NY Admission Application

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Phil Brooks

Bronze
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby Phil Brooks » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:49 pm

Would my girlfriend and be an appropriate person to sign one of my character and fitness affidavits? The instructions say the affiant can't be related to you by blood or marriage and can't be affiliated with your present employer.

Also, would my former legal employer be an appropriate person to sign my other character and fitness affidavit? He also signed my pro bono form (I volunteered for his organization).

Thanks!

ClubberLang

Bronze
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby ClubberLang » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:Would my girlfriend and be an appropriate person to sign one of my character and fitness affidavits? The instructions say the affiant can't be related to you by blood or marriage and can't be affiliated with your present employer.

Also, would my former legal employer be an appropriate person to sign my other character and fitness affidavit? He also signed my pro bono form (I volunteered for his organization).

Thanks!


I think both are bad ideas. Someone who does an employment affidavit can't do the moral character affidavit. Although the pro bono form isn't an employment affidavit, it covers the same ground. Under the letter of the rule it seems like you would be allowed, but it could cause unnecessary delay. Girlfriend just sounds like a bad idea. If you guys break up in the interim she can tank you.

Phil Brooks

Bronze
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby Phil Brooks » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:04 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:Would my girlfriend and be an appropriate person to sign one of my character and fitness affidavits? The instructions say the affiant can't be related to you by blood or marriage and can't be affiliated with your present employer.

Also, would my former legal employer be an appropriate person to sign my other character and fitness affidavit? He also signed my pro bono form (I volunteered for his organization).

Thanks!


I think both are bad ideas. Someone who does an employment affidavit can't do the moral character affidavit. Although the pro bono form isn't an employment affidavit, it covers the same ground. Under the letter of the rule it seems like you would be allowed, but it could cause unnecessary delay. Girlfriend just sounds like a bad idea. If you guys break up in the interim she can tank you.


Thanks. I'm having trouble thinking of people. I did not grow up in this country and have not known any lawyers for more than two years other than ones I've worked for. For the other one, I suppose I can just find a non-law-school friend.

publicservicelawyer

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby publicservicelawyer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

I took the July 2016 New York bar and now putting together the application packet for the Second Department. Can anyone tell me how to register with OCA? I tried to create an online account but they ask for an attorney registration number. I don't think I have one.

ndp1234

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby ndp1234 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:17 pm

You have to mail it in to the address on the packet and attach the affidavit slip to your application packet. They'll give you a number at some point, and you can do your biennial renewals through the online portal. The full instructions are here, along with the complete form: https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/pdf ... ackage.pdf
Last edited by ndp1234 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

raptors_delight

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby raptors_delight » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Has anyone heard anything from the Second Department specifically confirming receipt of their application and giving an interview or swearing in date? A bunch of people I know who sent their materials in after I did have already received letters from the First Department. I don't know if the Second Department is just slower or if there is a problem with my application (such as it being in a dumpster somewhere).

QuasiINrem

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby QuasiINrem » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:11 pm

ndp1234 wrote:You have to mail it in to the address on the packet and attach the affidavit slip to your application packet. They'll give you a number at some point, and you can do your biennial renewals through the online portal. The full instructions are here, along with the complete form: https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/pdf ... ackage.pdf



Crap! I didn't attaché drhe affidavit slip to my application. Would they return the whole application because its incomplete

ndp1234

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby ndp1234 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:40 pm

No, they shouldn't return your application. My reviewer called me and told me to send in the affidavit slip. After which, I got an invitation for the out of towner swearing in program on Dec 6 & 7 so I assume everything must be complete.

QuasiINrem

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby QuasiINrem » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:44 pm

ndp1234 wrote:No, they shouldn't return your application. My reviewer called me and told me to send in the affidavit slip. After which, I got an invitation for the out of towner swearing in program on Dec 6 & 7 so I assume everything must be complete.



Awesome! Thank you

mpusch

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby mpusch » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:22 pm

Hate to be one of those people who register just for one question...

My wife passed the July exam and is now registered for the December NYLE. She called the 4th Appellate to get an idea of swear-in date ceremony and was told that since she didn't take it in October she will have to wait until June now. Not that it counts for anything, but this link (http://www.barexambrief.com/important-n ... am-update/) makes a point of saying that taking the December exam would still be timely.

Any other thoughts on the matter? It is what it is, but after passing it would really suck to have made a mistake and delayed admission for 5 more months.

ClubberLang

Bronze
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby ClubberLang » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:56 pm

mpusch wrote:Hate to be one of those people who register just for one question...

My wife passed the July exam and is now registered for the December NYLE. She called the 4th Appellate to get an idea of swear-in date ceremony and was told that since she didn't take it in October she will have to wait until June now. Not that it counts for anything, but this link (http://www.barexambrief.com/important-n ... am-update/) makes a point of saying that taking the December exam would still be timely.

Any other thoughts on the matter? It is what it is, but after passing it would really suck to have made a mistake and delayed admission for 5 more months.


I think she''ll have to wait. You aren't certified for admission until passing the NYLE, and for the 3rd division anyway they say you have to have all your stuff into them by early December to be eligible for the January swearing in. They won't review your stuff until you are certified.

