Best way to improve MBE score, stuck with a month to go Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Best way to improve MBE score, stuck with a month to go

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:19 am

Stuck at only 55% on AdaptiBar and only had 42% last July. I memorize all the BLL, have no idea how I'm missing so many in Civ Pro, Property, and Contracts but I'll assume they all seem to have long fact patterns in common and that's what it is? Any tips I'd appreciate, already ordered the Critical Pass FlashCards and studied them. Thank you!

seasidemama

New

Re: Best way to improve MBE score, stuck with a month to go

Post by seasidemama » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:26 pm

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:Stuck at only 55% on AdaptiBar and only had 42% last July. I memorize all the BLL, have no idea how I'm missing so many in Civ Pro, Property, and Contracts but I'll assume they all seem to have long fact patterns in common and that's what it is? Any tips I'd appreciate, already ordered the Critical Pass FlashCards and studied them. Thank you!
best thing to do is go over the questions you got wrong and UNDERSTAND what you missed.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Best way I increased my MBE score was as followed.

After every session of doing a block of questions, I would go over it, as nearly everyone recommends you to do. What I would do though for every question I got wrong, or for questions I got right that was a fluke or a calculated guess, would be to copy/paste the law from the explanation into a little spreadsheet with each sheet being a different subject. Then afterwards during your review time, I go over just the law in that spreadsheet. My logic was I knew the stuff I got right, but this stuff is tripping me up, so I'm just going to go over this material and hammer it in.

That occasionally got me to forgot stuff I assumed was basic, but anytime I saw a replica of a ? I got wrong before, I nailed it most of the time.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:57 pm

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:Stuck at only 55% on AdaptiBar and only had 42% last July. I memorize all the BLL, have no idea how I'm missing so many in Civ Pro, Property, and Contracts but I'll assume they all seem to have long fact patterns in common and that's what it is? Any tips I'd appreciate, already ordered the Critical Pass FlashCards and studied them. Thank you!
AdaptiBar lets you see your scores on individual subtopics. Maybe check if there are areas where you are particularly weak, and focus on improving those. You could review these subtopics in the outlines or pull the Critical Pass cards from these topics and focus on them (subtopics are on the bottom left corner on the front of the card).

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:20 pm

List of Supplements for the Bar Exam (aimed toward MBE):

1) Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE - available on Amazon. Fairly cheap book. Has good tips on approaching the MBE and contains lots of practice questions.

2) Adaptibar (http://www.adaptibar.com) - I didn't use this, but wish I had since it has received raving reviews. The only con to Adaptibar is the price.

3) Barmax MBE Questions (https://getbarmax.com/barmax-mbe-questions/ - supposedly "comparable" to Adaptibar). At only $249, it's a good price, but Adaptibar has tracking tools to individualize your MBE study and show your progress in a method that Barmax can't. But Barmax seems to be more economical than Adaptibar. You also need an iOS device to use it.

4) OPE from the MBE site to practice the most recent test questions: http://store.ncbex.org/all-online-practice-exams/. At $50 per OPE it isn't the cheapest option, but these are real, recent MBE questions and not the souped up Barbri ones. Barbri questions are not representative of the modern MBE. I hear Barmax is only $249 and has all these OPEs included.

5) Critical Pass (http://criticalpass.refr.cc/8GVXRT9 - referral link contains a discount code for $$$ off) - Great flashcards for the MBE! You can't apply the law to an MBE question, if you don't know the law. I used Critical Pass for my bar study along with the CMR from Barbri and their simulated questions (although the Barbri questions are very different than actual MBE questions). I also used Emanuel's S&T during my study period, but not as much as I should have since it's a great resource. Note: When I purchased Critical Pass flashcards, I got a free shipping code by liking Critical Pass on Facebook. However, I don't know if this code is still available.
Last edited by Neve on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Neve wrote:
4) OPE from the MBE site to practice the most recent test questions: http://store.ncbex.org/all-online-practice-exams/. At $50 per OPE it isn't the cheapest option, but these are real, recent MBE questions and not the souped up Barbri ones. Barbri questions are not representative of the modern MBE. I hear Barmax is only $249 and has all these OPEs included.
Just wanted to add that if you buy Adaptibar, you get access to all of the OPEs the NCBE has made available, including the answer explanations.

