February 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
BVest

Platinum

Re: February 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Postby BVest » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Similar questions from the past.

BVest wrote:
In regards to the secured/non secured area - what's the situation with bringing backpacks and things like that? Say you bring your backpack down with your lunch and everything in it, obviously you can't bring that into the secured area. Is there a place inside the center that we can leave our bags and not have to worry about them getting taken?

The facility is basically one giant exhibit hall with a 10-12 foot wide hallway that surrounds it. (See Floor Plan.) In July we were in hall 1 with nothing happening in hall 2. For February, with no other locations for the exam, there will be about 70-80% more people than in July, so I expect you will be in both hall 1 and 2 (there's a giant airwall between the two that will probably be open).

In July, they designated the southwest corner (upper left on the floor plan) of the hallway as the drop zone for personal belongings. People left their lunches, backpacks, and some study materials there and I didn't hear of any issues arising from that. I don't know what level of security there actually is in the non-secured area (I think basically none), but the Bar Exam will be the only event going on in Palmer Auditorium, and the site is far removed from the street on BOTH SIDES and does not attract passers through. It would seem that no one taking the bar is going to screw with your stuff because they wouldn't want to screw everything up over something like that. I mean, I wouldn't leave my cell phone there or anything else of value -- lock those in your car.

BVest wrote:
Anyone know what the drill is on lunch? Are we supposed to rush to a nearby restaurant, or do people normally just leave something in their car?

Also, for studying during the 1-hour break on the MPT/PE day (reviewing outlines/sample essays during the lunch break), are we allowed to do that on our laptops, or will our laptops be stuck in the exam software?

I brought lunch and left it in the car. There's also a drop zone (in Austin at least) outside the secure area. It's completely honor system, so don't leave anything of value there, but it's sufficient for leaving notes/lunch. A lot of people testing at Austin walked to Whataburger, McDonalds, or the food trailers (Short Bus Subs, etc). across the street as well. Some people who drove somewhere for lunch too.

---

There's no lunch break between MPT and PE. They pause just long enough to collect all the MPT materials and distribute the PE materials. There will be no opportunity to study during this time as (1) You will not be allowed to leave your seat, and (2) You may not have anything open on your computer except examsoft at any time in the secure area.

On essay day, you cannot take your laptop out of the room during lunch, so don't count on that for studying.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:08 pm

One more post from the past:

BVest wrote:Okay gang, you're one week out. In studying, you know by now where you're in good shape and you know what you still have to work on. This thread is not about that. This is about the other shit you need to do between now and then.

(1) Go the fuck to sleep. No more studying until 3 AM, even if you feel like you're more productive at that time. Guess what time the bar examiners don't let you take the exam: 3 AM. So if you're still sleepy at 6:30 or 7 AM when you need to be getting out of bed on test days, you're going to have trouble focusing. Fix your schedule now.

(2) Plan your route. This consists of two things: (i) follow the route to the exam location at any point in the day; and (ii) look up the route on google maps putting in your desired arrival time so you have some sense of how long the route will take during morning traffic.

(3) Plan your meals. Don't waste any brain power during the week of the exam trying to decide what to eat. Decide now what you're going to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus snacks, on exam days and be sure you have it in your house. And make your breakfast and lunch the night before each day.

(4) Plan your attire. I'm serious. Set your clothes out in two (or three if you're in a three-day state) stacks so that you can just go to the Tuesday stack that morning without any thought whatsoever.

(5) Plan your day. Make a separate list of all the things you need to take with you for each day. This includes your test supplies (pencils/pens), laptop, admission ticket, ID, and food. Put each list under that day's pile of clothes, so when you get fully dressed your list is staring back at you.

(6) Schedule your sleep. Work backwards from what time you have to wake up to get to the exam center in a timely fashion. Allow no less than 7-8 hours in bed, so even if you have a hard time falling asleep you should get a decent rest. At this point rest has a much higher marginal value than sleep. If this means you have to be in bed by 11, then go to bed at 11.

(7) Don't Panic. Panic is counterproductive. Even if you're completely stumped, just start typing something that makes sense and move on. And always watch the clock.

And here's what my pre-set daily stacks looked like:

BVest wrote:On Sunday or Monday, set up your stuff to reduce the amount of non-bar thinking you'll have to do on test days. I could go into detail but it's easier to just show you:

Feb17TBE

New

Postby Feb17TBE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:34 pm

So TRUE about going the fuck to sleep. I am a night owl and for the past weeks, I've been up until 3-4, sometimes even 5 am. I'm having a hard time staying awake during the day time. And having a bitch of a time waking up in the morning.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks, some really helpful advice on here! Really like the idea of setting out stacks for each day. The parking situ is concerning me somewhat. I guess the idea is to get there early, maybe an hour before we are due to start? Otherwise, does anyone know of alternative parking should the Palmer lot fill up?

I'm staying at the Embassy just a short walk but not actually sure of it it walkable/sidewalks on the way.

favrefire4

Silver

Postby favrefire4 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm also not from the Austin area nor am I familiar with it. I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency on Barton Springs. It appears on the map to be super close but I'd love if someone could let me know whether that distance is actually walkable. Thank you!!!

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 pm

If you have to park elsewhere, I would suggest trying the Hyatt first, though at that hour in the morning I don't know if they'd be full of overnight guests or not. Their lot is like $25/day. Second attempt would be City Hall Parking Garage, which is just across the Lavaca/Guadalupe bridge from Palmer.

City hall parking garage:

https://www.austintexas.gov/cityhallparking
Walking directions

Hyatt:
Walking directions
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcsmith

New

Postby jcsmith » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 pm

BVest wrote:If you have to park elsewhere, I would suggest trying the Hyatt first, though at that hour in the morning I don't know if they'd be full of overnight guests or not. Their lot is like $25/day. Second attempt would be City Hall Parking Garage, which is just across the Lavaca/Guadalupe bridge from Palmer.

City hall parking garage:

https://www.austintexas.gov/cityhallparking
Walking directions

Hyatt:
Walking directions

I noticed (and I've been told) that there is a parking garage connected to the center.

Also look at this:http://www.palmereventscenter.com/directions/parking_2.htm

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 pm

jcsmith wrote:I noticed (and I've been told) that there is a parking garage connected to the center.

There is but it only has 900 spots. Last year 1433 people took the Feb exam.

jcsmith

New

Postby jcsmith » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 pm

BVest wrote:
jcsmith wrote:I noticed (and I've been told) that there is a parking garage connected to the center.

There is but it only have 900 spots. Last year 1433 people took the Feb exam.

Oh lord....Well maybe a lot of people will just assume that there won't be parking in there.

chuckfin0808

New

Postby chuckfin0808 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:49 am

TXforeignlawyer wrote:Thanks, some really helpful advice on here! Really like the idea of setting out stacks for each day. The parking situ is concerning me somewhat. I guess the idea is to get there early, maybe an hour before we are due to start? Otherwise, does anyone know of alternative parking should the Palmer lot fill up?

I'm staying at the Embassy just a short walk but not actually sure of it it walkable/sidewalks on the way.

I suggest testing out your driving/walking plan the day before. Whether you are walking or driving, you should plan on getting to the center at least an hour earlier than doors opening. There will be a ridiculously long line to get into the Palmer. Not to mention, it will be good to have some cushion space to take a few breaths, and go to the bathroom.

We got to the center (drove) around 7:00 - 7:15 each day. We were able to find parking easily and check in with enough time to collect our thoughts and focus. The worst part about parking won't be finding a spot, it will be the line to get out of the parking garage after the test day. Be prepared to wait 30 min to an hour to get out.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:07 pm

chuckfin0808 wrote:the worst part about parking won't be finding a spot, it will be the line to get out of the parking garage after the test day. Be prepared to wait 30 min to an hour to get out.

Last February, if I'm not mistaken, they collected parking fees on the way out rather than on the way in. That's a big mistake (as I predicted in the Feb 2016 Texas exam thread -- it's the same reason subways have two escalators out of the station but only one in; people arrive at different times, but virtually everyone leaves at the exact same time). Hopefully they've figured out that was a big mistake and aren't doing that this year.

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Postby DueProcessDoWheelies » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Definitely walk or use Austin's version of uber if you can. It's so nice not having to worry about parking and getting inside in time. It was also kind of relaxing and mind-clearing walking from the hotel across the river to Palmer.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 pm

DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:Austin's version of uber

For those of you who don't know, we have a number of ride-hailing companies in town, but not uber and lyft because they took their ball and went home after learning that $8 million doesn't necessarily buy the affections a city's electorate (in actuality, they probably spent too much and caused their own loss):

Fasten (this seems to be the best, or at least most well-liked)
Fare
Rideshare Austin
Wingz
Instaride

Also if you're at a full-service style hotel, there are usually a couple cabs out front waiting for fares.

And BCycle, has a station out in front of Palmer and has stations all around the downtown area, if you want to bike (looking at the weather, that might not be the best idea though).

mavshoosiers

New

Postby mavshoosiers » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 am

how much have yall been using the conviser mini review (for barbri peeps), just curious

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks vbest. I'm not familiar with Austin at all. your posts are very helpful! I will be driving down on Sunday.

I plan to do a test walk there when I arrive Sunday. I looked at the Hyatt Regency and it's also in walking distance.

I've been using the mini conviser only this week. I haven't even watched the lectures on consumer, bankruptcy or federal tax. I don't think I can spend the time watching the lectures on those subjects now.

I only opened the mpt book today for the first time. My main worry is the mbe especially after doing those Barbri mbe refresher questions. I found them so hard. I was only getting I out of 4 right.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:00 am

Due process - I want to walk it but is the entrance to Palmer obvious/easy to find? I read that it was quite far removed from the street.

Feb17TBE

New

Postby Feb17TBE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:32 am

TXforeignlawyer wrote:Due process - I want to walk it but is the entrance to Palmer obvious/easy to find? I read that it was quite far removed from the street.

I'm gonna jump in and answer for you here. The entrance to Palmer is super easy to find. If you do a quick google map/google earth search, you'll see the center is just one huge rectangle-ish building with an adjacent parking building. You come down from the parking building (stairs) and literally walk around the center to get to the entrance. Or simpler yet, follow the hundreds of people walking towards the same building with a ziplock back in their hands and a I-might-just-vomit look in their faces. Or even simpler still, there will be a huge line outside the hall of people waiting to get in. My point is, relax. As long as you get there at least 1 hour before the doors open, you will be just fine. I believe the doors will open at 7am (or 7:30am?) Hence, the super long line outside.

On a separate note, what do y'all think - trusts or guardianship this time? Speaking of things to freak out about . . . Also, I super-hate family law. Has there been a time when they just gave both CP questions? (wishful thinking?)

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:01 am

Feb17TBE wrote:On a separate note, what do y'all think - trusts or guardianship this time? Speaking of things to freak out about . . . Also, I super-hate family law. Has there been a time when they just gave both CP questions? (wishful thinking?)

I would guess Trust. And because they went full bankruptcy last exam for Family, I'd guess a vanilla CP and a SAPCR/modification.

Feb17TBE

New

Postby Feb17TBE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:00 am

BVest wrote:
Feb17TBE wrote:On a separate note, what do y'all think - trusts or guardianship this time? Speaking of things to freak out about . . . Also, I super-hate family law. Has there been a time when they just gave both CP questions? (wishful thinking?)

I would guess Trust. And because they went full bankruptcy last exam for Family, I'd guess a vanilla CP and a SAPCR/modification.

That's a reasonable prediction, I think. Case in point, mechanic's lien for RP in July 15 and homestead for Feb 16. They did LL-Tenant for last time, my guess is a mortgage question this time.

po1

New

Postby po1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Feb17TBE wrote:
BVest wrote:

That's a reasonable prediction, I think. Case in point, mechanic's lien for RP in July 15 and homestead for Feb 16. They did LL-Tenant for last time, my guess is a mortgage question this time.

Here are my guesses for the TX essays:
1) Consumer law is likely to be DTPA or TDCA or a mix. Insurance is not likely as they tested it in Feb 2016 and they seem to test it once every few years. 2) Family law will likely be a straight forward topic as July 2016 had a bankruptcy family law question. 3)Trusts is likely to be tested as July 2016 was guardianship. If it is a guardianship question, it's likely to be about guardianship of a minor as July was guardianship of an adult. 4) Wills and estate I am not sure about if someone would like to take a guess 5) Oil and gas should be a somewhat straight forward question as they tested a question that was literally half a page on the last page of the themis outline 6) Secured Transaction is high likely, the last time they didn't test it was in Feb 2015 and instead tested Texas UCC Article 2. It's been tested every year (besides Feb 15) since 2009 I think. 7) Business Associations is likely to be about general partnerships and partnership liabilities. A corporations question is long overdue. Types of business entities is not likely as it was tested in July 16 but who knows.

vandyclark

New

Postby vandyclark » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:31 pm

For people looking for rides, the hotel I've been staying in had the following discount codes:

Ride Austin: $10 off your first ride, use promo code WYNDHAM

Fasten: $5 off your first ride, Promo code HI0095

pitted

New

Postby pitted » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 pm

I am hoping the Texas real property question will be easier. To this day, I haven't talked with one person from July 2016 that knew how to answer that question well. Unfortunately, the Trust/Guardianship is a major toss up this exam (fingers crossed guardianship). I have a hunch that the curveball this exam will be a UCC question. But who knows, even if it is UCC, from the previous UCC questions, the model answers provided by the BLE were garbage. After reviewing most of the previous exams and answers, there are a lot of model answers that are terrible. The most notable were for commercial paper/UCC questions.

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Postby DueProcessDoWheelies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:45 pm

If there's one thing I've learned about essays it's that they are pretty much impossible to predict. Last February I expected a guardianship question, it was trusts. The two BA questions were both on agency and I studied corporations really hard. You just never know.

Also, Consumer Law is the easiest essay question. All the fact patters are pretty much the same and if it involves the DTPA, the obvious "bad guy" in the facts violated multiple provisions of the DTPA.

Feb17TBE

New

Postby Feb17TBE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 pm

po1 wrote:
Feb17TBE wrote:
BVest wrote:

Here are my guesses for the TX essays:
1) Consumer law is likely to be DTPA or TDCA or a mix. Insurance is not likely as they tested it in Feb 2016 and they seem to test it once every few years. 2) Family law will likely be a straight forward topic as July 2016 had a bankruptcy family law question. 3)Trusts is likely to be tested as July 2016 was guardianship. If it is a guardianship question, it's likely to be about guardianship of a minor as July was guardianship of an adult. 4) Wills and estate I am not sure about if someone would like to take a guess 5) Oil and gas should be a somewhat straight forward question as they tested a question that was literally half a page on the last page of the themis outline 6) Secured Transaction is high likely, the last time they didn't test it was in Feb 2015 and instead tested Texas UCC Article 2. It's been tested every year (besides Feb 15) since 2009 I think. 7) Business Associations is likely to be about general partnerships and partnership liabilities. A corporations question is long overdue. Types of business entities is not likely as it was tested in July 16 but who knows.

I think a pure corporations is long overdue too. It seems like pretty much from Jul 07 - Jul 12 they did one Partnerships and one Corp. each. Then from Feb13- Jul16, it's been all partnerships, except for Feb15. I wish I knew how to add an image on here. I added B.A. to BVest's super cool spreadsheet but don't know how to post it here.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Postby TXforeignlawyer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 pm

I've very behind on Consumer and Bankruptcy. Any last minute tips on what to focus on on those two? It will be a pure cramming approach for those?

Yikes, it's close now. I hope everyone is doing okay and trying to keep calm!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?