Mentally / Emotionally Drained and Need Advice

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
VSCPGH

New

Mentally / Emotionally Drained and Need Advice

Postby VSCPGH » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 pm

I just spend the last 10 minutes in a dark conference room sobbing on the phone with the PA Board of Law Examiners' office, so I've reached a breaking point, could use some outside advice.

I will be taking the PA Bar for the 3rd time in February. I took it July 2015 using Barbri (but didn't finish, overwhelmed myself, didn't prepare well) and failed (27 points), signed up February 2016 and withdrew for feeling the same sort of overwhelmed feeling I did in July, then took it this past July 2016 using Barbri almost to completion and failed by 4 points.

I work full time, not working is not an option, and I've spent the last several years of my life using the minimal vacation time I'm given on either law school exams (I went part time at night) or preparing for this bar exam. I'm exhausted, drained, and feel like I'm letting a stupid test define who I am professionally. Mind you, I have a great job, and might be on the brink of a new job that would be an incredible salary and life change... neither of which require my law license. Either way...

I decided to do Themis this time. I'm behind. Can I likely catch up this weekend? Yes. Did I skip through a lot of the lectures because I really just don't learn by a lecturer and realize now I spent way too many nights listening to lectures in Barbri and less time memorizing and taking prep questions? Yes. Do I feel this overwhelming feeling of guilt and like I"m setting myself up for failure again? Yes. I just don't know what to do. I know I'm beyond capable to be an attorney, whether I choose to practice one day. Hell, I have a better career than most lawyers I know. Do I want to go through life and say I never was able to pass this and get the official license? No. I've come this far, I've gotten 3 degrees, I know I can do this.

S.O.S.

puremorning

Silver

Re: Mentally / Emotionally Drained and Need Advice

Postby puremorning » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 pm

VSCPGH wrote:I just spend the last 10 minutes in a dark conference room sobbing on the phone with the PA Board of Law Examiners' office, so I've reached a breaking point, could use some outside advice.

I will be taking the PA Bar for the 3rd time in February. I took it July 2015 using Barbri (but didn't finish, overwhelmed myself, didn't prepare well) and failed (27 points), signed up February 2016 and withdrew for feeling the same sort of overwhelmed feeling I did in July, then took it this past July 2016 using Barbri almost to completion and failed by 4 points.

I work full time, not working is not an option, and I've spent the last several years of my life using the minimal vacation time I'm given on either law school exams (I went part time at night) or preparing for this bar exam. I'm exhausted, drained, and feel like I'm letting a stupid test define who I am professionally. Mind you, I have a great job, and might be on the brink of a new job that would be an incredible salary and life change... neither of which require my law license. Either way...

I decided to do Themis this time. I'm behind. Can I likely catch up this weekend? Yes. Did I skip through a lot of the lectures because I really just don't learn by a lecturer and realize now I spent way too many nights listening to lectures in Barbri and less time memorizing and taking prep questions? Yes. Do I feel this overwhelming feeling of guilt and like I"m setting myself up for failure again? Yes. I just don't know what to do. I know I'm beyond capable to be an attorney, whether I choose to practice one day. Hell, I have a better career than most lawyers I know. Do I want to go through life and say I never was able to pass this and get the official license? No. I've come this far, I've gotten 3 degrees, I know I can do this.

S.O.S.

I totally feel you. I took the OH bar a year and a half ago and failed and had the same attitude. I was totally overwhelmed and knew that I wouldn't need the bar for the career I wanted to pursue. I was mostly doing it because I'd just graduated and everyone else was sitting for the bar. I've since gotten the job I want and moved, but I'm still sitting for the NY bar this Feb. I'm working full time while studying, but since I'm familiar with the MPT and MBE I already know where some of my weaknesses are (MBE). No, I haven't gotten through 100% of all of the suggested assignments and there is not enough time in the day for me to ever do that or catch up. Recognizing this and the fact that I am taking this exam purely for myself and to have this licensure in my back pocket has gotten me through thus far. Yes, it would help if I spent every waking moment that I am not working to study for the exam, but I would also lose my mind. So every Sunday, I distance myself from the exam. This has helped a lot. If the exam is going to cause too much grief in your life at this point though, don't do it, it's not worth it. Best of luck.

VSCPGH

New

Postby VSCPGH » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:31 pm

puremorning wrote:
VSCPGH wrote:I just spend the last 10 minutes in a dark conference room sobbing on the phone with the PA Board of Law Examiners' office, so I've reached a breaking point, could use some outside advice.

S.O.S.