Adaptibar is worth the money. It was the difference maker in me passing the 2nd time. Don't waste money on the NCBE exams by themselves.

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Keep going at it. I think those are the top 3 hardest MBE subjects. I also think Adaptibar's civ pro questions are insanely hard. So many times the right answer was picked by <50% of students.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:44 am

seasidemama wrote:
best thing to do is go over the questions you got wrong and UNDERSTAND what you missed.
Bluem_11 wrote:Best way I increased my MBE score was as followed.

After every session of doing a block of questions, I would go over it, as nearly everyone recommends you to do. What I would do though for every question I got wrong, or for questions I got right that was a fluke or a calculated guess, would be to copy/paste the law from the explanation into a little spreadsheet with each sheet being a different subject. Then afterwards during your review time, I go over just the law in that spreadsheet. My logic was I knew the stuff I got right, but this stuff is tripping me up, so I'm just going to go over this material and hammer it in.

That occasionally got me to forgot stuff I assumed was basic, but anytime I saw a replica of a ? I got wrong before, I nailed it most of the time.
These are two excellent pieces of advice. There are probably the same set of nuances you are missing, or small rules/exceptions that you aren't getting. Writing it down and going over it will probably make a difference.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Honestly, I think the bigger issue here is the fact that you have "no idea" how you're missing so many. Is it a reading comprehension issue? Are you guessing at what the law is? It's hard to advise tips on improving when you aren't clear on why you're missing questions.

If RC - take your time, read carefully, map it out etc. If you believe you know the law, then i would say write out the law before seeing whether you got it right or wrong. In my opinion, MBE and essays go hand in hand usually. If you know the law, you should be able to write a concise rule statement prior to hit send on adaptibar.

As far as my routine, I would do 50 a day - the first 10 questions were solely on my lowest subject percentage wise. The next 10 were the 3 lowest subjects, and the last 30 were all 7 subjects. I would NOT copy/paste rules to study. Type the rules into a word doc. Change the wording to be your own as I believe this will help you internalize the rule.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:37 pm

As others have pointed out, you can't improve if you don't know what to improve on. Good luck!

eafrica17

New

Post by eafrica17 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 am

I used struggle but adopted the 10 step consideration:
1. Read carefully- active reading i.e focus statutes, quotations, dates, time, consider every fact
2. Read the call first
3. Do not look for a correct answer but instead eliminate answer choices. (The MBE is usually a 50/50 exam , in that you can narrow it down to 2 answers so anything below 50% is an odds guess- all are dichotomy questions)
4. Test each answer choice factually, legally and analytically
5. Stick to the basics i.e basic majority BLL
6. Be aware of Terms of Art
7. Do not become emotionally involved in the fact pattern (remain objective for the best or worst answer not the exact BLL you know)
8. If you get an off the wall question , do not panic - think general terms
9. Manage your time 1.8 mins - don't get stuck guess a 50/50 and mark it to come back to if you have time.
10. Status quo. Us e what you know , just drill each question the same way to avoid basic errors.

These are Hugh Reeds suggestions off his YouTube "How to add 10+ points etc."
It is hard to drill this way but you can improve your score , as you are reading with purpose (not skimming facts, or knee jerk assumptions - both error prone)
In crime, torts where there are specific elements make sure you match up the elements.
Good Luck!

texas1100

New

Post by texas1100 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:17 am

Do at least 50 a day and review them that day or that AM. and as others have kinda said, keep a running list of stuff you keep getting wrong. You'll find patterns and weaknesses really quick. I would categorize them my own way that was intuitive to me (like "designated area free speech standard of review") and then try to review/memorize that list multiples times a week

It's also a good list to hit up during your off time during the exam

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:31 am

I wasn't sure where to post this (new here) but all of these replies seem relevant to people who have taken the MBE so I'm just wondering can anyone who's taken the bar exam comment on adaptibar v. barbri questions?

Adaptibar seems clearer to me but I know the questions are relatively easier (also generally shorter which to me makes it so much clearer as to wtf is going on except for property).

