Illinois feb 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
umichman

Bronze

Illinois feb 2017

Post by umichman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Taking his bar. Enrolled in barbri do I need to buy anything else?

Jwood

New

Re: Illinois feb 2017

Post by Jwood » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:44 pm

On the same note, I took the UBE last summer and passed by a bit. Got like a 320. I am planning on taking the Illinois bar exam in February. Since I just passed the UBE I don't plan on studying very hard for the Illinois exam. Does anyone have any good resources for the Illinois state specific sections of the exam? I don't want to buy a full bar review course again, but need to learn the Illinois specific sections. (Only sitting for the writing portion of the exam if that matters).

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:35 pm

I did critical pass and lean sheets. That was helpful.

As far as state specific stuff, just go on Illinois Bar Examiner's site and download recent IL essays. It is only 15% of the exam and honestly if you answer most questions the way the MBE or MEE would, you are probably fine. Just try and have an understanding of Illinois Civil Practice

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm

anyone have guesses as to which subjects are more or less likely to be tested in Feb based on recent tests?

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 pm

pdwannabe wrote:anyone have guesses as to which subjects are more or less likely to be tested in Feb based on recent tests?
It seems like every single barbri lecturer knows exactly what is going to be on the exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:53 am

are there any resources for quick summaries of IL distinctions?

unidentifiable

Bronze

Post by unidentifiable » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:56 pm

No metal detector. Kind of strange.

Anoni-mous

New

Post by Anoni-mous » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:13 pm

unidentifiable wrote:No metal detector. Kind of strange.
Because it's Chicago? Your user name doesn't fool me Trump...

HiOCEAN

New

Post by HiOCEAN » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:01 am

pdwannabe wrote:are there any resources for quick summaries of IL distinctions?
Don't waste time on Illinois distinctions. Just go through IL civ pro and the IL specific essay topics, but don't try to find IL specific nuances for the MBE subjects. The points gained would not be worth the time preparing for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:35 pm

HiOCEAN wrote:
Don't waste time on Illinois distinctions. Just go through IL civ pro and the IL specific essay topics, but don't try to find IL specific nuances for the MBE subjects. The points gained would not be worth the time preparing for that.
I agree with this and feel the exact same way for pretty much any state (though if some state tests more specifics than I am aware of, please advise).

For the relative low amount of state specific points you can pick up I don't see it as worthwhile to spend the time to learn it - especially if it will in any way confuse the issues when it comes to the MBE.

Michigan was my first exam and the state I went to law school in and clerked in, I was aware that there were SOME distinctions between the federal rules and Michigan, but I couldn't have cared less. My essays were beyond passing and I don't believe I cited to a specific Michigan case or rule in any of the 15 essays. In Illinois there are only SIX state specific essays - just not worth fretting about nuanced and subtle differences when you can score above average by following the common law and simply writing a well organized and reasoned essay. Your time is better spent doing MBE questions and mastering common law principles for the MBE and MEE (if we are talking Illinois specifically).

HiOCEAN

New

Post by HiOCEAN » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:34 am

Illinois has 3, not 6 state specific essays.
ndbigdave wrote:
HiOCEAN wrote:
I agree with this and feel the exact same way for pretty much any state (though if some state tests more specifics than I am aware of, please advise).

For the relative low amount of state specific points you can pick up I don't see it as worthwhile to spend the time to learn it - especially if it will in any way confuse the issues when it comes to the MBE.

Michigan was my first exam and the state I went to law school in and clerked in, I was aware that there were SOME distinctions between the federal rules and Michigan, but I couldn't have cared less. My essays were beyond passing and I don't believe I cited to a specific Michigan case or rule in any of the 15 essays. In Illinois there are only SIX state specific essays - just not worth fretting about nuanced and subtle differences when you can score above average by following the common law and simply writing a well organized and reasoned essay. Your time is better spent doing MBE questions and mastering common law principles for the MBE and MEE (if we are talking Illinois specifically).

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:14 pm

HiOCEAN wrote:Illinois has 3, not 6 state specific essays.
ndbigdave wrote:
HiOCEAN wrote:

Correct. I misspoke - there are only 3 STATE SPECIFIC essays for Illinois and then the MPT in the morning, the afternoon is the six essays which is the MEE.

Same advice though, unless you really need to try and pull out every point for the state essays (and i dont know why that would ever be anyone's situation) you are better off focusing on common law and the materials you learn for MBE and the general concepts offered by your bar review course.

HiOCEAN

New

Post by HiOCEAN » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 am

I disagree that this advice applies to ANY state. Illinois, yes. But let's take North Carolina, for example. There are 12 essays all testing NC Law. They are specifically looking to see if you know what the distinctions are, and on 12 essays, that ends up being a lot of points. Just research your state so you know whether its worth learning state-specific law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”