Oregon Pass Rates Continue to Decline

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
amk110

New

Oregon Pass Rates Continue to Decline

Postby amk110 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:11 am

https://www.osbar.org/admissions/examresults.html

Ugh. A 58% overall pass rate this July is the worst in 17 years according to the website here.

62% of first-time takers passed. That's considerably below anything advertised by any of the state's law schools.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Oregon Pass Rates Continue to Decline

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:22 am

That's probably because there are takers from out-of-state schools bringing the passage rates down. That happens in most states.

bobbypin

Bronze

Postby bobbypin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:06 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:That's probably because there are takers from out-of-state schools bringing the passage rates down. That happens in most states.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. It can't just be blamed on out-of-state schools bringing the pass rate down. I personally know at least 21 of the people who did not pass today. All first time takers from in-state (OR) schools.
Last edited by bobbypin on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:42 am

Sure, I'm not saying that pass rates didn't go down. I was just responding to the idea that the overall pass rate has something to do with the pass rate advertised by local schools - my state actually breaks it down between the local schools, "national" schools (basically T14), and non-local non-national schools, and the latter always have lower pass rates; the overall pass rate is way lower than the local schools' rate. So while clearly something happened here (and I am very sorry about those people not passing), and chances are good local schools' rates went down, you can't really compare the overall passage rate with schools' published rates without actually knowing the breakdown for different schools.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:36 am

amk110 wrote:https://www.osbar.org/admissions/examresults.html

Ugh. A 58% overall pass rate this July is the worst in 17 years according to the website here.

62% of first-time takers passed. That's considerably below anything advertised by any of the state's law schools.

Jesus Christ!
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hardknockz

New

Postby Hardknockz » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:05 am

amk110 wrote:https://www.osbar.org/admissions/examresults.html

If you take a closer look, and click on the 1910 to Present Bar Passage Rates .pdf on that same page, you'll see that the 58% pass rate is the worst July Examination in 69 years. I only count back 69 years, because 1947 was Oregon's first noted July Bar Examination. It is the worst ever pass rate in the state's July examination history. :shock:

But, if you count the February examination, then it's the worst in 32 years. In February 1984, the passage rate was 57%.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