MBE Test Taking Strategy Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
optimistic_owl

New

MBE Test Taking Strategy

Post by optimistic_owl » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:03 am

I'm curious to hear how others approach MBE questions. I've found that I sometimes have to re-read a question two or three times (especially in property and with the long contracts questions). Perhaps this stems from having problems with reading comprehension and/or focus, but I'm looking to improve my MBE approach. I have AdaptiBar and am seeing slight improvements (started around 55% and am now around 60-65%), but I'd like to get up to the 70-75% range.

A few questions in particular...

Do you read the call of the question first?
Do you skim through the fact pattern and look for buzz words?
Do you glance at the answer choices first?
Or do you just start at the beginning and read through the entire fact pattern and then the question?

maztastic247

New

Re: MBE Test Taking Strategy

Post by maztastic247 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:22 pm

optimistic_owl wrote:I'm curious to hear how others approach MBE questions. I've found that I sometimes have to re-read a question two or three times (especially in property and with the long contracts questions). Perhaps this stems from having problems with reading comprehension and/or focus, but I'm looking to improve my MBE approach. I have AdaptiBar and am seeing slight improvements (started around 55% and am now around 60-65%), but I'd like to get up to the 70-75% range.

A few questions in particular...

Do you read the call of the question first?
Do you glance at the answer choices first?
Or do you just start at the beginning and read through the entire fact pattern and then the question?

Hey, the MBE is what mostly caused me to fail the bar the first time I really struggle with it. On my midterm with barbri last year I scored a 117, and on the one yesterday I scored a 141 and I've noticed some changes I've made that have helped. I see you are using adaptibar which I think is amazing! I started using that this time around and it is worth every penny. The best strategy really is to do as many questions before hand as possible, at least 50 a day read the answers.

Here is how I attack the MBE.

I always read the call of the question first. This will usually tell you what facts you need to look for and which are just extraneous.

IF the call of the question isn't helpful I will glance (NOT READ) the answers to see if any buzz words pop out. I.e. oh this is propably a parole evidence question because I see the word integrated.

Next I read the question and underline facts I think will be important (i realize this isn't possible on adaptibar so make sure you are practicing on paper too for timing purposes).

BEFORE I read the answers I answer the question in my head, and I may even jot down the elements of a rule, or put something as simple as IS for intermediate scrutiny so I know the answer I am looking for will contain those things.

Then I immediately look for the answer that best matches mine. If in my head the answer is yes, because... I look at the "yeses" first and see if there is one that matches mine, and pick the one closest to my answer. After I pick I will read the rest of the answers just in case on is glaringly obvious it is the correct one.

I noticed before I would have the right answers in my head but pick a different answer because I would read the answers and see one and go oh maybe that's an exception or an exception to the exception and pick that one. Don't do that even for the MBE your first guess is probably right.

Lastly, I always make sure the answer I'm picking is a correct statement of law. If it's not I won't pick it even if it sounds good, and this is also what I do when I really have no idea what the heck the question is even asking.

Don't worry too much about your mind wandering it happens, this is where the underlining key facts helps! Sorry this is so long.

optimistic_owl

New

Post by optimistic_owl » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks so much! I am going to try this method today.

I think reading the question first will help. And, yes, practice practice practice seems to be what everyone recommends. I just don't think I'll be able to finish all the apdatibar questions beforehand.

maztastic247

New

Post by maztastic247 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:54 pm

optimistic_owl wrote:Thanks so much! I am going to try this method today.

I think reading the question first will help. And, yes, practice practice practice seems to be what everyone recommends. I just don't think I'll be able to finish all the apdatibar questions beforehand.
No problem! You don't necessarily have to do all, just do as many as you can, and you don't have to do all of them at one time in fact I would recommend against doing all of your questions on adptibar a day at once. I do usually about 5 or 10 in one sitting that way I can really absorb the rules and explanatory answers. So whenever you have a break before going back to your studying do 5-10 questions it will add up fast!

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:37 pm

optimistic_owl wrote: Do you read the call of the question first?
Yes. On the MBE you'll often see questions that merge areas of law. You'll be led down a tort fact pattern and then boom there's a service of process issue in the last two sentences. I read the question and answer choices first every time. Saves a lot of time.

I typically don't, but I read and do the questions very quickly. I finished both sets of 100 questions with about 20-30 minutes left reading the questions in full. If you are typically pressed for time this isn't a bad idea if you first look at the call of the question/answer choices.

As well, property questions are pains in the ass. Person A conveys to B who devises in will to C but then subsequent purchases buys from B and then C sells to D who records an easement and sells to E.

It may be good on paper to do property questions, mark them up, do a timeline with dates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”