I totally feel you. I took the OH bar a year and a half ago and failed and had the same attitude. I was totally overwhelmed and knew that I wouldn't need the bar for the career I wanted to pursue. I was mostly doing it because I'd just graduated and everyone else was sitting for the bar. I've since gotten the job I want and moved, but I'm still sitting for the NY bar this Feb. I'm working full time while studying, but since I'm familiar with the MPT and MBE I already know where some of my weaknesses are (MBE). No, I haven't gotten through 100% of all of the suggested assignments and there is not enough time in the day for me to ever do that or catch up. Recognizing this and the fact that I am taking this exam purely for myself and to have this licensure in my back pocket has gotten me through thus far. Yes, it would help if I spent every waking moment that I am not working to study for the exam, but I would also lose my mind. So every Sunday, I distance myself from the exam. This has helped a lot. If the exam is going to cause too much grief in your life at this point though, don't do it, it's not worth it. Best of luck.

Thank you. I just had the meltdown today, with a little over 4 weeks to go. I can't tell if I want to practice, want to say I can practice, or don't want to let a test defeat me because I had other obstacles in front of me while taking it. It's so complicated. I've spent SO much money (PA is like $700 an exam which they REFUSE to refund if you withdraw, such a scam) that I honestly wonder if a new purse or vacation wasn't a better use of my time and funds.

We shall see.

LockBox

Bronze

Postby LockBox » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:01 pm

S.O.S.

First and foremost, great article here on taking this stupid test over and persevering: http://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900042469/10-Ways-to-Bounce-Back-After-Failing-the-Bar-and-Pass-on-Your-Next-Attempt/

Secondly, I think a lot of us who are repeaters went through (in one form or another) what you are going through. Here is my advice: (1) make it a goal to pass this thing. Doesn't matter which time. As the article I cited states, being an attorney is something you will have with you the rest of your life - people will use it to describe you at your funeral. Not passing it means having it hanging over you forever. Regardless of the results this time, vow to make it a goal to pass. (2) Once that is solidified, know that things are different on the other side and that you just have to go through this hazing process. (3) lastly, I think the best thing that I did was not think about the overall picture. Don't worry about the bar, per se. Set a goal for TODAY (e.g., doing x MBE's, writing y essays). SET DAILY GOALS AND HIT THEM. That's all you need to think about and do. Plan out what you want to have done from here till the bar, then each day set goals. At the end of the day, ask yourself if you hit them. Keep yourself accountable.

It's not easy, but most things that are important rarely are. Keep at it.

VSCPGH

New

Postby VSCPGH » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:35 pm

LockBox wrote:

S.O.S.

First and foremost, great article here on taking this stupid test over and persevering: http://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900042469/10-Ways-to-Bounce-Back-After-Failing-the-Bar-and-Pass-on-Your-Next-Attempt/

Secondly, I think a lot of us who are repeaters went through (in one form or another) what you are going through. Here is my advice: (1) make it a goal to pass this thing. Doesn't matter which time. As the article I cited states, being an attorney is something you will have with you the rest of your life - people will use it to describe you at your funeral. Not passing it means having it hanging over you forever. Regardless of the results this time, vow to make it a goal to pass. (2) Once that is solidified, know that things are different on the other side and that you just have to go through this hazing process. (3) lastly, I think the best thing that I did was not think about the overall picture. Don't worry about the bar, per se. Set a goal for TODAY (e.g., doing x MBE's, writing y essays). SET DAILY GOALS AND HIT THEM. That's all you need to think about and do. Plan out what you want to have done from here till the bar, then each day set goals. At the end of the day, ask yourself if you hit them. Keep yourself accountable.

Thank you. I think I panic and let self doubt creep in before I ever just allow myself to go after it and do what I did in law school. I'm capable, we all are, but it's just overwhelming when you feel like you've spent months sacrificing your real life to pass a stupid test. Appreciate the advice.

LockBox

Bronze

Postby LockBox » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm

VSCPGH wrote:
LockBox wrote:

S.O.S.

Thank you. I think I panic and let self doubt creep in before I ever just allow myself to go after it and do what I did in law school. I'm capable, we all are, but it's just overwhelming when you feel like you've spent months sacrificing your real life to pass a stupid test. Appreciate the advice.

Not a problem. What I would suggest is think what you, VSCPGH, as a 20-year attorney would say to someone who is taking the bar having gone through what you are currently going through. All of the attorneys at my firm, both those who failed and those who merely knew friends who failed, say that they know it's tough, everyone has to go through it, and you just need to survive it. Granted, it's not much help to you right now. I think the point is don't let it overwhelm you, though it will, don't let it break you, though it will, and don't let it discourage you, though it will.

