UBE: D.C. or New York? Does it matter?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
mjl4612

New

UBE: D.C. or New York? Does it matter?

Postby mjl4612 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:14 am

I'm a 2015 graduate and attorney licensed in Louisiana and living in Washington, D.C. I plan to take the UBE in February, but I am debating whether to take it in D.C. or New York. I would like to eventually be admitted to both jurisdictions to give me the most job opportunities. However, I am currently applying for a couple of jobs in New York that require me to be admitted there ASAP.

Does it matter where I sit for the UBE in January? D.C. would be more convenient because I wouldn't have to travel and pay for extra expenses. But would taking it in D.C. and then waiving into New York slow the process? That is my only concern. I'm new to the whole UBE thing coming from Louisiana, so I am just making sure I am not missing something.

smileyface

New

Re: UBE: D.C. or New York? Does it matter?

Postby smileyface » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Would you be planning to practice at all -- at least initially -- in DC? If not I think I'd just go straight for NY to not have to redo moral character and wait another administration before getting sworn in...

Also, I think NY's application deadline for the upcoming February bar is November 30th. I believe the DC UBE application for Feb is open until December 15.

So unless you've started the application for NY or can finish it before it is due, it may make more sense to go for the DC bar exam.

Either way, good luck! I'll be taking this UBE administration as well :-)

mjl4612

New

Postby mjl4612 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Thank you, smiley. I'm currently applying to jobs in both D.C. and New York (I'm open to working in either jurisdiction), so I think I'll just take the UBE in DC for convenience purposes and then waive into New York asap. I appreciate the confirmation. Best of luck to you as well! :D

squiggle

Bronze

Postby squiggle » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:25 am

Hopefully DC will work out some of the issues they were having in July: http://abovethelaw.com/2016/07/reports-of-chaos-at-day-1-of-the-d-c-bar-exam/

mjl4612

New

Postby mjl4612 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:30 pm

I hope so as well. It seemed like a complete mess. :cry:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?