February 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
TXforeignlawyer

New

Re: February 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm still getting a bunch of barbri mbe questions wrong... perhaps I will just focus solely on reading mbe questions and answers tomorrow

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 am

TXforeignlawyer wrote:I've very behind on Consumer and Bankruptcy. Any last minute tips on what to focus on on those two? It will be a pure cramming approach for those?

Yikes, it's close now. I hope everyone is doing okay and trying to keep calm!

Recycling another post from the past:

BVest wrote:BANKRUPTCY:
Know that there's an automatic stay. Know that a creditor can get the stay lifted by the bankruptcy court. Basically everything the BLE wants you to know about the automatic stay and getting it lifted is summarized here.

For DTPA, I relied mainly on these flash cards some prior fellow traveler produced.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feb17TBE

New

Postby Feb17TBE » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:15 am

TXforeignlawyer wrote:I'm still getting a bunch of barbri mbe questions wrong... perhaps I will just focus solely on reading mbe questions and answers tomorrow

Doing Adaptibar has taught me that generally, MBE tests some very specific rules in limited ways. You have to not only know the rule, you also have to know how the question is set up to test you that particular rule. That's why it's such a bitch. In your reviews, I would suggest you pull out the questions you're getting wrong and look at why you're getting them wrong. Think about what made you pick the answer choice you picked and compare with the correct explanation. Also see if it's a particular subject you always get wrong. For me, I always get the contracts questions wrong, all that UCC buyer seller crap. If you purely guessed, then you need to know the rule down cold. Writing it out helps for me.

Mckay

New

Postby Mckay » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Can anyone tell me what book the Simulated Written Exam is in for Barbri? For the life of me, I cannot find it. Thanks in advance!! :D

LSBound2017

New

Postby LSBound2017 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Mckay wrote:Can anyone tell me what book the Simulated Written Exam is in for Barbri? For the life of me, I cannot find it. Thanks in advance!! :D

It's in the lecture handout book (near the back of the book). I had trouble finding it, too!

Mckay

New

Postby Mckay » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:16 pm

LSBound2017 wrote:
Mckay wrote:Can anyone tell me what book the Simulated Written Exam is in for Barbri? For the life of me, I cannot find it. Thanks in advance!! :D

It's in the lecture handout book (near the back of the book). I had trouble finding it, too!

Thank you so much!! Do you know where the answers are?

LSBound2017

New

Postby LSBound2017 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Mckay wrote:
LSBound2017 wrote:

No problem! I had to email them to ask. Kind of a weird place to put it.

The answers are in a PDF under the Information/Help tab online near the bottom of the page under "Simulated Exam (MBE and Written) Information."

Mckay

New

Postby Mckay » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:34 pm

LSBound2017 wrote:
Mckay wrote:
LSBound2017 wrote:

The answers are in a PDF under the Information/Help tab online near the bottom of the page under "Simulated Exam (MBE and Written) Information."

Thanks AGAIN! I emailed Barbri and haven't heard. You were much faster! Thanks so much and good luck to you!

LSBound2017

New

Postby LSBound2017 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Mckay wrote:
LSBound2017 wrote:
Mckay wrote:
LSBound2017 wrote:

Thanks AGAIN! I emailed Barbri and haven't heard. You were much faster! Thanks so much and good luck to you!

You're welcome! Good luck to you, too!!

vandyclark

New

Postby vandyclark » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:46 pm

TXforeignlawyer wrote:I've very behind on Consumer and Bankruptcy. Any last minute tips on what to focus on on those two? It will be a pure cramming approach for those?

Yes- THIS. Anyone?

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Postby DueProcessDoWheelies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:56 pm

For Consumer, here's some last minute bullshitting advice:

Figure out who the "bad guy" is (it's easy). Then pick out every "bad thing" he did to the consumer, like make a material misrepresentation, or harass her with phone calls at 3am, etc.

Every one of those bad things the bad guy did is a violation of the DTPA, TDCA, etc.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! I decided to take this evening off and try to relax. Plan to leave Fort Worth mid morning so figured a night off might do some good.

Hopefully the drive down will be okay. I don't drive long distance here much so kinda nervous!

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Sorry I don't know how to put a message into a new post but for simulated I used the simulated book, maybe half an inch thick. Although looks like you half your answer and sorry if I'm confusing things !

LSBound2017

New

Postby LSBound2017 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:35 pm

What time is everyone getting to Palmer on Tuesday?

Feb17TBE

New

Postby Feb17TBE » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 pm

LSBound2017 wrote:What time is everyone getting to Palmer on Tuesday?

I plan to be there by 7AM.

favrefire4

Silver

Postby favrefire4 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 pm

It's obviously a totally personal choice. It appears instructions begin at 8:30. Having gone through this once before, I don't really enjoy standing around waiting and feeling all of the nervous energy in the air from all of the test-takers, including my own. I see no reason to get there prior to 7:30-7:45. But, do what you're most comfortable with.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Do you know if what they mean by instructions begin, if that's when you're actually seated in your chair, ready with pen and paper. I think I'll aim to get there for 7:30. Now I don't have my car as had to get towed earlier on my way to Austin, now waiting for a flight down at dfw!

texas1100

New

Postby texas1100 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:02 pm

DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:

For Consumer, here's some last minute bullshitting advice:

Figure out who the "bad guy" is (it's easy). Then pick out every "bad thing" he did to the consumer, like make a material misrepresentation, or harass her with phone calls at 3am, etc.

Every one of those bad things the bad guy did is a violation of the DTPA, TDCA, etc.

Nail down the remedies that'll you'll word vomit for literally every single instance for consumer essays.. that's easy points

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:10 pm

"Instructions begin" means seated and ready, but if there's a line to get into the secure area (which there tends to be) they won't start instructions until the line clears.

I found arrival by 7:30/7:45 to be comfortable. I had time in case I had car trouble or the like but I wasn't there ridiculously early.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:14 am

ArrIved this evening at my hotel, Embassy on South Congress. Plan to look at flash cards tomorrow and have a walk over to Palmer. Didn't get any studying today due to a break down on the drive to Austin. Got towed and luckily managed to get a flight down today.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:15 am

I'm going to plan on 7:30 ish then. I don't like the idea of being too early and all that nervous energy, it will be bad enough. I hope I can eat something at breakfast cos my stomach growled all thru the simulated mbe to the point where I had to go for a toilet break as I felt like I was disrupting the girl next to me!!

favrefire4

Silver

Postby favrefire4 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:21 am

I don't see why this would be the case, but, just to make sure, we don't have to print our admission ticket in color do we? I can't imagine this would be necessary, but, let me know!!

Thanks!

Mckay

New

Postby Mckay » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:30 am

Checked out where Palmer is. Anyone know where back up parking is in case it is needed? I do not know the area but did not see other parking garages right there. I am sure there are some. Thanks!

Mckay

New

Postby Mckay » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 am

favrefire4 wrote:I don't see why this would be the case, but, just to make sure, we don't have to print our admission ticket in color do we? I can't imagine this would be necessary, but, let me know!!

Thanks!

Look at the ble site. For some reason, I remember reading somewhere that it should be in color but I do not remember for sure. Anyone else remember this or did I dream it?

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am

Mckay wrote:Checked out where Palmer is. Anyone know where back up parking is in case it is needed? I do not know the area but did not see other parking garages right there. I am sure there are some. Thanks!

If you have to park elsewhere, I would suggest trying the Hyatt first, though at that hour in the morning I don't know if they'd be full of overnight guests or not. Their lot is like $25/day. Second attempt would be City Hall Parking Garage, which is just across the Lavaca/Guadalupe bridge from Palmer.

City hall parking garage:

https://www.austintexas.gov/cityhallparking
Walking directions

Hyatt:
Walking directions

(If you happen to see two closer garages, they do exist, however they are not public during the business day. If you happen to learn of these closer garages from the Palmer website, take note of the text that indicates same.)
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?