm

For property and contracts I read the answer prompt first so I can focus my reading a little more closely and not get as bored.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:35 pm

The advice here won't vary too much from other subjects though of course Property is exceptionally difficult. But as you are working through practice questions be sure to note the rule of law that the question was testing if you answer it incorrectly. Even though the Property fact patters are, on average, longer than in other subject there is still generally just one legal principle tested in each fact pattern. The key is to note it and then next time it is being tested apply it correctly to draw the correct conclusion (the correct answer choice on the MBE).

This does apply to all subjects but it's easy to get "lost in the weeds" in Property fact patterns so issue spotting and noting exactly what is being tested becomes even more important.

YalteseFalcon

New

Post by YalteseFalcon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:38 am

texas1100 wrote:Map out those transactions to keep track of what's going on (and I mean do this very very quickly), like: A - B -> B - C -> C - A, etc... so you can follow who did what in what sequence, and so forth.
Good advice. Beware of the fact that (at least in my experience) it is easy to miss material information when drafting those devise diagrams, foreclosure priority diagrams, etc. An accurate sketch sometimes requires me to reread to make sure I've got all of the information down perfectly. This WILL take time.

I might just be slow, but I often average above 1:50 for property questions. There's simply no way for me to internalize what is happening the facts unless I slow down, or read more than once. On my Barbri "time per question by subject," I am slowest in Property. Still, by average across all subjects is below 1:50.

So, I could accelerate my reading of the Prop. questions, maybe at the expensive of points and correct answers. Or, I could seek to make up the deficit by relying on my generally quicker management of other areas, like Civ Pro and Con Law. Maybe this is a strategy you can consider if you reach a point where you are certain those property questions aren't getting any faster.

Some great advice in this thread. I just wanted to add to the fellow who pointed out that these questions are testing a discrete rule of law. If you start reading the question from the beginning and note language that seems to be setting up a question about adverse possession, your brain is primed and starts accessing AP rules of law and begins to apply to the facts. So far, so good. Then you get to the call. BOOM. Question about general warranty deeds on a conveyance of property with encumbrances unknown to seller. Your brain can shift gears, but you're losing a few seconds in the process, and struggle to tease out the rules. So really, don't underestimate the importance of priming your brain by reading the call first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”