2017 February California Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
maxmartin

Silver
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby maxmartin » Fri May 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Do they always say this shit in previous release? ""The State Bar is undertaking a series of studies into the bar exam. The initial phase of the standard setting study, which examines the cut score, begins on May 15."

User avatar
Guchster

Silver
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby Guchster » Fri May 12, 2017 9:12 pm

For all those who failed, wait to see what your MBE score is. The exam will be 50/50 MBE/Essays in July and I bet it's going to raise the score given that 70% of the test will not be at the mercy of some shitty subjective bar exam grader too incompetent to get a real job as a lawyer (which research has shown is entirely inconsistent).

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 pm

maxmartin wrote:Do they always say this shit in previous release? ""The State Bar is undertaking a series of studies into the bar exam. The initial phase of the standard setting study, which examines the cut score, begins on May 15."

No, that's actually a new thing. I believe this is a result of California deans asking the State Bar to reconsider what you need to pass. More like the Bar should PISS off

maxmartin

Silver
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby maxmartin » Fri May 12, 2017 9:15 pm

a male human wrote:
maxmartin wrote:Do they always say this shit in previous release? ""The State Bar is undertaking a series of studies into the bar exam. The initial phase of the standard setting study, which examines the cut score, begins on May 15."

No, that's actually a new thing. I believe this is a result of California deans asking the State Bar to reconsider what you need to pass. More like the Bar should PISS off


I hope they will lower the cutoff score for July edition.

barexaminerssuck27

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby barexaminerssuck27 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:15 pm

maxmartin wrote:
barexaminerssuck27 wrote:I failed again.

Can someone PLEASE help me pass this? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

What will your mom say? Don't tell her.



She called and I told her the bad news. She said that her birthday and Mother's Day is ruined and hung up the phone.

User avatar
Guchster

Silver
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby Guchster » Fri May 12, 2017 9:16 pm

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
barexaminerssuck27 wrote:I failed again.

Can someone PLEASE help me pass this? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

What will your mom say? Don't tell her.



She called and I told her the bad news. She said that her birthday and Mother's Day is ruined and hung up the phone.


CRUEL! :oops:

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Fri May 12, 2017 9:17 pm

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
barexaminerssuck27 wrote:I failed again.

Can someone PLEASE help me pass this? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

What will your mom say? Don't tell her.



She called and I told her the bad news. She said that her birthday and Mother's Day is ruined and hung up the phone.

Jesus, the State Bar better not hire your mom because that's too savage. I'm really sorry to hear about this man.

Let's regroup when you get scores back so we can analyze what needs improvement..

maxmartin

Silver
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby maxmartin » Fri May 12, 2017 9:18 pm

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
barexaminerssuck27 wrote:I failed again.

Can someone PLEASE help me pass this? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

What will your mom say? Don't tell her.



She called and I told her the bad news. She said that her birthday and Mother's Day is ruined and hung up the phone.

At least you don't live together.

maxmartin

Silver
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby maxmartin » Fri May 12, 2017 9:20 pm

I am hoping they will lower the cut off score for July. But I know that is impossible, because they already change the exam format. I doubt they will do too many changes in a single edition.

barexaminerssuck27

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby barexaminerssuck27 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Can someone please help me? Or at least someone I can talk to.

Good karma will come back. Please private message me.

sk1130

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby sk1130 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Did not pass. Absolutely devastated. :cry:

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1356
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby Npret » Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 pm

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
barexaminerssuck27 wrote:I failed again.

Can someone PLEASE help me pass this? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

What will your mom say? Don't tell her.



She called and I told her the bad news. She said that her birthday and Mother's Day is ruined and hung up the phone.


I don't think you need to take responsibility for your moms happiness. That's her problem and in my opinion she is behaving very badly towards you.

Try not to get too down on yourself. The exam is difficult and many people fail. You will be able to sort outa new plan of action. Just give yourself some time.

sittin_pretty

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby sittin_pretty » Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Huge hugs to everyone!

I passed, but I'm not surprised at the 34.5% pass rate. That exam was a BEAST, and those who didn't pass this time I hope will not stop congratulating yourselves for taking the hardest bar exam in the country this year and not letting it break you (don't let it break you!). Next time will be ONE DAY SHORTER. Never give up.

xox

Underoath

Bronze
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby Underoath » Fri May 12, 2017 9:39 pm

I didn't pass. I really thought I passed this time.

