When should I start studying for MPRE?

When should I start studying for MPRE?

Postby Kayla2012 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm taking MPRE in March for the first time. I didn't do well on PR, B-, which I took a year ago. When should I start studying for MPRE?

Re: When should I start studying for MPRE?

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Like the week before at most.

Postby cnk1220 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:45 pm

I began studying 2 weeks in advance doing a practice test a day, with some days off and then spending time reviewing explanatory answers which is super important! (I am also the odd ball on this as some people study for like 2 hours and I knew some friends who just winged it, but my state required an 85 as opposed to some others that require a 75 and I really did not want to take it again).

My suggestion: do as many practice exams as you can. I remember seeing 2 of the same exact questions just w/ different facts as I did in practice. In the end I did like 7-8 practice exams total from barbri and kaplan books...I ended up with a score like 30+ points above what I needed, but I honestly doubt I would have felt somewhat confident going in without doing those practice tests, and I got an A in PR.

BECAUSE this is a multiple choice exam, two answers will seem good regardless of your knowledge and some times the right answer will hinge on one word, you will pick that up as you do the practice tests. Also, I suck at MC exams so I really needed the extra time practicing how to spot the right answer, so it depends on your strengths.

Good luck!

Postby maztastic247 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:04 pm

I took the MPRE twice. The first time I didn't study for it at all... I mean literally I did nothing to prepare... I did not do well.

The second time I took the test I did the free online barbri program. I started 2 days before the exam. I watched the lectures, and filled out the hand out, the day before the exam I read through the handout (while on an airplane). And that was it. I planned on doing some practice questions and tests but some things came up. Anyways I passed with more than enough points to pass in every jurisdiction.

The MPRE isn't something you need to seriously stress over, and dedicated your whole life to like oh say the bar exam... a tip I heard that people use (i didn't hear about it until after I took the exam so I can't attest to the validity) is when in doubt think
WWJD -1... basically what is the second most ethical answer and pick that one. Good luck!

Postby texas1100 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:35 pm

2-3 days, 2-4 hours each day

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:51 am

I studied for like a solid week and a half, though I meant to study for 2 weeks.

I took it after I found out I passed the bar, so there is no way I wanted to take it 2x, and I needed an 86 in California.

2 weeks is the most you should be studying, IMO. Any longer than that and I think you'll forget things because there just isn't that much to study. I would have felt uncomfortable studying for 2 days, but thats just me.

Also agree with people who say to do the practice tests, I used Barbri and I felt like the questions were almost identical to what was on the MPRE. I remember some of them being almost word for word.

With a week and a half of studying, I think I may not have fully gone over two sections (laziness!) and was done at least 45 minutes before time was called. I passed with a pretty healthy margin.

TL;DR -- All you need to know will be in the Barbri/Kaplan materials. Read the outline, listen to the lectures, do the practice exams and you will be perfectly fine. Your PR grade will have nothing to do with your MPRE score.

Postby nick417 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:30 am

Barbri (or the other bar prep courses) have MPRE courses (for free I think).

I know for Barbri you watch a 3 hour video and then they suggest answering the 180 practice questions. If you do that, you should be fine. The MPRE is not that difficult and you shouldn't stress over it. Minimal studying (6-8 hours) is more than enough to score above an 86.

Postby Ronan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:35 am

Studying 10-15 hours prior to the exam should be sufficient for most people. I was able to study that much in one week, but if your schedule is busier, start earlier. Good luck.

Postby pancakes3 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:38 am

"2 weeks" in my case meant 2 weekend afternoons. Not a full 2 weeks of studying. ymmv

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”