UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
eaternation

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby eaternation » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Hello,

I just received my Colorado Bar Exam results. Passed!

The score report only lists a written scaled score (142). Does this mean I'll never receive MPT and MEE breakdowns? Also anyone know how the written scaled scores are calculated? Does a 142 mean I received a mean score of 4 on each essay and MPT (assuming a 1-6 score range)? 142/200 = approx 70 percent. 4/6 = 67%

Any help is appreciated. Good luck to everyone waiting for their scores.

udonisandtrinity

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby udonisandtrinity » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Good Luck. Written Portion is graded arbitrarily. Even if you are able to receive those breakdowns, it won't be accurate. What did you score on your MBE?

eaternation

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby eaternation » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:44 am

Thanks for the info. I scored a 145 scaled score on the MBE. I needed a 276. I'm just glad I passed. PSA...don't plan a wedding for a week after the bar exam. It makes studying and wedding planning quite stressful. Fortunately, it worked out (thank you themis!).

User avatar
kellyfrost

Platinum
Posts: 6361
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby kellyfrost » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:23 am

eaternation wrote:Thanks for the info. I scored a 145 scaled score on the MBE. I needed a 276. I'm just glad I passed. PSA...don't plan a wedding for a week after the bar exam. It makes studying and wedding planning quite stressful. Fortunately, it worked out (thank you themis!).


That was a really poor decision to plan a wedding for a week after the bar exam. In fact, writing that sentence was slightly painful because of how poor of a decision you made. Did you not realize it would be stressful and create extreme distractions and hurt your focus. The bar exam, as you know, is no joke and no small project to complete. Failure is a reality for many and more often than not, it is due to the exam taker being unprepared.
Congratulations on passing the exam though.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eaternation

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby eaternation » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:53 am

kellyfrost wrote:
eaternation wrote:Thanks for the info. I scored a 145 scaled score on the MBE. I needed a 276. I'm just glad I passed. PSA...don't plan a wedding for a week after the bar exam. It makes studying and wedding planning quite stressful. Fortunately, it worked out (thank you themis!).


That was a really poor decision to plan a wedding for a week after the bar exam. In fact, writing that sentence was slightly painful because of how poor of a decision you made. Did you not realize it would be stressful and create extreme distractions and hurt your focus. The bar exam, as you know, is no joke and no small project to complete. Failure is a reality for many and more often than not, it is due to the exam taker being unprepared.
Congratulations on passing the exam though.


The planning was suppose to be completed before bar study started, but there were a series of unfortunate events that made planning into the summer a necessity. Fortunately, I felt confident in my ability to pass, but most importantly my wife felt comfortable making most of the major decisions. Thus, other than things such as tastings, she would ask my opinion only when she needed it. I only lost a few days of study overall but if I had been in charge of planning it all, it would have been horrible. Also, due to my job's start date (involved moving to a new state), it left a small window where we could have the wedding.

Cliff notes: If you can avoid it, perfect. If not, it's possible to pass! haha.

smileyface

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby smileyface » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:08 am

eaternation wrote:
Hello,

I just received my Colorado Bar Exam results. Passed!

The score report only lists a written scaled score (142). Does this mean I'll never receive MPT and MEE breakdowns? Also anyone know how the written scaled scores are calculated? Does a 142 mean I received a mean score of 4 on each essay and MPT (assuming a 1-6 score range)? 142/200 = approx 70 percent. 4/6 = 67%

Any help is appreciated. Good luck to everyone waiting for their scores.


Sorry I'm not actually able to answer your question. But I'm curious, can you plz explain Colorado's 1-6 written scoring system? I'd appreciate it XO

smileyface

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby smileyface » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:08 am

Oh and congrats on both the successful wedding and exam!

User avatar
justtrying

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby justtrying » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:16 pm

eaternation wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
eaternation wrote:Thanks for the info. I scored a 145 scaled score on the MBE. I needed a 276. I'm just glad I passed. PSA...don't plan a wedding for a week after the bar exam. It makes studying and wedding planning quite stressful. Fortunately, it worked out (thank you themis!).


That was a really poor decision to plan a wedding for a week after the bar exam. In fact, writing that sentence was slightly painful because of how poor of a decision you made. Did you not realize it would be stressful and create extreme distractions and hurt your focus. The bar exam, as you know, is no joke and no small project to complete. Failure is a reality for many and more often than not, it is due to the exam taker being unprepared.
Congratulations on passing the exam though.


The planning was suppose to be completed before bar study started, but there were a series of unfortunate events that made planning into the summer a necessity. Fortunately, I felt confident in my ability to pass, but most importantly my wife felt comfortable making most of the major decisions. Thus, other than things such as tastings, she would ask my opinion only when she needed it. I only lost a few days of study overall but if I had been in charge of planning it all, it would have been horrible. Also, due to my job's start date (involved moving to a new state), it left a small window where we could have the wedding.

Cliff notes: If you can avoid it, perfect. If not, it's possible to pass! haha.


Sigh. Someone should have told you it's impossible to have everything done like that. You always have to do things in the last couple of weeks, as RSVPs don't come in until right before and you still have to do the seating chart, etc.

I say this for anyone reading this who thinks it would be a good idea to get married a week after the bar exam. Don't. Leave yourself at least 2-3 weeks after it.

eaternation

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby eaternation » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:12 pm

smileyface wrote:
eaternation wrote:
Hello,

I just received my Colorado Bar Exam results. Passed!

The score report only lists a written scaled score (142). Does this mean I'll never receive MPT and MEE breakdowns? Also anyone know how the written scaled scores are calculated? Does a 142 mean I received a mean score of 4 on each essay and MPT (assuming a 1-6 score range)? 142/200 = approx 70 percent. 4/6 = 67%

Any help is appreciated. Good luck to everyone waiting for their scores.


Sorry I'm not actually able to answer your question. But I'm curious, can you plz explain Colorado's 1-6 written scoring system? I'd appreciate it XO


I am not positive that they use a 1-6 system since the individual essay scores are not released in Colorado. You just receive an overall written portion score. From my understanding most states use a system where essays are assigned a number (1-6). This number is multiplied by some multiplier to give you your final score.

Anyone have more insight on the scoring system for essays and mpts? What is the max written portion score possible?

MrT

Bronze
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: UBE Written Portion Scoring Question

Postby MrT » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:20 pm

eaternation wrote:
smileyface wrote:
eaternation wrote:
Hello,

I just received my Colorado Bar Exam results. Passed!

The score report only lists a written scaled score (142). Does this mean I'll never receive MPT and MEE breakdowns? Also anyone know how the written scaled scores are calculated? Does a 142 mean I received a mean score of 4 on each essay and MPT (assuming a 1-6 score range)? 142/200 = approx 70 percent. 4/6 = 67%

Any help is appreciated. Good luck to everyone waiting for their scores.


Sorry I'm not actually able to answer your question. But I'm curious, can you plz explain Colorado's 1-6 written scoring system? I'd appreciate it XO


I am not positive that they use a 1-6 system since the insicoduak essay scores are not released in Colorado. You just receive an overall written portion score. From my understanding most states use a system where essays are assigned a number (1-6). This number is multiplied by some multiplier to give you your final score.

Anyone have more insight on the scoring system for essays and mpts? What is the max written portion score possible?

UBE is on a 400-point scale and it is split 50/50 between essays and MBE. So that means each is worth 200 points. Although a rubric is provided by NCBE, each jurisdiction sets its own scoring.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ast52017, Google [Bot] and 10 guests