nj bar application

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
seasidemama

New

nj bar application

Postby seasidemama » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:19 am

I am in the process of filling out the c&f section.
It asks if I was EVER in arrears on a student loan.. does arrears mean any lateness - or is it 30 or 90 days plus or some other standard?

sorry for the silly question...

3lephant

New

Re: nj bar application

Postby 3lephant » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:35 pm

seasidemama wrote:I am in the process of filling out the c&f section.
It asks if I was EVER in arrears on a student loan.. does arrears mean any lateness - or is it 30 or 90 days plus or some other standard?

No, generally speaking it does not mean any lateness. Take a look at the terms of your promissory note (what you executed with your student loan provider to receive funds), and it should specify terms of default, and arrears. Usually "arrears" means extreme lateness. Unless you have been getting (or have gotten) letters/notifications from your provider that you are seriously overdue on loan payments, then likely you have never been in arrears. Hope that helps.

seasidemama

New

Postby seasidemama » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:20 am

3lephant wrote:

No, generally speaking it does not mean any lateness. Take a look at the terms of your promissory note (what you executed with your student loan provider to receive funds), and it should specify terms of default, and arrears. Usually "arrears" means extreme lateness. Unless you have been getting (or have gotten) letters/notifications from your provider that you are seriously overdue on loan payments, then likely you have never been in arrears. Hope that helps.

Thanks for replying!

Honestly, these loans are over ten years old and there was a period probably 7-8 years ago when I missed some payments... but got everything up to current and have never made a late pmt in at least 6 years at least... No way I have any of these records right now... was hoping not to have to dig.. :roll:

3lephant

New

Postby 3lephant » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:56 am

seasidemama wrote:
3lephant wrote:

Thanks for replying!

Honestly, these loans are over ten years old and there was a period probably 7-8 years ago when I missed some payments... but got everything up to current and have never made a late pmt in at least 6 years at least... No way I have any of these records right now... was hoping not to have to dig.. :roll:

Why not just give your loan servicer a call and have them look through your payment history?

seasidemama

New

Postby seasidemama » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:36 pm

3lephant wrote:
seasidemama wrote:
3lephant wrote:

Thanks for replying!

Why not just give your loan servicer a call and have them look through your payment history?

The loans were transferred from citi to sally mae and now navient. My late payments were with citi as part of all their restructuring... no longer have an acct with them...

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