Once you pass, you'll be anxious/stressed out going into a hearing/trial/mediation. It's all a battle, and I for one feel a whole hell of a lot more confident having had to go through failing the bar than my counterparts who passed on their first try. I value the time I spent within trying to get past it. Once you pass, you'll look back and value it too, for better or worse. So, embrace the suck, don't think about the end result, hit those daily goals.

Act as if.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:24 am

OP -- why don't you wait and take it in July? You'll have more time to study so you'll be less stressed. The exam is stressful under any condition, but I couldn't begin to imagine taking it under the conditions you describe and feeling the way you do. Yes its hanging over your head, but you don't have to wait on bar results to get a job, or even to get your next job.

The biggest thing that calmed me down was to have a plan B. This is me, and just me, but I would think "what is the very worst that can happen if I don't pass." And when I really, really thought it through, it calmed me down. If I failed, life was going to go on. I would sign up and take it the next cycle. I would change my study habits, I would plan better. Your life will not end if you don't pass. I looked up famous failures, and realized that their lives went on, even though they didn't pass.

Franklin Roosevelt failed the bar and became POTUS. Michelle Obama didn't pass the bar the first time, and she went on to be the First Lady. B. Cordozo didn't pass the bar exam, he went on to become a Supreme Court justice.

Failing the bar didn't stop them from becoming a great success, and it won't stop you either.

If I were in your position, and I couldn't get a refund, I would just see this next bar exam as a practice or I would scrap it. I would tell everyone in advance that I was planning to postpone until July. I think that might lessen your stress....if you pass, great. If you don't, have a plan.

seasidemama

New

Postby seasidemama » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:23 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:OP -- why don't you wait and take it in July? You'll have more time to study so you'll be less stressed. The exam is stressful under any condition, but I couldn't begin to imagine taking it under the conditions you describe and feeling the way you do. Yes its hanging over your head, but you don't have to wait on bar results to get a job, or even to get your next job.

The biggest thing that calmed me down was to have a plan B. This is me, and just me, but I would think "what is the very worst that can happen if I don't pass." And when I really, really thought it through, it calmed me down. If I failed, life was going to go on. I would sign up and take it the next cycle. I would change my study habits, I would plan better. Your life will not end if you don't pass. I looked up famous failures, and realized that their lives went on, even though they didn't pass.

Franklin Roosevelt failed the bar and became POTUS. Michelle Obama didn't pass the bar the first time, and she went on to be the First Lady. B. Cordozo didn't pass the bar exam, he went on to become a Supreme Court justice.

Failing the bar didn't stop them from becoming a great success, and it won't stop you either.

If I were in your position, and I couldn't get a refund, I would just see this next bar exam as a practice or I would scrap it. I would tell everyone in advance that I was planning to postpone until July. I think that might lessen your stress....if you pass, great. If you don't, have a plan.

very good advice!

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:26 pm

seasidemama wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:OP -- why don't you wait and take it in July? You'll have more time to study so you'll be less stressed. The exam is stressful under any condition, but I couldn't begin to imagine taking it under the conditions you describe and feeling the way you do. Yes its hanging over your head, but you don't have to wait on bar results to get a job, or even to get your next job.

very good advice!

:)

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Postby gladiator0flaw11 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 pm

S.O.S.

I'm on my third attempt in NYC and lost my ex gf of 4 years the last time I sat in July for not having a job lined up post-bar and putting a hold on our plans to move out and get engaged so I feel your pain as far as being burnt out goes, but remember tough times don't last, tough people do. Work hard, stay classy, pay it forward, we're going to be fine.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Postby waxecstatic » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Do you know how many people who are lawyers don't practice law? Probably a record number. If you don't count doc review or solo practice, it's probably less than 50% of bar admitted people practicing law in 2017. It isn't worth your mental health. I wish you the best of luck.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Like others have said, focus on your mental well being. Although you may not realize it, you are in a great position. You have a job, ,and possibly an even better one coming your way and you stated that you are taking the test for you, in the event you want to practice law in the traditional sense down the road. So, if you don't pass in February, the worst thing is that you have to take it again. But, you don't have the pressure (as a lot of people who failed) of the fact that if you fail this time around, you lose your job.

I don't have much to add, other than my realization that studying for the bar is really great for one thing... introducing yourself to the stressors of traditional law practice, and providing you with a glimpse of how stressful traditional practice can be ( and detrimental to your mental health).

As for some exam prep help, all I can say is that I would say take tomorrow off and do something enjoyable ( or if you cant do so for at least a little while). Then start back up on Monday. Don't worry about doing things that you don't think will help you, focus on those that you think will ( practice MBE's and Essays-and memorization).

Remember, the bar exam is a test. Like most other tests, it can be taken over again or at a later date. All the license does is allow you to practice law in the traditional sense. That's it. Being a lawyer is a type of a job. Passing the bar and being a lawyer should not define your sense of self.