User avatar
Snowboarder1588

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:42 pm

guys. I passed. I really didnt think I did. But please. If you didn't pass, keep your head up. seriously. This exam is not about how smart you are or how much you know. It's about how much you know the exam. Keep your head up, and I am sure you will pass next time. Cheers!

sittin_pretty

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby sittin_pretty » Fri May 12, 2017 9:44 pm

How long does it take them to post the model answers? I'm dying to know how they think essay #2 should have been answered.

ur_hero

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby ur_hero » Fri May 12, 2017 9:54 pm

I passed. I seriously don't think I could have maintained the drive and motivation to push for this without all of you here (I've been here almost every day since November 19), so thank you. Being part of a community of others who understood what I was going through has been so key to managing my emotional and mental stability, as I've literally refused to talk about the bar exam with friends, family, and my workplace (not to say they haven't offered all the support in the world as well). This has been my outlet. I'm thankful for you all.

Congrats to those who passed. And I sincerely hope those that did not this time around will regroup and direct everything they have into the next one and feel what I felt today.
Last edited by ur_hero on Fri May 12, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spartan4life

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby spartan4life » Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 pm

I passed! This broke law grad with no job and food stamps did it! I truly feel literally humbled. I quit my job for my second attempt to study and needed to go on food stamps to buy food. To my brothers and sisters of law school that did not pass, know that you can pass too!!! Believe and study and you will!!!

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Fri May 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Congrats to more people bearing the good news. It does feel like a life-or-death situation. The bar is pretty much a rite of passage.

It's not your grades or how smart you are. OK, well, there is some correlation... but consider that I graduated bottom 11% of my law school class (and pretty sure I almost failed the pass/fail Moot Court class) and it only took me two tries.

It's possible. It is a possibility for you to pass. Because this is a learnable skill, not something that requires you to have good writing skills (use formulaic IRAC) or be a legal rock star (see above) or an infinite budget (you just need a core set of supplements that you work to death).

RavenAgain

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby RavenAgain » Fri May 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Failed. Time to learn the new format, and my ignorances...

Are there any examples published with the new exam format? While I think the old material is good for the substantive law I would be intrigued to see the MPT file and library example with a sample answer.

Also where can I buy a 2017 Barbri set, as mine is getting a bit old... Cheers!

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Fri May 12, 2017 10:27 pm

RavenAgain wrote:Failed. Time to learn the new format, and my ignorances...

Are there any examples published with the new exam format? While I think the old material is good for the substantive law I would be intrigued to see the MPT file and library example with a sample answer.

Also where can I buy a 2017 Barbri set, as mine is getting a bit old... Cheers!

Are you looking for the sample 90-minute PT? http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 020217.pdf

I'd actually still use the legacy PTs to practice, but take a look at the shorter one above. You can also look at Multistate PTs (MPTs) from the NCBE, as they are also 90 minutes long: http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mpt/preparing/

Individual essays and MBE questions will remain the same format as before.

RavenAgain

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby RavenAgain » Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 pm

a male human wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:Failed. Time to learn the new format, and my ignorances...

Are there any examples published with the new exam format? While I think the old material is good for the substantive law I would be intrigued to see the MPT file and library example with a sample answer.

Also where can I buy a 2017 Barbri set, as mine is getting a bit old... Cheers!

Are you looking for the sample 90-minute PT? http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 020217.pdf

I'd actually still use the legacy PTs to practice, but take a look at the shorter one above. You can also look at Multistate PTs (MPTs) from the NCBE, as they are also 90 minutes long: http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mpt/preparing/

Individual essays and MBE questions will remain the same format as before.


Thank you!

nsv

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby nsv » Fri May 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Did not pass...I have never felt so defeated in my life. It really sucks that I can't see my score in detail yet...Does anyone know whether the July 2017 bar exam will release the results in the same time frame as it has done in the past?

spartan4life

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby spartan4life » Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 pm

nsv wrote:Did not pass...I have never felt so defeated in my life. It really sucks that I can't see my score in detail yet...Does anyone know whether the July 2017 bar exam will release the results in the same time frame as it has done in the past?


I did not pass my first time. The feeling was terrible too. I couldn't even cry because I was sooo mad. I worked out instead. I hope you feel better. You CAN pass. Take a break, gather your thoughts, and go after it again.

unitball

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 12:37 am

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby unitball » Sat May 13, 2017 12:10 am

Didn't pass. Feeling pretty frustrated right now. Congrats to all those that passed though.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests