2017 February California Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
I-object

New

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Postby I-object » Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Thank you 9xsound for that divine perspective. So eloquently and thoughtfully said. Where I was feeling anxious, am now accepting of the results good or bad. And not just the results, but of life and my place in it. Ive been humbled, and in a sense reborn come what may, yet quietly still sit and pray. Good Luck to each and everyone of you.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Postby InterAlia1961 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:05 am

a male human wrote:What's your race, religion, political affiliation, gender, and sexual preference? Any other silly information you'd like to share?

Exactly.

RavenAgain

New

Postby RavenAgain » Thu May 11, 2017 4:58 pm

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:When I failed the last bar, I kept telling myself that this is a first world problem.

True.

ur_hero

Bronze

Postby ur_hero » Thu May 11, 2017 5:49 pm

RavenAgain wrote:
barexaminerssuck27 wrote:When I failed the last bar, I kept telling myself that this is a first world problem.

True.

Yeah.....But it really REALLLY sucks. :p

sittin_pretty

New

Postby sittin_pretty » Thu May 11, 2017 11:30 pm

9xSound wrote:Whatever happens, try to remember that passing or failing the California by God bar exam is not what defines who you are. How you handle those results — good or bad — will be the measure of your character.

If you pass, congratulations. Well done. You deserve to celebrate. But try to show a modicum of poise and restraint, at least publicly. Have a little empathy for those who get bad news. Many of them will be simply crushed. Please don't go on Facebook and post a bunch of photos of yourself making dumb faces in wild celebration. This is a profession, not a football game. Try to maintain your professional bearing. But you are absolutely entitled to celebrate. You've come a long way and made it to the top. You have just distanced yourself forever from most of your old friends in high school. Again, congratulations.

If you don't pass, man, I'm sorry. I lived through it once. It was a terrible heartache, a physical pain in the chest that didn't go away for weeks. But it isn't fatal. You need to remember that your dignity and pride are still intact. Hold your head up. Look everybody squarely in the eye and tell them, "I didn't pass. I need to make some adjustments before I retake it in July." And then resolve yourself to get back in the game, figure out what you did wrong, fix it, and tackle it once more. If people were watching how you handled the test, you can bet that they're watching how you handle defeat. Show class and grace under fire. Very important. And remember this: those who persevere through failure inspire others to do the same. I've noticed that many of the people who come to this forum to share insight and encouragement to repeaters on how to get past the bar are people who failed it at least once themselves. There's a lot to be said for that. If you get bad news, don't just curl up into a ball and cry your eyes out — although it's tempting. Stand up. Tell yourself that you are a badass. That you have more guts than average people. That you will never accept defeat. You will not be denied admission. Get out your books and get to work. Get angry, but not irrationally. Don't waste time blaming your tutor or the graders. Channel your anger into analyzing what you did wrong last time, and how you're going to change things up. Be determined to grab the test by the horns and take its ass down to the ground. Yes, you can do it. And when the day finally arrives that you land on the pass list, all the black clouds will blow away and the sun will come out again. Until then, you have to fight. Be a fighter. It's just as much about what's in your heart as what's in your head.

I wish this forum had a "like" button.
Wonderful wisdom here. Thank you.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Postby Leprechaun » Thu May 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Good luck to y'all. I went through much of the same anxiety two weeks ago waiting on Texas results. I was useless at work the day results were coming out. Hoping y'all get to experience the joy of passing. I literally cried like a baby lol but it was worth it. Good luck!!

deceptivelyblonde

New

Postby deceptivelyblonde » Fri May 12, 2017 1:46 am

Good Luck everyone! I'm saying a prayer and sending you all "passing" thoughts long distance. Hugs!

Tip ~ Have some ice cream and a funny movie on standby. If you fail, they'll go a long ways towards taking your mind off it and cheering you up. If you pass, it is great for celebrations and you can laugh until you cry - getting some of those long building emotions out finally.

My Chinese students would tell you "Jiayou!" (加油). The basic meaning is to put more gas in the car, but now it means keep fighting! You can do it! Just hold on!

MMCheung

New

Postby MMCheung » Fri May 12, 2017 1:57 am

Last night of not knowing. Let's all take a moment to honor the time and effort we've put in. The journey definitely counts for something! To have gotten to this point takes character and a willingness to be vulnerable. All great things. Say thanks. For our bodies that put up with whatever study schedule we put it through. Our brains for working hard. Support from loved ones. Tie a nice bow around this period in our lives. And say well done for reaching the finish line :).

MMCheung

New

Postby MMCheung » Fri May 12, 2017 2:01 am

deceptivelyblonde wrote:
Tip ~ Have some ice cream and a funny movie on standby. If you fail, they'll go a long ways towards taking your mind off it and cheering you up.

I have been trying to come up with an action plan for if I fail so I don't just stand there and then go into zombie mope mode. Thought lots of how to handle bad news if it comes. Nothing quite felt right. Then this suggestion! might be a winner! Thanks!

keepgoing2016

New

Postby keepgoing2016 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:49 am

Good luck today guys!!

unitball

New

Postby unitball » Fri May 12, 2017 4:21 am

I've been spending my night going over rules from all the subjects just in case the news isn't so great later today. This way, picking up and studying again won't feel so hard.

RavenAgain

New

Postby RavenAgain » Fri May 12, 2017 6:53 am

MMCheung wrote:Last night of not knowing. Let's all take a moment to honor the time and effort we've put in. The journey definitely counts for something! To have gotten to this point takes character and a willingness to be vulnerable. All great things. Say thanks. For our bodies that put up with whatever study schedule we put it through. Our brains for working hard. Support from loved ones. Tie a nice bow around this period in our lives. And say well done for reaching the finish line :).

