California C&F Conversation

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
rcharter1978

Gold

California C&F Conversation

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:47 am

I decided to call into the Cal Bar office to check on the status since its been a little over three months. Here is how it went (" CB is "cal bar")

Me: Hello, I was just calling to check on the status of my background check, I know its been like three months so I thought I'd just check in
CB: Can I have your file number, or SSN
Me: sure
CB: OK, well your file is still under review, its still really early in the process
Me: Oh, okay. I just wanted to call in and see if there was maybe anything that you were missing that I could help with, you know, if someone was lagging on paperwork. I mean, I have no problem calling, because I know you have a lot of files and you're really busy.
CB: No, no, there is nothing we're missing from your references, or else we would have called you
Me: Oh, okay, so you're just waiting on some other stuff
CB: Yeah, we're waiting on some things from your school and from the DMV
Me: Oh, when I had called earlier someone had told me you had the stuff from my school, if you don't have it, I can certainly call them to make sure they get it to you, thats no problem, I know you're really busy.
CB: Oh, wait, let me check, oh yeah, it looks like we have the stuff from your school
Me: Oh, great, so you're just waiting on stuff from the DMV then? I wouldn't mind calling or going into the DMV if that would help.
CB: Well, no, we're waiting on a bunch of other stuff too
Me: Oh, well is it anything I can help with? I know you have a lot of stuff to do, but now that I've passed the bar exam and the MPRE, it would be great to be able to get everything to you.
CB: No, we're just waiting on a bunch of other things that I can't divulge to you
Me: Oh, okay
CB: I understand your situation, if we need anything we'll call you, but you'll get a letter in about a month when this is referred to the analyst, I'm just the person that makes sure all the paperwork is in order.
Me: Okay, so in another month you'll hand the file over to someone else?
CB: Yes
Me: Allright, well thank you so much for your time
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I thought I was pretty nice, but I don't know how to interpret this. I don't know how much stuff they need, or if they found something wrong and they are investigating it or whats going on. I also don't know if just questioning the California Bar rep is going to make her upset enough to put my application at the bottom of the pile. I didn't mean to make her mad, but I would hate for my application to be held up because there was a referral or an employment verification sitting in someone's inbox, forgotten because they can't find a stamp.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: California C&F Conversation

Postby rpupkin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:48 am

Dude, with each nagging question you asked, she was "losing" more of your stuff. They were probably about to close up your file and approve your C&F app. But now it's back to the bottom of the pile. It'll rise back to the top in another three months or so.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:26 am

rpupkin wrote:Dude, with each nagging question you asked, she was "losing" more of your stuff. They were probably about to close up your file and approve your C&F app. But now it's back to the bottom of the pile. It'll rise back to the top in another three months or so.

Shit.

psu2016

Bronze

Postby psu2016 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:55 am

However legitimate your concerns are, you have to remember that you are not a special snowflake. The other 10,000 people with character and fitness files there have the same concerns. What would happen if they all called for a personalized update? My states bar sent us a nasty email after people called the office for a release date because it's a waste of time to go through what you made them do.

9xSound

New

Postby 9xSound » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:52 am

rpupkin wrote:Dude, with each nagging question you asked, she was "losing" more of your stuff. They were probably about to close up your file and approve your C&F app. But now it's back to the bottom of the pile. It'll rise back to the top in another three months or so.

LOL. :D

rkreymer

Bronze

Postby rkreymer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:04 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:I decided to call into the Cal Bar office to check on the status since its been a little over three months. Here is how it went (" CB is "cal bar")

