Advice Needed

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
rhs67858

New

Advice Needed

Postby rhs67858 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:30 am

Im retaking CA bar in Feb. Failed in July and used Barbri. I have a rough idea what I need to focus on going forwarding. However, insofar as I'm using Barbri again, I feel pretty uncomfortable with their MBE prep. I want to pull the trigger on Adaptibar but $400 is a little pricey. Does anyone have some words of wisdom? I'll probably buy it in the next week. I am already going through Barbri's lecture book from July. Frankly, I'm still deciding on where/how to begin. Thanks TLS!

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: Advice Needed

Postby rcharter1978 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:00 am

rhs67858 wrote:Im retaking CA bar in Feb. Failed in July and used Barbri. I have a rough idea what I need to focus on going forwarding. However, insofar as I'm using Barbri again, I feel pretty uncomfortable with their MBE prep. I want to pull the trigger on Adaptibar but $400 is a little pricey. Does anyone have some words of wisdom? I'll probably buy it in the next week. I am already going through Barbri's lecture book from July. Frankly, I'm still deciding on where/how to begin. Thanks TLS!

I would use AdaptiBar, but maybe you can get the Emmanuels Book (I think it has previously used MBE questions) which may be cheaper. I guess from my POV, you're gonna pay like what, close to $1000 bucks to take this exam, and you're going to spend your time waiting for results. I think skimping on prep can be pennywise and pound foolish.

Now, should you pay full price? I don't think so, I know someone on here has to have at least a $50 off code, but if you work resources, you can get $60-$75 discount codes. My tutor had a code that was for like $65 off or something like that.

Oh...and Feb 2017 is the new 2 day format, right? Yeah, I would just spring for AdaptiBar since the MBE will be 50% of the grade, instead of like 35% as it was with the 3 day exam.

I also think that there must be a site, somewhere that can give you a study calendar.

My process was to go through each subject. First study BLL, then do MBE's in the subject, then do essays.

didntretake

New

Postby didntretake » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 am

I highly recommend using Adaptibar. I used that along with BARBRI and scored well on the MBE.

Any investment in your MBE score will be worthwhile if it is 50% of the grade. $300-400 (depending on coupon code) isn't that much in the long run.

LockBox

Bronze

Postby LockBox » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:41 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
rhs67858 wrote:Im retaking CA bar in Feb. Failed in July and used Barbri. I have a rough idea what I need to focus on going forwarding. However, insofar as I'm using Barbri again, I feel pretty uncomfortable with their MBE prep. I want to pull the trigger on Adaptibar but $400 is a little pricey. Does anyone have some words of wisdom? I'll probably buy it in the next week. I am already going through Barbri's lecture book from July. Frankly, I'm still deciding on where/how to begin. Thanks TLS!

I would use AdaptiBar, but maybe you can get the Emmanuels Book (I think it has previously used MBE questions) which may be cheaper. I guess from my POV, you're gonna pay like what, close to $1000 bucks to take this exam, and you're going to spend your time waiting for results. I think skimping on prep can be pennywise and pound foolish.

Now, should you pay full price? I don't think so, I know someone on here has to have at least a $50 off code, but if you work resources, you can get $60-$75 discount codes. My tutor had a code that was for like $65 off or something like that.

Oh...and Feb 2017 is the new 2 day format, right? Yeah, I would just spring for AdaptiBar since the MBE will be 50% of the grade, instead of like 35% as it was with the 3 day exam.

I also think that there must be a site, somewhere that can give you a study calendar.

My process was to go through each subject. First study BLL, then do MBE's in the subject, then do essays.

Just to clear a few things up - Feb is NOT the 2 day format. It is still a 3 day exam. 2 day format starts July, 2017.

