Advice on collecting old speeding tickets Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Advice on collecting old speeding tickets

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:24 am

Hey all, I just passed the bar, and have started working on my admission application. I've had my share of speeding tickets over the last ten years, and was wondering what the best approach to tracking them down would be. I'm fairly sure that every ticket I've gotten has been in NY or CT. Should I contact the DMVs of the particular counties where I got them? This would be difficult, as I don't know which county I got several tickets in. Should I contact the statewide DMV? Should I be contacting local town halls or police stations in the towns where I got them? Again, this would be pretty challenging. I know that there are a bunch of services out there that claim to be able to locate your entire traffic history for a fee. Has anyone used one of these? Are any of them reliable? Thanks a bunch for the advice. My apologies if this question has already been asked, please lock if it has.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Advice on collecting old speeding tickets

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:14 am

You should contact a local independent insurance agent (one who can write for multiple companies) and ask them to run some auto insurnace quotes for you and that you would like them to order a copy of your MVR (motor vehicle record).
The MVR should have all of your traffic citations, dates, and locations.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:01 pm

For god's sake don't contact an insurance agent. You can just contact the state DMV to get a copy of your MVR yourself. Most states have a link somewhere on the DMV page to instructions for this. There's usually a time limit (as in they don't keep stuff older than 7 years or whatever) but if the state doesn't have that info no one else is going to either. For anything older you can list that you believe you had x number of tickets between dates y and z, you paid them, but the states no longer have records of them so you can't provide further details.

estamosjuntos

New

Post by estamosjuntos » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Similarly, I received my driving record and it only had three of the sevenish tickets I've received in the past 7 years on it. A couple were out of state and I have no idea how I would even get the records of those if they weren't on my driving record. Any advice?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:24 pm

I would imagine you could try contacting the states where you got the tickets. If they can't give any info you do what I mentioned above - disclose that you have some number of tickets from whichever state, you don't remember the exact date or amount, you tried to find out more but couldn't, you paid them and have no outstanding tickets that you're aware of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:For god's sake don't contact an insurance agent. You can just contact the state DMV to get a copy of your MVR yourself. Most states have a link somewhere on the DMV page to instructions for this. There's usually a time limit (as in they don't keep stuff older than 7 years or whatever) but if the state doesn't have that info no one else is going to either. For anything older you can list that you believe you had x number of tickets between dates y and z, you paid them, but the states no longer have records of them so you can't provide further details.
So, why shouldn't they contact an insurnace agent? The insurnace agent can run the MVR without having to visit multiple state's DMV websites and the MVR an insurance agent has access to typically contains all citations and records for 10-12 years. If you are getting insurnace quotes, they may not even charge you.

While I am not going to go as far as saying your response was incorrect or misinformed, it didn't exactly say why one shouldn't speak to an insurnace agent.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:10 pm

Because it's overly complicated and makes no sense to get auto insurance quotes you don't need, and take up the agent's time doing something you can just as easily do yourself, especially when you have no intention of getting a policy through them.

Insurance is not always the answer.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Because it's overly complicated and makes no sense to get auto insurance quotes you don't need, and take up the agent's time doing something you can just as easily do yourself, especially when you have no intention of getting a policy through them.

I disagree, respectfully.

What if you found better insurance at a lower cost while doing this?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Because it's overly complicated and makes no sense to get auto insurance quotes you don't need, and take up the agent's time doing something you can just as easily do yourself, especially when you have no intention of getting a policy through them.

So much this. Wasting someone's time because you don't want to spend a few bucks is just an asshole move.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:16 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

So much this. Wasting someone's time because you don't want to spend a few bucks is just an asshole move.
What if the agent was able to make a sale, or a contact or the future? You are probably the only person I know who would be such a gigantic asshole about the entire thing to the point the agent would feel like his or her time was wasted.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Oh for god's sake stop. Stop talking about insurance when the topic isn't insurance.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:43 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

What if the agent was able to make a sale, or a contact or the future? You are probably the only person I know who would be such a gigantic asshole about the entire thing to the point the agent would feel like his or her time was wasted.
Yes, and what if an alien came from outer space and actually wanted to purchase insurance? And what if that alien was from Jupiter? And what if they wanted liability only coverage?

The point in calling is not to purchase insurance but to get a free MVR. It is an asshole move to waste someone's time when your intention is to get a free MVR.

I realize that you're self centered enough to think that the world revolves around you and that people must get some joy in dealing with you. You are wrong, no one likes you and no one likes your stupid ass stories. When you talk to people they routinely try to escape conversation with you by encouraging you to share your stories online. The only reason a person would want to deal with you is to make a profit. You are just the sort of asshat to waste someone's time and assume that because they haven't cursed you out that they felt blessed by your presence

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:30 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Yes, and what if an alien came from outer space and actually wanted to purchase insurance? And what if that alien was from Jupiter? And what if they wanted liability only coverage?

The point in calling is not to purchase insurance but to get a free MVR. It is an asshole move to waste someone's time when your intention is to get a free MVR.

I realize that you're self centered enough to think that the world revolves around you and that people must get some joy in dealing with you. You are wrong, no one likes you and no one likes your stupid ass stories. When you talk to people they routinely try to escape conversation with you by encouraging you to share your stories online. The only reason a person would want to deal with you is to make a profit. You are just the sort of asshat to waste someone's time and assume that because they haven't cursed you out that they felt blessed by your presence
You are a joke. A god damn joke.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:52 am

kellyfrost wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

You are a joke. A god damn joke.
If anyone is damned, its the person unlucky enough to be stuck in a conversation with you.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:14 am

Don't you typically have to submit your character and fitness stuff before you take the bar?

Anyway, I'm gathering all my stuff now, and all the states I've had licenses in had an option on the DMV website to get a copy of my driving record. I think it was like $5 a pop or something. Or you could just use American National Insurance, I guess.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 am

I feel bad for the OP. The OP came here seeking help or advice to a question. I reached out to OP to offer a solution, possibly one that OP hadn't even thought about. Unfortunately, since my first post, this thread has been derailed by rcharter.

I have debated doing this for some time, but at the suggestion of several other TLS users, I have decided to make rcharter a "foe." According to the other users who have used the "foe" option on rcharter, this essentially blocks this user and you can not see any of her postings. One user said to me, "Blocking her was like installing a water filter on TLS. The filter doesn't rid TLS from all of the garbage, but the biggest contributor of crap is filtered out!"

Time to install my filter.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:27 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Don't you typically have to submit your character and fitness stuff before you take the bar?

Anyway, I'm gathering all my stuff now, and all the states I've had licenses in had an option on the DMV website to get a copy of my driving record. I think it was like $5 a pop or something. Or you could just use American National Insurance, I guess.
Different states handle it differently, NY being the big one that has you do it after.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:28 am

kellyfrost wrote:I feel bad for the OP. The OP came here seeking help or advice to a question. I reached out to OP to offer a solution, possibly one that OP hadn't even thought about. Unfortunately, since my first post, this thread has been derailed by rcharter.

I have debated doing this for some time, but at the suggestion of several other TLS users, I have decided to make rcharter a "foe." According to the other users who have used the "foe" option on rcharter, this essentially blocks this user and you can not see any of her postings. One user said to me, "Blocking her was like installing a water filter on TLS. The filter doesn't rid TLS from all of the garbage, but the biggest contributor of crap is filtered out!"

You should delete your account

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:29 am

kellyfrost wrote:I feel bad for the OP. The OP came here seeking help or advice to a question. I reached out to OP to offer a solution, possibly one that OP hadn't even thought about. Unfortunately, since my first post, this thread has been derailed by rcharter.

Stop discussing this pointless feud. You are derailing just as hard. No one cares who you foe. Further posting about this will get you banned. (rcharter, that goes for you too.)

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:55 am

Nebby wrote:

You should delete your account
I thought about it, but I enjoy TLS too much.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:08 am

I used to be able to look up stuff like this on lexisnexis when I had my law school account. I think using the DMVs is the TCR.

Interesting approach by KellyFrost though. Always thinking outside the box.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”