Beautifully said. 学然后知不足 - to learn is to know one’s ignorance, or in other words though learning one understands one's ignorance. The more you learn, the more you want to know. Tonight we will know whether we can enter the next chapter... but even if we don't, we will understand our own ignorance better.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Postby InterAlia1961 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:52 am

unitball wrote:I've been spending my night going over rules from all the subjects just in case the news isn't so great later today. This way, picking up and studying again won't feel so hard.

I've been doing MCQs for the last few days, for the same reason. I haven't studied in ten weeks, and getting back into the groove might be difficult...mostly because I'm just tired of studying for this thing. If the news isn't good, I'll go again in July.

I woke up with an upset stomach. I suspect it'll be with me for the next 13 hours. Good luck everyone.

RavenAgain

New

Postby RavenAgain » Fri May 12, 2017 7:57 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
unitball wrote:I've been spending my night going over rules from all the subjects just in case the news isn't so great later today. This way, picking up and studying again won't feel so hard.

I've been doing MCQs for the last few days, for the same reason. I haven't studied in ten weeks, and getting back into the groove might be difficult...mostly because I'm just tired of studying for this thing. If the news isn't good, I'll go again in July.

I woke up with an upset stomach. I suspect it'll be with me for the next 13 hours. Good luck everyone.

My stomach tries the same. I have my last day at work today, yeah! What a nice outlook - either I will study full time (instead of part time) or I will be looking for a job as an attorney! May it be the latter of the two options.

SUPERFEVER

New

Postby SUPERFEVER » Fri May 12, 2017 11:44 am

It's been a roller-coaster thinking about this test. Some days I get hung up on the things that didn't go right, and others I'm really proud of my total performance. At the end of the day, I keep asking myself - did I really bring the heat this time? I think I did, and for the first time I'm semi-looking forward to checking the scores.

Failing would only be a nightmare because at this point I have no F'n clue what else to do or how to prepare differently.

LockBox

Bronze

Postby LockBox » Fri May 12, 2017 12:06 pm

SUPERFEVER wrote:It's been a roller-coaster thinking about this test. Some days I get hung up on the things that didn't go right, and others I'm really proud of my total performance. At the end of the day, I keep asking myself - did I really bring the heat this time? I think I did, and for the first time I'm semi-looking forward to checking the scores.

Failing would only be a nightmare because at this point I have no F'n clue what else to do or how to prepare differently.

The bolded is exactly what you should NOT be worried about right now. If you fail, this will be your job for 10 weeks - trust me, you'll figure a few things out and learn how to learn better.

When I was checking my score I had a car drive trip to vegas planned. When I learned I had failed, I still took the trip. It was hard - all I wanted to do was sulk. But I took the trip, gave myself the weekend to relax, drink a little and resolve to make this my mission.

The next time the bar came around, I was humble but felt I crushed it. The wait was hard - I was fortunate in that I had a boss who just kept giving me work the week leading up to results. "You're being pretty optimistic" i'd tell him to which he replied "it's a lock." I wasn't so sure and was a wreck from 3pm - 6pm. You likely will be too tonight, which is okay. I say embrace it - you'll always look back on it with some type of fondness.

A professor told me the story of hansel and gretel. The relevant portion was that they used bread crumbs to mark their path deep into the woods, only to find out that the birds had eaten them, they didn't know their way back and they were lost. I think the point was, the story/adventure truly began only once they realized the crumbs had been eaten.

Pass or fail this afternoon, there will still be setbacks. I had a partner yell at me the other week for a mistake that wasn't my fault. It's not my job to correct him - it's my job to make sure things go smoothly. My failures with the bar helped me have the poise to deal with situations like that. It will help you too.

Good luck all. I'm nervous for you guys.

a male human

Gold

Postby a male human » Fri May 12, 2017 12:11 pm

I'll be here as well for the biannual barmageddon. Best of luck!

barexaminerssuck27

New

Postby barexaminerssuck27 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:17 pm

State bar called me yesterday and said "hey, we need you to resent some papers ASAP" Apparently I forgot to send all of my papers for my C&F.

Great timing guys.

Silver

Postby 2807 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Good luck folks.
If you pass: good for you, now get to work.

If you fail, remember:
This hurts your ego, not your future.
You will recover, you will return, you will pass.

Either you can, or you can't.
Either way, you're right.
So have the right attitude when you're done crying.
Get it out...and let it go.

Keep up a good attitude and watch how your feelings of shame and despair immediately turn to the mother-of-all success story of perseverance, iron-effort, and never-say-die attitude... when you eventually pass.
And...Notice... the facts won't change, but you're perception of them sure will.
And, THAT, my friends, is the real life lesson.

Its all in your head.
Trust me...I come to you from the future.

Good luck !

RavenAgain

New

Postby RavenAgain » Fri May 12, 2017 5:02 pm

a male human wrote:I'll be here as well for the biannual barmageddon. Best of luck!

I call that loyalty! Have seen you around...

a male human

Gold

Postby a male human » Fri May 12, 2017 5:17 pm

RavenAgain wrote:
a male human wrote:I'll be here as well for the biannual barmageddon. Best of luck!

The nightmare never ends...

alexmares50

New

Postby alexmares50 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:34 pm

good luck guys and gals

RavenAgain

New

Postby RavenAgain » Fri May 12, 2017 6:42 pm

a male human wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:

The nightmare never ends...

Most don't come back. Why did you?

drawingasmile

New

Postby drawingasmile » Fri May 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Good luck everyone!

Guchster

Silver

Postby Guchster » Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Good luck all! I hope everyone gets through this home stretch with some semblance of sanity. Truly cruel and unusual punishment.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?