Texas Bar Exam Question (Must take classes?)

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
CAstudent2036

New

Texas Bar Exam Question (Must take classes?)

Postby CAstudent2036 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:41 am

I am a CA law student at a T-10 school. Are there any classes tested on the Texas Bar Exam's essay portion that anyone would strongly recommend? I have largely avoided bar classes because the topics are not of interest of me but don't want to make studying from the bar unreasonably difficult. For context I believe I am a relatively quick learner and am in the middle of my class. Anyone take the exam and have no problem taking none of the classes/only some of the classes on the essay portion?

The tested subjects I have not taken are:

Oil and Gas (no class at my school)
Family Law
Trusts and Estates
Business Associations/Corporations

Thanks

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Texas Bar Exam Question (Must take classes?)

Postby BigZuck » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:03 am

CAstudent2036 wrote:I am a CA law student at a T-10 school. Are there any classes tested on the Texas Bar Exam's essay portion that anyone would strongly recommend? I have largely avoided bar classes because the topics are not of interest of me but don't want to make studying from the bar unreasonably difficult. For context I believe I am a relatively quick learner and am in the middle of my class. Anyone take the exam and have no problem taking none of the classes/only some of the classes on the essay portion?

Family Law
Trusts and Estates

Thanks

I'd probably take BA if that's an option for you. That would likely help on two of the essays. I think taking OAG would be helpful too but obviously not an option for you. You'll figure it out during bar prep. I never took the other two classes in law school but found them to be easy enough to learn during bar prep.

Learning9

New

Postby Learning9 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:40 am

I just passed TX bar. I went to a TX school but did not take Oil and gas, trusts/estates, family law or corporations/payment/agency/partnership. The only class out of the ones you listed that I took was Secured Transactions.

The best way for you to prepare for the essays (for all subjects) is to do every-single essay BLE has given since 2003. I finished the entire essay book that barbri gave and went to BLE website to do July 2015 and Feb. 2016. The only surprise essay on July 2016 was the bankruptcy essay. All the other 11 essay topics/issues have been asked at one point or another in the past. Make a separate word document, divide to subjects, and start going through all the past essays. You'll see a lot of repeats. Do NOT rely on the answers on BLE site because they are not always 100% accurate. I used Barbri answers as a guide.

And make a habit to answer essays questions in the way BLE likes. (1) State the issue. (2) State law. (3) Analyze. (4) Conclude.

pheerful22

New

Postby pheerful22 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:37 pm

CAstudent2036 wrote:I am a CA law student at a T-10 school. Are there any classes tested on the Texas Bar Exam's essay portion that anyone would strongly recommend? I have largely avoided bar classes because the topics are not of interest of me but don't want to make studying from the bar unreasonably difficult. For context I believe I am a relatively quick learner and am in the middle of my class. Anyone take the exam and have no problem taking none of the classes/only some of the classes on the essay portion?

Family Law
Trusts and Estates

Thanks

I went to law school outside of texas and graduated 7 years ago. I just took and passed the Texas bar. I highly recommend Themis. I was well prepared and did very well on the exam. Nothing on the bar exam was a surprise and I felt that I got great feedback from my personal grader. Themis covered all Texas specific subjects in depth and simplified them so I actually understood Oil and Gas, Consumer Law (FDTPA), etc.

Prana-9

New

Postby Prana-9 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:09 pm

Learning9 wrote:I just passed TX bar. I went to a TX school but did not take Oil and gas, trusts/estates, family law or corporations/payment/agency/partnership. The only class out of the ones you listed that I took was Secured Transactions.

The best way for you to prepare for the essays (for all subjects) is to do every-single essay BLE has given since 2003. I finished the entire essay book that barbri gave and went to BLE website to do July 2015 and Feb. 2016. The only surprise essay on July 2016 was the bankruptcy essay. All the other 11 essay topics/issues have been asked at one point or another in the past. Make a separate word document, divide to subjects, and start going through all the past essays. You'll see a lot of repeats. Do NOT rely on the answers on BLE site because they are not always 100% accurate. I used Barbri answers as a guide.

And make a habit to answer essays questions in the way BLE likes. (1) State the issue. (2) State law. (3) Analyze. (4) Conclude.

SuperPollito

New

Postby SuperPollito » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:18 am

Take what's interesting in law school - BarBri or whoever will give you the necessary 3 month crash course when the time comes.

longhornlaw

Bronze

Postby longhornlaw » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:09 am

Family Law
Trusts and Estates

Thanks

I went to law school in CA, passed the CA bar, then took Texas last February. I'd recommend not really bothering with any of the courses you mentioned above - they are all going to teach you state specific law which won't apply to the Texas Bar. It can't hurt to take them, as some of the laws overlap - especially in Business Associations/Corporations.

My best advice is to really hammer those subjects when you are doing your bar prep. Maybe change up the schedule some so that you hit the Texas specific sections once or twice extra until you have it. Best thing to do is to go over the previous essays from the Bar and do all of them.

The good news is that those are some of the easier topics to pick up on. Oil and Gas flows pretty easily with property concepts, and BA/C and Trusts and Estates are pretty simple all things considered. Family law has a lot of nuance and more material in my opinion, so you may want to review that more.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

joeyc328

Bronze

Postby joeyc328 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:13 pm

If your law school offers a course in remedies or first amendment (if not covered in your Conlaw course) I highly recommend taking them.

ggocat

Gold

Postby ggocat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:01 pm

CAstudent2036 wrote:Anyone take the exam and have no problem taking none of the classes/only some of the classes on the essay portion?
Family Law
Trusts and Estates

I took none of the classes you listed; passed from an out-of-state TTT.

Learning9 wrote:The best way for you to prepare for the essays (for all subjects) is to do every-single essay BLE has given since 2003.

Second this. The BLE even publishes suggested answers for many of those exams.

barman143

New

Postby barman143 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:47 pm

Family Law
Trusts and Estates

Thanks

None, as the above subjects are Texas specific. You won't learn the right rules, so just learn them the right way during your bar prep. Good luck!

Hmasterflex

New

Postby Hmasterflex » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:21 pm

Family Law
Trusts and Estates

Thanks

I was an out-of-state examiner for Texas in July and passed. I did not attend a T-10 school for whatever it's worth. Of the listed subjects, I would not worry about any of them if you truly have a distaste for the subject matter. If I had to choose one, it would be BA/BusOrgs like Zuck said. I found my BusOrg background minimally helpful, but it gave me some confidence going into studying as I faced a mountain of foreign topics.

If you truly are able to pickup and retain new information quickly, the subjects won't be too bad. OG, Family Law, Trusts (if you get this over Guardianship), and Wills and Estates are mostly memorization. The subjects that took me the longest to conceptualize were Commercial Paper and Secured Transactions.

Bro tip: Hammer down on real property and ucc (2,3, 6, 9), then just learn the Texas exceptions during bar studying. Those will get you 1/3 of the way home. If you decide to take BA, that'll account for another 2 essays and put you halfway home.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