Choosing a Jurisdiction/ Should I Take It? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
3LGulag

New

Choosing a Jurisdiction/ Should I Take It?

Post by 3LGulag » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems like a weird question, but my situation is pretty unique. So, for background, I am a first semester 3L at a law school ranked between #100 and #110 nationally and I am not ranked very high in my class. I got a 150 on the LSAT (didn't study much).

I have no intention to practice law. *GASP* (I intend to use it for a different, worthwhile purpose). However, I think I might want to do pro bono work. I did an immigration clinic last year and really enjoyed helping people get status. Plus, I am going back and forth about the validity of graduating law school and not taking the bar. I have hated every moment of law school and the thought of studying for the bar has also been daunting.

In order to do immigration law work, you can pass the bar in any jurisdiction and do it. It doesn't matter where you pass. Thus, I want to take the easiest possible bar. Additionally, the jurisdiction I live in (DC) is a pass-in jurisdiction so even if I wanted to practice, I'd be okay. I know South Dakota and Oklahoma historically were easiest, but I am not sure anymore. I'm willing to study for any jurisdiction.

My two questions are as follows:
1. What jurisdiction has the easiest bar exam? (In other words, in which state am I most likely to pass)?
2. Is it even worth me taking the bar when it is likely I will fail based on my rank and my law school's rank?

Thanks for any advice!

JDanger007

New

Re: Choosing a Jurisdiction/ Should I Take It?

Post by JDanger007 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:41 pm

cannot comment on your first question, but the second; my friend it is foolish to say you will fail based on your school's rank. Just study hard like everyone else.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:11 am

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 am

3LGulag wrote:Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems like a weird question, but my situation is pretty unique. So, for background, I am a first semester 3L at a law school ranked between #100 and #110 nationally and I am not ranked very high in my class. I got a 150 on the LSAT (didn't study much).

I have no intention to practice law. *GASP* (I intend to use it for a different, worthwhile purpose). However, I think I might want to do pro bono work. I did an immigration clinic last year and really enjoyed helping people get status. Plus, I am going back and forth about the validity of graduating law school and not taking the bar. I have hated every moment of law school and the thought of studying for the bar has also been daunting.

In order to do immigration law work, you can pass the bar in any jurisdiction and do it. It doesn't matter where you pass. Thus, I want to take the easiest possible bar. Additionally, the jurisdiction I live in (DC) is a pass-in jurisdiction so even if I wanted to practice, I'd be okay. I know South Dakota and Oklahoma historically were easiest, but I am not sure anymore. I'm willing to study for any jurisdiction.

1. What jurisdiction has the easiest bar exam? (In other words, in which state am I most likely to pass)?
2. Is it even worth me taking the bar when it is likely I will fail based on my rank and my law school's rank?

Thanks for any advice!
I have no idea who has the easiest bar....but you shouldn't assume or even think you'd fail, especially an easier bar exam. Why would you think that? People at schools far worse than yours pass difficult bar exams, so I don't see why you couldn't pass an easier one.

So yes, I think its worth it to take it -- although I would have thought you would have to be barred in your state even to practice immigration law. But thats just my lack of understanding I suppose.

3LGulag

New

Post by 3LGulag » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. The reason I say I have a low chance of passing the harder bar exams is this is the information I've been given from my law school based on my GPA. Thus why I'm trying to find the jx where I have the best shot of passing.
As per the questions about immigration law: Immigration law is federal, and is administered through a federal agency (the Department of Homeland Security). Once a lawyer has been licensed by the bar association of one or more states, and learned the basics of immigration law, the lawyer can set up practice wherever he or she chooses – in any U.S. state.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:33 pm

jessuf wrote:1. ube state
I second this. Take a UBE state near you. Even if you don't reach that particular state's UBE minimum (each UBE state sets its own minimum passing score), you can waive into another state with a lower minimum.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:09 pm

3LGulag wrote:Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems like a weird question, but my situation is pretty unique. So, for background, I am a first semester 3L at a law school ranked between #100 and #110 nationally and I am not ranked very high in my class. I got a 150 on the LSAT (didn't study much).

Thanks for any advice!
I doubt your purpose is worthwhile.

Anyways, take it in California, NY, Virginia, or Florida.

3LGulag

New

Post by 3LGulag » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll look up UBE info.
Nice try, not ever taking it in CA or NY. And my purpose is international human rights work, so to me that is worthwhile.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Take UBE for sure, but take it in Missouri or Montana. Low total passing score and high pass rates traditionally.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3LGulag

New

Post by 3LGulag » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:36 am

kellyfrost wrote:Take UBE for sure, but take it in Missouri or Montana. Low total passing score and high pass rates traditionally.
Thanks for the advice. So basically look for low total UBE passing score and a high pass rate to find the easiest jurisdictions?

jess

Post by jess » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3LGulag

New

Post by 3LGulag » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:21 pm

jessuf wrote:
3LGulag wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Take UBE for sure, but take it in Missouri or Montana. Low total passing score and high pass rates traditionally.
Thanks for the advice. So basically look for low total UBE passing score and a high pass rate to find the easiest jurisdictions?
Pass rate doesnt matter. It's the same exam in all UBE states. Just go for one with a 260 minimum score for passing. Also look into CLE requirements. Some of them require in-person CLE attendance, which is expensive and time-consuming if you are out of state.
Ok, I see what you're saying. I've looked at the UBE states now, and it looks like Minnesota would be the best for me based on the fact it doesn't have a Jurisdiction Specific Component, minimum passing score is 260, and you can do a lot of the CLE requirements online. You need an 85 to pass the MPRE, but I think I can do that based on practice scores.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Have you checked Missouri and Montana? Are they lower than 260?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3LGulag

New

Post by 3LGulag » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:00 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Have you checked Missouri and Montana? Are they lower than 260?
I looked after reading your advice. Montana you have to get 266 to pass and in Missouri it's 260 as well. They both also require Jurisdiction Specific Components, with Montana requiring you take an in-person course on Montana law. Otherwise I would have gone with Missouri.

jess

Post by jess » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:18 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3LGulag

New

Post by 3LGulag » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:01 am

jessuf wrote:
3LGulag wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Have you checked Missouri and Montana? Are they lower than 260?
I looked after reading your advice. Montana you have to get 266 to pass and in Missouri it's 260 as well. They both also require Jurisdiction Specific Components, with Montana requiring you take an in-person course on Montana law. Otherwise I would have gone with Missouri.
the in-person stuff is not a big deal. for example, washington has one where you take a quiz and can have your study materials open. new mexico has a day after the bar exam where everyone plays on facebook the whole time and ignores the speakers.
Cool. Good to know.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:59 pm

I would take Oklahoma over South Dakota.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:53 pm

3LGulag wrote:
Yes, in Montana you have to attend the Montana Law Seminar the day after the UBE is over, but everyone comes in hungover and there's no test.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:57 pm

PBateman1 wrote:
3LGulag wrote:
Yes, in Montana you have to attend the Montana Law Seminar the day after the UBE is over, but everyone comes in hungover and there's no test.
Do you work in Montana? If so, where?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:27 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
PBateman1 wrote:
3LGulag wrote:
Do you work in Montana? If so, where?
A firm in Helena

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”