Me: Hello, I was just calling to check on the status of my background check, I know its been like three months so I thought I'd just check in
CB: OK, well your file is still under review, its still really early in the process
Me: Oh, okay. I just wanted to call in and see if there was maybe anything that you were missing that I could help with, you know, if someone was lagging on paperwork. I mean, I have no problem calling, because I know you have a lot of files and you're really busy.
CB: No, no, there is nothing we're missing from your references, or else we would have called you
Me: Oh, okay, so you're just waiting on some other stuff
CB: Yeah, we're waiting on some things from your school and from the DMV
Me: Oh, when I had called earlier someone had told me you had the stuff from my school, if you don't have it, I can certainly call them to make sure they get it to you, thats no problem, I know you're really busy.
CB: Oh, wait, let me check, oh yeah, it looks like we have the stuff from your school
Me: Oh, great, so you're just waiting on stuff from the DMV then? I wouldn't mind calling or going into the DMV if that would help.
CB: Well, no, we're waiting on a bunch of other stuff too
Me: Oh, well is it anything I can help with? I know you have a lot of stuff to do, but now that I've passed the bar exam and the MPRE, it would be great to be able to get everything to you.
CB: No, we're just waiting on a bunch of other things that I can't divulge to you
Me: Oh, okay
CB: I understand your situation, if we need anything we'll call you, but you'll get a letter in about a month when this is referred to the analyst, I'm just the person that makes sure all the paperwork is in order.
Me: Okay, so in another month you'll hand the file over to someone else?
CB: Yes
Me: Allright, well thank you so much for your time
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I thought I was pretty nice, but I don't know how to interpret this. I don't know how much stuff they need, or if they found something wrong and they are investigating it or whats going on. I also don't know if just questioning the California Bar rep is going to make her upset enough to put my application at the bottom of the pile. I didn't mean to make her mad, but I would hate for my application to be held up because there was a referral or an employment verification sitting in someone's inbox, forgotten because they can't find a stamp.

I actually think you did pretty good. If anything, she should put your application at the top since she can clearly see it is ready to be referred to the analyst. :) Good luck

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:07 pm

^^thanks :)

We'll see, hopefully there is some movement in a month

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:45 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

Shit.

I was just messing with you. You do need to chill, though. While there's nothing wrong with very occasionally checking in on the status of your application, your "what can I do to help about getting stuff from X?" questions are weird and borderline improper.

Anyway, I don't think your application went back to the bottom of the pile. Although the person with whom you spoke may have found you neurotic and annoying, she's probably not going to do something blatantly unprofessional.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

Shit.

I was just messing with you. You do need to chill, though. While there's nothing wrong with very occasionally checking in on the status of your application, your "what can I do to help about getting stuff from X?" questions are weird and borderline improper.

Anyway, I don't think your application went back to the bottom of the pile. Although the person with whom you spoke may have found you neurotic and annoying, she's probably not going to do something blatantly unprofessional.

Especially since I'm sure that she's used to it by now given that answering these phone calls is her job

AspiringCALawyer

New

Postby AspiringCALawyer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:22 pm

rkreymer wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:I decided to call into the Cal Bar office to check on the status since its been a little over three months. Here is how it went (" CB is "cal bar")

Wow. The fact that the person made the qualifying statement that three months was "really" early in the process is not a good sign for a speedy outcome. That must explain why the under review email that's sent out (got mine after two months) says it could take up to 180 days (that would be February for me). Plus, no news appears to be good (haven't heard from them either). First, I'm hoping for positive pass results next month (attempt number two).

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Postby lacrossebrother » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:34 pm

Took me 8 months bc they kept losing my fingerprint auth. And you can't know from the status if it's incomplete. Called a couple weeks ago though and then they said wow that's too long and then shit was approved a few days later.
But yea you gotta wait till it's been long enough.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Took me 8 months bc they kept losing my fingerprint auth. And you can't know from the status if it's incomplete. Called a couple weeks ago though and then they said wow that's too long and then shit was approved a few days later.
But yea you gotta wait till it's been long enough.

I'm glad it got straightened out, but that is my nightmare scenario.

MavEryck

New

Postby MavEryck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:23 pm

180 Days is standard (I think there is a relevant statute). I wouldn't have even called the first time until 180 days had passed.

I had some serious stuff in my background report that I knew was going to take an inordinate amount of time to clear up (wrongful conviction over 20 years ago etc. in another State, which involved being extradited back to the United States from a foreign Country...all for something I never did).

An extradition for crying out loud! I got transported on a chain gang across several jurisdictions to answer charges in court...

I called the State Bar ahead of time to discuss my situation. I was told to submit the criminal record from the other State even though by law I didn't have to because the conviction had been vacated. However, the way it was explained to me is that it would probably take the investigation process a lot longer if they had to investigate whether or not my conviction did not have to be disclosed.

Long story short... at the end of 180 days I received a nice letter stating something to the effect that my Character and Fitness was going to take longer than the statutorily allotted time.

I was patient... Never called or contacted the State Bar.

Then one day... out of the blue... Boom Baby! Everything came back good. 8)

So, I have faith that the system works and that State Bar Employees are actually doing their jobs... Be patient.

BillCooper

New

Postby BillCooper » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:10 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

Shit.

As a former fed gov employee, I can tell you that this happens more than you think. Stop calling them.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