I'm more worried about MBEs with long fact patterns where only 2 sentences end up being relevant (barbri) and unclear answers like C and D are half correct but also each is kinda vague and you're stuck thinking well that's half it and that's also kinda it too so ahh! (also sometimes barbri) vs. adaptibar where it's usually obvious what the answer is because the others are either SO wrong or it like cites a rule verbatium so you recognize it.

Barbri is making me second guess myself with their stupidly worded questions sometimes = missing easy questions I knew the law on so I'm already at the feeling of almost diminishing returns.

Thanks!
Last edited by cnk1220 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:30 pm

cnk1220 wrote: I'm more worried about MBEs with long stupid dwindling fact patterns where only 2 sentences end up being relevant (barbri) and unclear answers like C and D are half correct but also each is kinda vague and you're stuck thinking well that's half it and that's also kinda it too so wtf (also sometimes barbri) vs. adaptibar where it's usually obvious what the answer is because the others are either SO wrong or it like cites a rule verbatium so you recognize it.

Barbri is making me second guess myself with their stupidly worded questions sometimes = missing easy questions I knew the law on so I'm already at the feeling of almost diminishing returns.

Thanks!
I wish there were quick tricks to the MBE like "look for the short answer" or "key in on the last paragraph" but unfortunately not. The NCBE intentionally puts irrelevant facts and relevant facts into questions and do it without rhyme or reason.

You will see those long worded ?'s on the exam. The only solution is 1. read every fact carefully and 2. Brute force know the law. If you do both, you can eliminate answers that are not what the law is, and then make the correct determination from the remaining choices. If you're getting ?'s wrong, you are either 1. Fatigued 2. Not reading the ? carefully or 3. Don't know the law as well as you think you may and need to study the fine details more.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:02 pm

For me it was just doing mountains of questions. The more questions you answer, the better you will get at spotting themes and patterns.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote: I'm more worried about MBEs with long stupid dwindling fact patterns where only 2 sentences end up being relevant (barbri) and unclear answers like C and D are half correct but also each is kinda vague and you're stuck thinking well that's half it and that's also kinda it too so wtf (also sometimes barbri) vs. adaptibar where it's usually obvious what the answer is because the others are either SO wrong or it like cites a rule verbatium so you recognize it.

Thanks!
I wish there were quick tricks to the MBE like "look for the short answer" or "key in on the last paragraph" but unfortunately not. The NCBE intentionally puts irrelevant facts and relevant facts into questions and do it without rhyme or reason.

You will see those long worded ?'s on the exam. The only solution is 1. read every fact carefully and 2. Brute force know the law. If you do both, you can eliminate answers that are not what the law is, and then make the correct determination from the remaining choices. If you're getting ?'s wrong, you are either 1. Fatigued 2. Not reading the ? carefully or 3. Don't know the law as well as you think you may and need to study the fine details more.
Great advice, Bluem_11 (and eafrica17). I just to want to add that test takers should review every MBE practice question they take - both the right answers and the wrong ones. Review the explanation in detail! Know why you're getting it wrong. Identify mistakes you're making in analyzing the fact pattern. I know it's tedious to review the explanation to a set of MBE questions, but it's worth it once exam time rolls around.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:

Thanks!

Great advice, Bluem_11 (and eafrica17).

I just to want to add that test takers should review every MBE practice question they take - both the right answers and the wrong ones. Review the explanation in detail! Know why you're getting it wrong. Identify mistakes you're making in analyzing the fact pattern. I know it's tedious to review the explanations to a set of MBE questions, but it's worth it once exam time rolls around.

judysmith

New

Post by judysmith » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:01 am

I am using adaptibar as well and I second the advice already shared. I have a spreadsheet with rules of all the questions I have answered wrong, and even rules of the ones I had right that I feel I could use review on. I use and will use this sheet these last few weeks to pound the black letter law into my head and review. But I wanted to tell you, do you notice on your adaptibar dashboard that the overall national average for all users is at 60% or so? Not that that helps in comforting you on your personal average but you really aren't that far behind from all users overall average! I would use it as motivation to really grind through all the MBEs you can do to raise your score closer to 70%. You aren't alone we are all kind of struggling lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”