VSCPGH

New

Postby VSCPGH » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:37 pm

You all are wonderful. It's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture when you have spent the better part of your 20's either in law school or bar exam prepping. I am doing great in all other aspects of my life, so I can't let this get the best of me. I will buckle down for this next month, do the best I can, and take a breather if it doesn't work out for me.

Thank you SO much for everyone responding... it means more than you know :)

Acronin689

New

Postby Acronin689 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:41 am

Stick with it! You're so close. I know this is lame cliché advice but we all hit that wall while studying.

cestlavie1

New

Postby cestlavie1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:05 pm

I totally understand what you mean. I oppose this exam with a passion but alas. You have to come to the realization that you know the material because you graduated law school, and THIS IS A REVIEW. It's very hard for some students to realize this, or so it seems. One thing I have found helpful is to remember your grades in law school, especially the classes for which you got an A. Remember how you took the final exam, knew the material, got an A in the class. Especially for these classes, all you need is a review, and realizing this is a confidence booster in my experience.

VSCPGH

New

Postby VSCPGH » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:03 am

Update: Withdrew from retaking it. I wasn't getting far enough along the Themis program to feel comfortable... Got the aforementioned job (which is exciting) and have board meetings at my current job this week... it's too much, I took the pressure off. Asked themis to gear me up for next Feb... 1 year to set myself up for success.

Good luck to all taking the exam in a couple weeks!

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:11 am

VSCPGH wrote:Update: Withdrew from retaking it. I wasn't getting far enough along the Themis program to feel comfortable... Got the aforementioned job (which is exciting) and have board meetings at my current job this week... it's too much, I took the pressure off. Asked themis to gear me up for next Feb... 1 year to set myself up for success.

Good luck to all taking the exam in a couple weeks!

Congratulations! It sounds like you made a really good decision. The bar exam will be there next year! :)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 am

You're defeating yourself psychologically before the exam. Relax. Focus on the shortest outline provided by your bar review company. That's it. No more than that.

Consider taking the bar in a UBE (Uniform Bar Exam) jurisdiction because your score is valid in about 25 states--although not Pennsylvania, but your current job does not, apparently, require bar membership. The passing score varies dramatically among the 25 UBE jurisdictions, so you should be able to get at least the lowest passing score which would qualify for at least 5 or 6 jurisdictions.

VSCPGH

New

Postby VSCPGH » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:44 am

CanadianWolf wrote:You're defeating yourself psychologically before the exam. Relax. Focus on the shortest outline provided by your bar review company. That's it. No more than that.

Consider taking the bar in a UBE (Uniform Bar Exam) jurisdiction because your score is valid in about 25 states--although not Pennsylvania, but your current job does not, apparently, require bar membership. The passing score varies dramatically among the 25 UBE jurisdictions, so you should be able to get at least the lowest passing score which would qualify for at least 5 or 6 jurisdictions.

Thank you for this advice! Themis actually accidentally sent me the UBE books in addition to PA so maybe I will consider that. I'm from NY so it was always a state I contemplated taking. I just post poned my prep program to next Feb... gives me a year to plan accordingly and get this over with!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:50 am

New York state UBE score (266) is in the middle of the passing score range among the 26 states & DC that administer the UBE.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:07 am

The three most difficult bar exams in the US are: 1) Delaware 2) California & 3) Oregon. Only Oregon is an UBE jurisdiction.

UBE passing scores:

1) Oregon 284
2) Alaska & Idaho 280
3) Colorado 276
4) Arizona 273
5) Nebraska, New Hampshire, Utah, Vermont, Washington State, West Virginia & Wyoming 270
6) New York, New Jersey, DC, Conn., Iowa, Kansas, Montana & South Carolina 266
7) Alabama, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico & North Dakota 260

Maine & one other state have not yet set/determined their UBE passing score.

MPRE is still required & administered separately.

VSCPGH

New

Postby VSCPGH » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The three most difficult bar exams in the US are: 1) Delaware 2) California & 3) Oregon. Only Oregon is an UBE jurisdiction.

UBE passing scores:

1) Oregon 284
2) Alaska & Idaho 280
3) Colorado 276
4) Arizona 273
5) Nebraska, New Hampshire, Utah, Vermont, Washington State, West Virginia & Wyoming 270
6) New York, New Jersey, DC, Conn., Iowa, Kansas, Montana & South Carolina 266
7) Alabama, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico & North Dakota 260

Maine & one other state have not yet set/determined their UBE passing score.

MPRE is still required & administered separately.

Awesome! You're the best. PA is obviously not UBE but its 272. My 268 this past July was soul crushing haha.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?