Help on bar exam essays Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Slickrick90

New

Help on bar exam essays

Post by Slickrick90 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Hey guys,

I did extremely poor on essays on the CA bar exam. I was getting 55-60s on the performance tests. I'm not sure where I am going wrong. My essays were also extremely poor. My MBE wasn't really a problem, I ended up with a 142 scaled on the MBE. This is the second bar that I took. Even on my first bar exam, my essays sucked ass and my MBE bailed me out.

The funny part is that I was top 15% at a T14. I can take law school essay exams but for some reason, I sucked on the bar exam.

Maybe this is due to the fact that I am a transactional attorney and I write a memo once a year (if that).

Does anyone have any big picture pieces of advice that you could give me?

Thanks
Last edited by Slickrick90 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Help on bar exam essays

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Last edited by trebekismyhero on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:01 pm

You should really hire a private tutor/essay writing coach. They will be able to tell you where specifically you can improve your essays better than your Bar prep course.

Also your MBE score, while better than your essays, is still a bit behind the curve. I believe in CA you need a 144 scaled to be on track to pass.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:33 pm

Slickrick90 wrote:Hey guys,

I did extremely poor on essays on the CA bar exam. I was getting 55-60s on the performance tests. I'm not sure where I am going wrong. My essays were also extremely poor. My MBE wasn't really a problem, I ended up with a 142 scaled on the MBE. This is the second bar that I took. Even on my first bar exam, my essays sucked ass and my MBE bailed me out.

The funny part is that I was top 15% at a T14. I can take law school essay exams but for some reason, I sucked on the bar exam.

Maybe this is due to the fact that I am a transactional attorney and I write a memo once a year (if that).

Thanks
Writing essays for the bar exam is different than law school. My tutor was able to help me shorten and cut down my analysis section. In law school you can get points for a really thorough analysis. On the bar you just gotta get to the point. Not a single paragraph of analysis I had on a bar exam essay was over 5 sentences. And that would be for a really meaty issue.

So yeah, a writing tutor would help. As would the red PT book.

But if you're good with mbes maybe you should wait until July 2017.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks
If you want to retake in February and improve your scores, here is what I would recommend in no particular order:

1. Hire a tutor to solely grade your practice exams, give feedback and advice as to how you can write better.

2. After writing any of the past bar exams, look at the released answers and compare them to yours.

3. Get a subscription to baressays.com. My school provided us with a free one (otherwise, I likely wouldn't have purchased either - big mistake). After writing each practice exam and reading the released answers I would look at what the bar graders thought was a 55, 65 and/or 75 answer. Typically, I would glance at the 55 to see if they missed issues, didn't format well etc. but then spend the majority reading the 65, 70 or 75 answers to see what they were supposed to look like. If you do this for a high number of essays (whatever that number needs to be for your particular skill set) then you will be ready to tackle the exam.

I generally followed these three steps. Essays were my weakest section initially, but I am convinced that it was my essay scores that put me over the top to pass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:23 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

Thanks
Writing essays for the bar exam is different than law school. My tutor was able to help me shorten and cut down my analysis section. In law school you can get points for a really thorough analysis. On the bar you just gotta get to the point. Not a single paragraph of analysis I had on a bar exam essay was over 5 sentences. And that would be for a really meaty issue.

What is the red PT book?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:43 pm

AspiringCALawyer wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Thanks

What is the red PT book?

Its supposed to be for the MPT, but the methods/information can be used for the California PT.

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:03 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
AspiringCALawyer wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Thanks

What is the red PT book?

Its supposed to be for the MPT, but the methods/information can be used for the California PT.
Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”