February 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
vandyclark

New

Re: February 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by vandyclark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Is there a way we can share outlines? I'm behind on lectures & it would be helpful...

vandyclark

New

Post by vandyclark » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:53 am

Hottexas wrote:Is there anyone here who made a condensed outline of the essays and would like to share that with us , please? Thanks in advance.

Is there a way to share outlines? I'm behind on lectures & would rather focus on practice questions than playing catch-up..

Mckay

New

Post by Mckay » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:53 pm

The materials say to contact your processor if you did not get your admission ticket by February 1. I contacted my processor and she just let me know that they have not been delivered yet and that it will be sometime next week. Posting in case anyone else was concerned. Good luck everyone! :)

favrefire4

Silver

Post by favrefire4 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks mckay! Much appreciated update.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Some advice from last year:
BVest wrote:Unsolicited rambling advice:

Texas Procedure: Sure it's only 10% of the test, but it's easy points; don't leave them on the table. (And it's the equivalent of 3 essay questions, so don't discount it too much). There is a very limited scope of questions they can ask. Most have been asked. Do the past twenty procedure exams and then review them now and then (especially the Monday before the bar. If you do this, you'll easily know the answer to 18 or 19 of the 20 questions they ask for both Crim and Civ pro.

Texas essays: You can't know it all; pick the subjects you know the least about (for me: Family Law, Wills/Trusts/Estates, and Consumer Law) and pick 2-3 broad topics within those subjects that you actually have to know based off what the Barbri/Themis profs identify as most tested, or just what you recognize from the past exams. Generally ignore the rest of the subject. If a question on the exam is outside those topics, well that's the luck of the draw, but a lot of people are in the same boat you are so just take 5-10 seconds to relax and not panic, make up the law,* and answer the question using that.

Always watch the clock. When they start you on essays, mark down your targets. If you go over any of your marks by more 5 minutes, stop working on that question and go on to the next one. A friend of mine, spent too long on the question where she didn't know the law and had 2 questions left when they called 15 minute warning. As you can imagine, her answer to one question was short and terrible and her answer to another question was entirely blank, and those were questions for which she knew the answers. She failed by <10 points. If she had been rigorous about her schedule, she would have had at least 40 more minutes for those last two questions and that would have been the difference maker.

Oh, and do as many old questions as you can, even if this sometimes means just reading the question, thinking about your answer for two minutes, and then reading the sample answer. The same issues (with practically identical fact patterns) come up again and again.

Speaking of Consumer Law, these flashcards (made by some fellow traveller to whom I owe a debt) contain almost everything you need to know: https://quizlet.com/87434023/flashcards

And don't study any fed income tax. I know the BLE lists it as a crossover, but it's never been on there and if it were, it would be like 1/5th of a single family law question, or about 0.66% of your overall exam grade. [e: I understand they finally put it on there last year]

* How to make up the law: (1) Decide what the fairest result would be. (2) Make up a general rule that sounds good. If your general rule would result in the case coming out in favor of your pre-determined fairest result (3a) make up an exception to the general rule that will not be applicable in this case. If your general rule would prevent your fairest result, (3b) make up an exception to the general rule that applies to these facts. (4) State and apply your made up law and exception to the case in proper CRAC/CIRAC form.

Being cool about making up the law is critical. There will be at least one question where you have no clue -- see July 2015 question 9 in the afternoon portion of the essays.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gully1990

New

Post by Gully1990 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:43 pm

vandyclark wrote:No Uber or Lyft in Austin anymore- or there's supposed to be.

Gully1990 wrote:
TXforeignlawyer wrote:Thanks Gully. Anyone know of the practicalities/admin stuff we need to look out for before the exam? I recall last year, they send an admission ticket to you. However, I applied but didn't sit the July 16 exam as I had to be back in the UK.

I'm behind on 6 lectures from December, need to catch up on those. Otherwise, I've been watching the daily lecture, working in the afternoon, then trying to read the outline for the next day's lectures in the evening. By night, I'm not taking any of it in! Any tips/advice of study methods/plans would be much appreciate. Just trying to figure out best use of time and optimize the hours in the day!! The volume of material is so vast. I'm on Barbri in case that helps.

Also, I don't know whether to drive to the exam center or get a taxi? Again, any advice from those who have taken the exam in Austin would be great.

I have never taken it in Austin but my friends say parking can be stressful if you don't get there early. So just drive and get there early. But I am personally going to uber it on that Monday before the exam to see if its easier.

Oh wow. Well I will be driving to there early.

Gully1990

New

Post by Gully1990 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 pm

TXforeignlawyer wrote:Thanks, what is the score needed to pass the MBE on exam day?
I know 5 people who scored between a 110-125 that passed the bar exam. Its kind of up in the air! But its safe to say a 115 and above gives you the fair shot.

Mckay

New

Post by Mckay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Gully1990 wrote:
TXforeignlawyer wrote:Thanks, what is the score needed to pass the MBE on exam day?
I know 5 people who scored between a 110-125 that passed the bar exam. Its kind of up in the air! But its safe to say a 115 and above gives you the fair shot.

Thanks. I appreciate that info! That is good news!!

Shad2013

New

Post by Shad2013 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Well. I am up to a 132 on an MBE practice test. Hope like hell that is enough. I am tired of studying. Maybe I can find the grit to keep going.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Well done! Yeah, I am trying to figure out after 6 hours today whether to head out for a break...

