New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

passx3
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby passx3 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:41 pm

BillCooper wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:To me, you're underestimating the idea that gaming a standardized test is a skill that someone who gets a 170 on the LSAT understands. Someone who got a sub 150 score probably doesn't understand.

Blaze -- by your own account you didn't really study on how to game the LSAT and you didn't take a bar review course. So you never really have studied the strategies associated with law school standardized testing. The fact that you bombed the MBE portion bolsters that point.

The same, IMO could be said for students who couldn't get a 150 on the LSAT. Since students raise their LSAT scores through studying/tutoring/prep classes, there is no particular reason to think they are smarter -- because on diagnostic testing they may have scored in the sub 150's before tutoring. But they learned the tips, tricks, strategies, study methods that raised their score to a real 160-170.

I don't think there is any conspiracy other than that. If the UBE was looking to screw minority students I think they would do it with the essay portion, which you did well on.

I do think GPA matters because if you're constantly at the bottom of your class at a lower ranked law school it probably means you didn't learn anything or retain any of the information that you'll need for the bar exam. Bottom of class students at Harvard are going to be different than bottom of the class students at a lower ranked school. We can discuss why if you disagree.

You simply need to learn the MBE and you'll be fine.


Can't agree more. I was a complete moron, borderline mentally retarded idiot in law school that finished at the bottom of my class. After a month of studying, I cut a 144 on the MBE. It's simply (a) learning the elements of the law, and (b) learning the tricks and snares of the MBE.


Wasn't bottom of my class, but I have to echo this sentiment. Any idiot can get a 145+ MBE. Do all of the Adaptibar questions, read all of the explanations in detail, do all of the Kaplan MBE course, and there will be no surprises on the MBE. You will have seen it all before and the right answers will jump out at you. This was my method, got a 167 while working full time.

guzmanator
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:21 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby guzmanator » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:02 pm

This question is for everyone that has already passed the UBE bar exam. I am taking the NM bar this February. For various reasons, I was unable to begin the Barbri course until late last week, and so am very behind (and more than freaking out about it :shock: Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to go about studying for this in the most effective way with the time I have left? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

ramone1954
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby ramone1954 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:50 pm

I think you all had bits of reason in your comments. This is not the first time UNM Law has had a low bar passage. So it all comes down to the type of class that was admitted; some students did not take the bar exam seriously in the UNM Class of 2016. Those that did pass were the "harder"-working students. The Class of 2017 was a focused class with good work ethic (from personal experience). The bar exam scores are moving upward for UNM Law first-time takers (http://lawschool.unm.edu/students/bar/results.html). This upward movement could also be because UNM started teaching more UBE-subject courses, and many of the courses have multiple-choice questions now, rather than sole essay questions.

As for the Law Review, it baffles me that students think they can just cruise law school without attempting either the Moot Court or Law Review write-on. Sure, you can get a job/clerkship, but not necessarily everyone that skipped the write-ons will be at a top firm or with a decent judge.

The school will have to wait for the July 2017 bar exam results to determine whether it is doing things correctly and whether the low bar-passage was just a fluke because of the Class of 2016.

InterAlia1961
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby InterAlia1961 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:50 pm

This isn't rocket science, folks. The scores are decreasing because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram than they are immersed in their legal studies. And lets not forget that law school used to be a four-year commitment. Now, you can do it in three years. I think that makes a difference as well.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 27214
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm

... the AALS mandated that law requires a 3 year course of study in 1906. The LLB (4 year undergrad degree in law) hasn't been a thing since the 1970s.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
#MAGA
Posts: 14757
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:06 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:This isn't rocket science, folks. The scores are decreasing because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram than they are immersed in their legal studies. And lets not forget that law school used to be a four-year commitment. Now, you can do it in three years. I think that makes a difference as well.


Did you fail because you spent too much time on Facebook and Instagram, or are you just dumb?

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5305
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby stego » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:This isn't rocket science, folks. The scores are decreasing because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram than they are immersed in their legal studies. And lets not forget that law school used to be a four-year commitment. Now, you can do it in three years. I think that makes a difference as well.


Did you fail because you spent too much time on Facebook and Instagram, or are you just dumb?

Why not both?.gif

InterAlia1961
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby InterAlia1961 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:29 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:... the AALS mandated that law requires a 3 year course of study in 1906. The LLB (4 year undergrad degree in law) hasn't been a thing since the 1970s.



I have a four-year degree.

