How much time per day studying for UBE?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
jir92

Bronze

How much time per day studying for UBE?

Postby jir92 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:58 pm

I'm prepping for February 2017 UBE. It's only been a few days, but I'm averaging about 8-9 hours a day (weekday) or so. I worry that I won't be able to be productive if I do anymore. Curious how you all did it (or are doing it). I'm using Kaplan.

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Re: How much time per day studying for UBE?

Postby gladiator0flaw11 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:31 pm

I really need to get it together, Themis has questions that I'm doing but I am burnt out trying for a third time. lol

authio

New

Postby authio » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm doing 9-10 hours a day, M-F, likely adding Saturdays in a few weeks. I'm also using Kaplan as a first time taker.

JohnStone

New

Postby JohnStone » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Somewhere in the 8-12 hour range is probably about right. But don't just try to measure it in terms of hours. Watch the videos and do the assignments (unless you find them completely useless) and try to improve your weaknesses. If you're struggling with MBE questions, do additional practice questions. This is 50% of the exam and if you do well on the MBE, you're in really good shape to pass. I'm not the best multiple choice test taker but I did extra questions and improved during the course. I ended up getting a 143 on the MBE and 295 overall.

Another thing I would suggest is to try to start memorizing as early as possible. It's difficult to create the time when you're still working through all the subjects, but it will come in handy. Kaplan suggests making "one-sheets" and honestly that was my least favorite part of bar prep, but it is really helpful. After each subject, I would condense the long outline into a shorter 2-5 page outline of just rules. This helps you learn the material but it's also useful for memorizing. Towards the end, I was primarily using these to memorize and using the longer outlines and books to supplement.

Last piece of advice is to give yourself some time to relax and clear your mind. You're right that doing too much can be counterproductive. The first month, I was taking Sundays off completely. The second month, I didn't really take any days off but I wish that I had. It is a draining process and you will be burnt out by the end, but you want to keep your mind as fresh as possible on exam day. You're not going to know everything, it's not possible. You might get essay questions on topics that the course didn't even cover. You probably won't feel like you were adequately prepared following the exam. I know I didn't, but in retrospect, Kaplan did a pretty good job helping me prepare. Good luck.

rivermaker

Bronze

Postby rivermaker » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:55 pm

First month I did however long it would take me to do all the Barbri assignments for the day + outline for the lecture. Second month, I made sure I studied 8 hours a day 7 days a week. I actually put a timer on my computer and paused it for any time I wasn't actually studying like even going to the bathroom. No more no less except for the last few days where I studied way less.

jir92

Bronze

Postby jir92 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:48 pm

I've been averaging about 8-9 hours a day since last week, and about 8-10 hours total last weekend more or less. It has largely been very productive study (no Facebook, very little checking phone, occasional bathroom or coffee break, etc). I feel like after 9 hours or so I really get burned out and become unproductive.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