I've not looked at MPT book yet. Been focusing on reading/writing essay examples, doing mbe questions and watching lectures that I'm behind on.

Has anyone received the admission ticket? I think I saw someone mention that we can access the ticket through our Atlas accounts, or is it that they are mailed out?

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Shad2013 wrote:Well. I am up to a 132 on an MBE practice test. Hope like hell that is enough. I am tired of studying. Maybe I can find the grit to keep going.
That's a solid raw score. I'm guessing that'd be upper 140s when scaled. But, there's no way of knowing how much it will be scaled.

vandyclark

New

Post by vandyclark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Curious- where are people completing practice MBE questions? I'm using BarBri but I'm not scoring well on the questions & need to work on that. Is there a better way to prep for that portion?

maztastic247

New

Post by maztastic247 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:41 pm

vandyclark wrote:Curious- where are people completing practice MBE questions? I'm using BarBri but I'm not scoring well on the questions & need to work on that. Is there a better way to prep for that portion?
I have been using adaptibar this time around doing about 50 questions a day... I just used barbri last time and didn't do as well as I had hoped.... mainly because I suck at the mbe. Depending on your financial situation adaptibar may not be worth it, this late in the game... I know the NCBE has some old practice tests available on their website that may be worth looking into as well! Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hottexas

New

Post by Hottexas » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:22 pm

[quote="BVest"][quote="pitted"]Does anyone have a list of which subjects were tested on each bar exam? I'm trying to guess as to whether we can expect to see a trust or guardianship question in Feb.[/quote
Can you send me please this list? Texasbarexam2017@gmail.com

vandyclark

New

Post by vandyclark » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Hottexas wrote:
BVest wrote:
pitted wrote:Does anyone have a list of which subjects were tested on each bar exam? I'm trying to guess as to whether we can expect to see a trust or guardianship question in Feb.[/quote

Just emailed a list- Looks like around every other bar exam & it was tested over the summer...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Hottexas wrote:
BVest wrote:
No. But here's the image link: http://i.imgur.com/Z800Yswl.png and the imgur link: http://imgur.com/Z800Ysw
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:35 pm

I've yet to write out any flash cards. Anyone have experience of Critical Pass flash cards? Are these pre written flash cards that you can buy?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Vandyclark - I'm using the MBE Barbri book but I'm in a similar boat, some topics, I'm doing okay on but on the topics I find hardest, I'm not doing well. Bar prep hero - which is a free online tool might be an idea? I've still to watch the consumer and final crim pro lectures

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 pm

And will probably need to watch constitutional again as that it by far the most difficult topic for me.

Futurehealthlawyer

New

Post by Futurehealthlawyer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:25 pm

maztastic247 wrote:Hey have any fellow retakers received their informal review yet? I know they said they would be dispatched in mid January and I am just curious if anyone got their's yet. It would really be nice if we got them in a fair amount of time before the bar so we can know what to focus on.
I'm still waiting to receive mine. I've emailed my processor and the general information email, but I haven't gotten a response.

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:30 am

Anyone received the admission ticket? Panicking as I checked my mail yesterday and still no sign. We need to provide a photo ID I believe? But where do you store your ID once thru since we cannot take our bags into the exam?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:30 am

Anyone received the admission ticket? Panicking as I checked my mail yesterday and still no sign. We need to provide a photo ID I believe? But where do you store your ID once thru since we cannot take our bags into the exam?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:48 am

TXforeignlawyer wrote:Anyone received the admission ticket? Panicking as I checked my mail yesterday and still no sign. We need to provide a photo ID I believe? But where do you store your ID once thru since we cannot take our bags into the exam?
ziploc.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feb17TBE

New

Post by Feb17TBE » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:51 am

TXforeignlawyer wrote:Anyone received the admission ticket? Panicking as I checked my mail yesterday and still no sign. We need to provide a photo ID I believe? But where do you store your ID once thru since we cannot take our bags into the exam?
I haven't received my admission ticket yet, either. Yes, a govt. issued photo ID is a requirement. My TX license is expired and I asked if I could use my passport from my home country and they said yes. You take your ID and your admission ticket with you in a clear plastic baggie along with pens, highlighters, etc., except during the MBE where you're only allowed to take pencils, no pens.

Feb17TBE

New

Post by Feb17TBE » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:57 am

maztastic247 wrote:
vandyclark wrote:Curious- where are people completing practice MBE questions? I'm using BarBri but I'm not scoring well on the questions & need to work on that. Is there a better way to prep for that portion?
I have been using adaptibar this time around doing about 50 questions a day... I just used barbri last time and didn't do as well as I had hoped.... mainly because I suck at the mbe. Depending on your financial situation adaptibar may not be worth it, this late in the game... I know the NCBE has some old practice tests available on their website that may be worth looking into as well! Good luck!
I'd disagree. I think Adaptibar is totally worth it. I raised my score by 10 scaled points just by doing Adaptibar questions during the last two weeks before the exam. They have all the NCBE questions. I also got the flashcards this time around but I'm finding doing the questions is a lot better for practice.
It's the essays that's screwing me over. And for some reason, I can't finish the MPTs on time either. I failed the last time because of these two areas. I'm still looking for a good strategy for the MPTs. I just don't want to ignore it again this time because they "only" count for 10% of the score. Any advice from anyone?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”