Secondly, how do you know that you failed in CA given that results are not out yet for another 8 days? Adaptibar works well, just use someone's coupon code. Lastly, where you should begin is here - get your results and see where you are deficient. Was it your essays, MBE, PTs? All of the above? Start there. Good luck.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:47 pm

LockBox wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Just to clear a few things up - Feb is NOT the 2 day format. It is still a 3 day exam. 2 day format starts July, 2017.

Secondly, how do you know that you failed in CA given that results are not out yet for another 8 days? Adaptibar works well, just use someone's coupon code. Lastly, where you should begin is here - get your results and see where you are deficient. Was it your essays, MBE, PTs? All of the above? Start there. Good luck.

I failed the July '15 exam and passed the Feb '16 exam.

OP seems to know where he is deficient (I did too before I got the results) and I would spend the money even for even 35%

Heck, I spent the money even though my MBE score was fine. It wasn't my focus, but I didn't want to slip on MBE's and I didn't want to use Barbri MBE questions.

LockBox

Bronze

Postby LockBox » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:57 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
LockBox wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

I failed the July '15 exam and passed the Feb '16 exam.

OP seems to know where he is deficient (I did too before I got the results) and I would spend the money even for even 35%

Heck, I spent the money even though my MBE score was fine. It wasn't my focus, but I didn't want to slip on MBE's and I didn't want to use Barbri MBE questions.

We're 100% in agreement - I would not hesitate to recommend adaptibar. My only caution would be to address weak points, but it appears OP didn't knock the MBE out of the park.

squiggle

Bronze

Postby squiggle » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:14 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

I used both Adaptibar and Emmanuels. There's some overlap, as both use some real questions from NCBE, but Adaptibar has 1,700 questions (and great data regarding how you're doing on each subtopic, how you compare to those in your state, and your performance timing-wise). Adaptibar is online, so I often did Adaptibar questions when I had a few minutes here or there, such as in line at the grocery store. Emmanuel's has outlines and arguably better answer explanation, but it has less questions overall (700). I feel there's also a benefit to practicing doing questions on paper and bubbling answers. Adaptibar has a free trial that you can do if you're curious but not totally sold. I also have a $30 Adaptibar discount (Adaptibar has reduced its previous discount of $50). I can send you the discount, just PM your email address. Each has their benefit, and I found both Adaptibar and Emmanuels useful.

viz-luv

Bronze

Postby viz-luv » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:21 pm

I used barmax question bank. It is cheaper than adaptibar. I don't think it has as many features though, but it does have all the questions and explanations.

rhs67858

New

Postby rhs67858 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. Sometimes I trip myself out and think I will never pass the CA bar. It's ridiculous, and I know its not ok to marinate on ideas like that. I am good. I am clerking two days a week (Tues & Thurs from 8-2), and studying for the rest of my time. The plan is to lock myself in my room and library, and only gym it once a day for an hour or so in the evening to release.

I have Emmanuel's 5th (I think that's the one without civ pro), and my July Barbri stuff. I will buy Adaptibar as well.

Viz-Luv: Thanks for the advice!

didretake: Thank you. I agree that the investments now are always worth it long term.

Squiggle: Thanks for the advice here. I remember you advised me earlier this summer on another thread, and I really appreciated everything you said regarding each section. I am PMing you now. I am pumped up re what Adaptibar offers.

LockBox: I actually didn't complete the 100 questions both times, so that's one of my biggest MBE concerns: The stamina aspect of doing 100 questions in under three hours.

RCharter1978: Hey RCharter1978, I remember your advice from an earlier thread as well. Thanks again. I made serious mistakes in all three subjects, including not really utilizing all of Barbri's resources well (i.e., never got essays graded and returned, did not do either of the 100 question sessions). I was irresponsible this past summer. I was arrogant and I paid for it.

If anyone has a good study calendar they can share I'd love to take a look.