InterAlia1961
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby InterAlia1961 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:33 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:This isn't rocket science, folks. The scores are decreasing because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram than they are immersed in their legal studies. And lets not forget that law school used to be a four-year commitment. Now, you can do it in three years. I think that makes a difference as well.


Did you fail because you spent too much time on Facebook and Instagram, or are you just dumb?


Fail what? Dumb? I'm not the one who can't engage in a conversation without name-calling. How old are you? Three? I don't know what you do for a living, but you will never, ever, be a lawyer. Give up. Oh, and don't answer, I won't be back to this forum. TLS has gotten as bad as the others. No grownups anywhere in sight.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 27214
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:49 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:... the AALS mandated that law requires a 3 year course of study in 1906. The LLB (4 year undergrad degree in law) hasn't been a thing since the 1970s.


I have a four-year degree.

From an ABA-accredited US full-time program? You are absolutely outside the norm and have been for probably 40 years. I also doubt your program has better bar passage rates than three-year programs.

(Also saying that people fail because they spend too much time on Instagram or Facebook is a only slightly subtler form of name-calling.)

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
#MAGA
Posts: 14757
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:This isn't rocket science, folks. The scores are decreasing because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram than they are immersed in their legal studies. And lets not forget that law school used to be a four-year commitment. Now, you can do it in three years. I think that makes a difference as well.


Did you fail because you spent too much time on Facebook and Instagram, or are you just dumb?


Fail what? Dumb? I'm not the one who can't engage in a conversation without name-calling. How old are you? Three? I don't know what you do for a living, but you will never, ever, be a lawyer. Give up. Oh, and don't answer, I won't be back to this forum. TLS has gotten as bad as the others. No grownups anywhere in sight.


Mid-30s, practicing attorney, passed the bar the first time, checking in.

I'm name calling because you're citing Facebook and Instagram as reasons for failing the bar, when you have actually failed the bar. Also that was phrased as a question, so it wasn't technically name calling.

As a bonus you referenced four years of law school, which hasn't been a thing in over a century.

ETA:

For reference:

InterAlia1961 wrote:Failed. !@#$@#$


viewtopic.php?f=41&t=271217&p=9986251&hilit=fail%2A#p9986251

InterAlia1961 wrote:First-time Adaptibar user. This is my FOURTH try at the CBX. Passed the MBE all three times. Failed the written portion on the re-read all three times. I'm not loving Adaptiar's questions.Take question 132/torts/other torts. There, the defendant cannot be convicted of defamation. They may be convicted of the tort of Invasion of Privacy, which encompasses Misappropriation of Image and False Light Representation, which is what we are dealing with in this question. It's not defamation unless the party to which the communication is directed understands it to be defamatory. In question 132, there is no defamatory communication.

If someone can show me how this is defamation, I would appreciate it.


Glass houses sink ships and whatnot.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby cron1834 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 am

Damn, failures calling others dumb for failing... and then complaining about name calling. Pathetic.

hockeyman969
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby hockeyman969 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Wanna call me a failure?

Took me 3 tries to break 150 on LSAT

Final law school GPA above 4.0 at night, final rank 1/222. Passed UBE every state first shot.

What was that about LSAT?

I guess I am a failure b/c I could never figure out the LSAT only cuz of what you say, but my law school stats are different. I guess I'm not a failure after all....the LSAT is the failure to me.

User avatar
lavarman84
#MAGA
Posts: 6292
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby lavarman84 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:26 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:Wanna call me a failure?

Took me 3 tries to break 150 on LSAT

Final law school GPA above 4.0 at night, final rank 1/222. Passed UBE every state first shot.

What was that about LSAT?

I guess I am a failure b/c I could never figure out the LSAT only cuz of what you say, but my law school stats are different. I guess I'm not a failure after all....the LSAT is the failure to me.


Why would you be a failure?

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby nothingtosee » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 pm

MODS PLZ

hockeyman969
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby hockeyman969 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 am

lavarman84 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:Wanna call me a failure?

Took me 3 tries to break 150 on LSAT

Final law school GPA above 4.0 at night, final rank 1/222. Passed UBE every state first shot.

What was that about LSAT?

I guess I am a failure b/c I could never figure out the LSAT only cuz of what you say, but my law school stats are different. I guess I'm not a failure after all....the LSAT is the failure to me.


Why would you be a failure?


Just following the logic of some folks above.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: New Mexico low passage rate is causing panic

Postby cron1834 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:19 pm

InterAlia is the only failure in this thread. Let's agree on that and get back to how weird New Mexico is.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest