Back to Back Bar Exams?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
overthis89

New

Back to Back Bar Exams?

Postby overthis89 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:29 pm

I took the NY Bar exam a total of 5 times - 4 times I failed by 1 point & I FINALLY passed this one!

I'm planning on taking the FL Bar and I'm torn as to whether I should jump right into it and do it in February or wait a year and do it in February 2018? Any thoughts from other people here?? Give yourself a mental break away from studying (finally!) or just tread right along and get it done?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Back to Back Bar Exams?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:34 pm

overthis89 wrote:I took the NY Bar exam a total of 5 times - 4 times I failed by 1 point & I FINALLY passed this one!

I'm planning on taking the FL Bar and I'm torn as to whether I should jump right into it and do it in February or wait a year and do it in February 2018? Any thoughts from other people here?? Give yourself a mental break away from studying (finally!) or just tread right along and get it done?

You failed all four times by one point?

And why would you do this?

I have so many questions. And no answers.

Prana-9

New

Postby Prana-9 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:40 pm

overthis89 wrote:I took the NY Bar exam a total of 5 times - 4 times I failed by 1 point & I FINALLY passed this one!

Given that you took the bar exam five times already, give yourself a mental break for the rest of your life, don't take another bar exam again, and focus on securing a job in NY.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:49 pm

That's a load of resilience. Congrats!

ClubberLang

Bronze

Postby ClubberLang » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:24 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:

You failed all four times by one point?

And why would you do this?

I have so many questions. And no answers.

What he said...

Shouldn't you look for a job? If you don't want to work in NY, why did you take the bar 5 times? Legitimately perplexed here, please follow up.

overthis89

New

Postby overthis89 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Sorry, let me clarify. I took the bar exam 5 times - 4 times I failed by 1 point - had 664/665.

I have a job - a very good one at that and I'm not looking to switch jobs at the moment. I lucked out immensely so I'm not worried about employment. I've been wanting to take the FL bar because my whole family lives there - I'm simply torn on whether to do it now or wait for it. Thoughts?

For those that congratulated - THANK YOU! Best feeling in the world!!!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Damn, you failed all 4 times by a point? That is some bad luck. But congrats on finally passing.

As others have said, if you are not looking to move right away, take a breather and wait until July to do Florida. Are you in a JD advantage job right now? If not, it might be hard to transition to an atty position in Florida anyways

AspiringCALawyer

New

Postby AspiringCALawyer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:Damn, you failed all 4 times by a point? That is some bad luck. But congrats on finally passing.

As others have said, if you are not looking to move right away, take a breather and wait until July to do Florida. Are you in a JD advantage job right now? If not, it might be hard to transition to an atty position in Florida anyways

I've been licensed in NY for 16 years and had a longstanding goal to take and conquer the CA bar. I chickened out over the years, especially since I was working in-house in NY and most recently IL. This year I finally took the plunge after accepting a package from my former company in order to realize the dream of moving back to CA (lived there before law school). My brain was fried with having to take back-to-back attorney CA bar exams (Feb 2016 (failed by 60 points) and July 2016 (waiting for next month's results)) and being able to study full-time. If I had to do MBE again, I really would've gone crazy. If I don't pass this time, I will be forced to move onto Plan B for financial reasons (apply for in-house counsel license in CA after hopefully getting another in-house gig there) or Plan C (move back to NY).

I can't imagine studying for a bar exam for a state I have no intention of moving to any time soon (if ever), especially with working full-time. After taking the NY Bar 5 times (I see the UBE format did not eliminate the brutal NY multiple choice exam), I would vote for taking a break. You can always take it in the future (i.e., beyond July), given that FL (like CA) doesn't have reciprocity.

A BIG BOOYAH ON FINALLY PASSING!

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Congrats.

I have family in Florida and the Florida bar sucks. I just passed NY and don't plan on taking FL until I need to work there, if it ever happens.

With any luck they will go UBE at some point, although I am pessimistic.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Postby hockeyman969 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:33 am

Congrats on the pass, it seems like the black cloud finally blew away and very far away...only explanation for 1 point the first 4 times.

I passed the UBE and I am taking Florida, but I decided I'm going to take it easy, and study for an extended period on BLL to give a chance so I took NY in July 2016 and I'm gonna take Florida in July 2017.

Definitely give one administration a pass.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Postby whitecollar23 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:37 pm

You should also consider that Florida might become a UBE state in a few years. With NY taking the plunge, there's no telling what the domino effect will be for the rest of the country.

wwwcol

Bronze

Postby wwwcol » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:49 am

whitecollar23 wrote:You should also consider that Florida might become a UBE state in a few years. With NY taking the plunge, there's no telling what the domino effect will be for the rest of the country.

A Fl bar board member recently floated the idea of *studying* UBE adoption and was thoroughly shot down by the membership.

I suppose anything's possible, but there's no reason to think FL will switch to UBE. Unlike NY, FL wants to discourage lots of people from causally trying to practice law there - along with CA, it's probably the most protectionist bar in the country.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