Thanks again everyone.

didntretake

New

Postby didntretake » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:18 pm

OP - you got this!

rhs67858

New

Postby rhs67858 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Thanks, didntretake! Im steadily getting back into savage mode. Clerking Tues and Thursday mornings, and studying the rest of the week. I just bought the Adaptibar prep too. Plan is to finish going through my entire lecture handout notebook from Barbri, and then do Adaptibar's 50 question for each subject diagnostic. I want to see where Im at then.

2TimesTheCharm

New

Postby 2TimesTheCharm » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:24 pm

the results aren't out yet. how do you know you failed?

don't stress yourself out too much. the process sucks for everyone. very few people walked away from the exam thinking "i got this."

rhs67858

New

Postby rhs67858 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:05 pm

2TimesTheCharm, thanks but I know I did. Technically, I am not 100% sure. But just from revisiting all the mistakes I made (whether its massively not completing either of the 100 MBE sets, or missing major issues on essays, or bombing both PTs) insofar as I realized them, then the moment I did is the moment I want to begin prep again.

I want to walk in there feeling prepared. I don't want to make mistakes during prep this time around and feel like I wont pass going in. That's how it was for me in July--in the end I felt defeated walking in. I started late, and skipped alot of what Barbri assigned me. I didnt practice any PTs. I didnt get any essays graded. Frankly, I worked out more than I studied. I was arrogant and irresponsible, and it was a costly mistake. I will not do that again.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:44 pm

Rhs -- the first time i knew i failed too. I think you're doing the right thing, you're starting to plan and prep for the next exam.

Maybe you get a pleasant surprise on Friday, but if you don't you're taking the right approach IMO

a male human

Gold

Postby a male human » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:16 pm

rhs67858 wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone. Sometimes I trip myself out and think I will never pass the CA bar. It's ridiculous, and I know its not ok to marinate on ideas like that. I am good. I am clerking two days a week (Tues & Thurs from 8-2), and studying for the rest of my time. The plan is to lock myself in my room and library, and only gym it once a day for an hour or so in the evening to release.

I have Emmanuel's 5th (I think that's the one without civ pro), and my July Barbri stuff. I will buy Adaptibar as well.

Viz-Luv: Thanks for the advice!

didretake: Thank you. I agree that the investments now are always worth it long term.

Squiggle: Thanks for the advice here. I remember you advised me earlier this summer on another thread, and I really appreciated everything you said regarding each section. I am PMing you now. I am pumped up re what Adaptibar offers.

LockBox: I actually didn't complete the 100 questions both times, so that's one of my biggest MBE concerns: The stamina aspect of doing 100 questions in under three hours.

RCharter1978: Hey RCharter1978, I remember your advice from an earlier thread as well. Thanks again. I made serious mistakes in all three subjects, including not really utilizing all of Barbri's resources well (i.e., never got essays graded and returned, did not do either of the 100 question sessions). I was irresponsible this past summer. I was arrogant and I paid for it.

If anyone has a good study calendar they can share I'd love to take a look.

Thanks again everyone.

There are AdaptiBar codes floating around. I have one for $30 off too (they are all $30 now AFAIK) if you want.

I would actually recommend getting Emanuel's SIXTH edition if you can. It's newer (and thus costlier), but it reportedly has excellent Civ Pro questions written by the author. Of course, if you're going to get AdaptiBar, you may not need Emanuel's at all; however, Emanuel's is a very good starting point if you're on a budget. With about 600 questions in the book, you can just redo them if you run out.

As for study calendars, check out this chapter from my self-study guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sNw ... sp=sharing

On page 18, there's a link to some templates you can use for inspiration depending on how far you're from the next bar. If you have a lot of time, you can combine them as suggested.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:02 pm

I felt that adaptibar was well worth the investment, FWIW.

rhs67858

New

Postby rhs67858 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:07 pm

A male human, I am going to look at that calendar now. Thanks for that!

Thegrayman, Yeah I just purchased it a couple days ago. I am working through finishing my lecture handbook from Barbri before getting started with Adaptibar. Thanks!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