NYS Bar C&F/Law School disclosure problem

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
jj831

New

NYS Bar C&F/Law School disclosure problem

Postby jj831 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:59 pm

I’m applying for admission to the NYS Bar. I got a problem with C&F and I’m wondering if any of you had an idea of how bad it is.

Basically, I’ve got three minor things to disclose on C&F: two traffic tickets (speeding and jaywalking) and one city code violation (open container on sidewalk). I’m disclosing all of them on the form.

The problem is that they all occurred during law school, but because they were minor infractions, I didn’t think at the time that they were necessary to update my law school records. This wasn’t in bad faith or in an attempt to hide anything; I just sincerely but mistakenly thought they were minor and immaterial and inadvertently neglected to update. (The Dean of Students circulated a memo stating to update your records if you broke any laws etc. during law school, but it said not to bother with minor traffic things.) They were just tickets which I paid for and went on with my life.

Now that I’m filling out the C&F form for bar admission, in the interest of full disclosure I’m putting it all out there, but I realized there may be a discrepancy between my school records and my C&F form. I wrote to the Dean to notify about the tickets, but she said it was too late now to supplement my records. (She said she would forward my late disclosure if the bar admissions asks about it.)

Am I screwed? What should I do? Should I add an addendum to my application or something?

Blackfish

New

Re: NYS Bar C&F/Law School disclosure problem

Postby Blackfish » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Blackfish wrote:There's a guy in the NY Bar thread who had to amend his law school app. for similar reasons. He disclosed the incident on his bar app but didn't update his law school app when it happened during 1L or 2L. NY made him go back and get a letter from his dean. Can't imagine your situation would be different.

This is a thing? I got a praking ticket while in LS. Was there a duty to disclose?

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:59 pm

Log onto LSAC and read the certification statement at the end of your LS app. Many schools have a statement (to which you provided your signature) at the end that you have a continuing duty to disclose until graduation. Some schools don't though. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that you have no duty to disclose to your school. That "continuing obligation" statement can also be found in the header of the C&F section of the app. Talk to your dean of students for the best info.

Edit to add: even if it's not explicitly stated, you probably have a duty to disclose if one of the questions on your LS app encapsulates whatever happened to you during LS. It wouldn't make sense if law schools screened for character & fitness at the application stage but let you go YOLO once you got in.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:38 pm

I might hang you up for a bit while you get a letter from your dean, unfortunately, but those issues are minor and aren't going to keep you out. Not sure your employment situation but it might be better to address it head on with HR after you start and let them know you might get delayed a bit.

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:58 pm

jj831

New

Postby jj831 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 am

Hey all, thanks for the input (back in Dec.—sorry for not replying)

Update: It wasn’t really a big problem but I am only now having my interview/admission etc.

New question: should I bring anything related to these issues to the interview? Documents or copies of the infractions or whatever?

bwh8813

Bronze

Postby bwh8813 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:34 am

jj831 wrote:Hey all, thanks for the input (back in Dec.—sorry for not replying)

Update: It wasn’t really a big problem but I am only now having my interview/admission etc.

New question: should I bring anything related to these issues to the interview? Documents or copies of the infractions or whatever?

Bring what you have and any proof of paying the tickets in case they ask. No need to offer it up if nothing is asked about it.

jj831

New

Postby jj831 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:45 pm

bwh8813 wrote:
jj831 wrote:Hey all, thanks for the input (back in Dec.—sorry for not replying)

Bring what you have and any proof of paying the tickets in case they ask. No need to offer it up if nothing is asked about it.

Thanks. I’m assuming you mean in case they ask e.g. by e-mailing or otherwise asking me beforehand, right? Because so far, at least going by their e-mails, they haven’t asked me anything.

Just don’t want to show up that day and be empty-handed when they say, “So where’s this ticket huh?”

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?