Your wife is not the only one going through this exact thing. With how easy the NYLE is, it blows my mind that someone who cares about when they are admitted would put it off. The hardest part about NYLC and NYLE is figuring out how to get multiple videos running at once.

mpusch

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby mpusch » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:59 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
mpusch wrote:Hate to be one of those people who register just for one question...

My wife passed the July exam and is now registered for the December NYLE. She called the 4th Appellate to get an idea of swear-in date ceremony and was told that since she didn't take it in October she will have to wait until June now. Not that it counts for anything, but this link (http://www.barexambrief.com/important-n ... am-update/) makes a point of saying that taking the December exam would still be timely.

Any other thoughts on the matter? It is what it is, but after passing it would really suck to have made a mistake and delayed admission for 5 more months.


I think she''ll have to wait. You aren't certified for admission until passing the NYLE, and for the 3rd division anyway they say you have to have all your stuff into them by early December to be eligible for the January swearing in. They won't review your stuff until you are certified.

Your wife is not the only one going through this exact thing. With how easy the NYLE is, it blows my mind that someone who cares about when they are admitted would put it off. The hardest part about NYLC and NYLE is figuring out how to get multiple videos running at once.


Thanks for the input. There are reasons why it didn't get done in time, but none of them really matter at this point. Pretty disappointing. Onward and upward!

WahooLaw24

Bronze
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:54 pm

Answered, thanks!
Last edited by WahooLaw24 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 am

WahooLaw24 wrote:Question 13 of the application asks whether you've ever . . . "otherwise been subjected to discipline" by any school which might reflect upon your character. In college I got "docked" by an RA once for being in the presence of alcohol (though not consuming it) while underage. Basically I just had to complete an online module and meet with one of the school's employees.

Is the general advice just to be on the safe side and disclose something like that? TYIA


definitely disclose

MinnieMouse

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby MinnieMouse » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:Would my girlfriend and be an appropriate person to sign one of my character and fitness affidavits? The instructions say the affiant can't be related to you by blood or marriage and can't be affiliated with your present employer.

Also, would my former legal employer be an appropriate person to sign my other character and fitness affidavit? He also signed my pro bono form (I volunteered for his organization).

Thanks!


I think both are bad ideas. Someone who does an employment affidavit can't do the moral character affidavit. Although the pro bono form isn't an employment affidavit, it covers the same ground. Under the letter of the rule it seems like you would be allowed, but it could cause unnecessary delay. Girlfriend just sounds like a bad idea. If you guys break up in the interim she can tank you.


Thanks. I'm having trouble thinking of people. I did not grow up in this country and have not known any lawyers for more than two years other than ones I've worked for. For the other one, I suppose I can just find a non-law-school friend.




Your character and fitness affidavit does not have to be issued by a lawyer in this country necessarily. One affidavit should be completed by an attorney in good standing in any jurisdiction. All my affidavits were issued abroad and so far I had no problem.

Cellar-door

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:56 pm

MinnieMouse wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:Would my girlfriend and be an appropriate person to sign one of my character and fitness affidavits? The instructions say the affiant can't be related to you by blood or marriage and can't be affiliated with your present employer.

Also, would my former legal employer be an appropriate person to sign my other character and fitness affidavit? He also signed my pro bono form (I volunteered for his organization).

Thanks!


I think both are bad ideas. Someone who does an employment affidavit can't do the moral character affidavit. Although the pro bono form isn't an employment affidavit, it covers the same ground. Under the letter of the rule it seems like you would be allowed, but it could cause unnecessary delay. Girlfriend just sounds like a bad idea. If you guys break up in the interim she can tank you.


Thanks. I'm having trouble thinking of people. I did not grow up in this country and have not known any lawyers for more than two years other than ones I've worked for. For the other one, I suppose I can just find a non-law-school friend.




Your character and fitness affidavit does not have to be issued by a lawyer in this country necessarily. One affidavit should be completed by an attorney in good standing in any jurisdiction. All my affidavits were issued abroad and so far I had no problem.

Also of note, they PREFER at least 1 be an attorney, but it isn't a requirement.

jt91isles

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 am

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby jt91isles » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:12 pm

Just spoke to a Bole Admin. Good news for all you T14 top 10%ers, if you scored above a 320 on the UBE, BOLE will waive all Bar admission application fees for UBE states.

Regards,

Mr. You-wish-you-scored-as-high-as-me-on-the-UBE

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:33 pm

jt91isles wrote:Just spoke to a Bole Admin. Good news for all you T14 top 10%ers, if you scored above a 320 on the UBE, BOLE will waive all Bar admission application fees for UBE states.

Regards,

Mr. You-wish-you-scored-as-high-as-me-on-the-UBE


Great news! Did Angie tell you?

User avatar
amsong

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby amsong » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Zongo wrote:Anyone else get interview/swearing in dates for 1st dept. My co-worker got his (we sent them in together), but I didn't receive anything. Is he the only one?


When did you all submit your app?

raptors_delight

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby raptors_delight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:53 am

FYI: I received an interview date. Second Department; submitted application a little more than two weeks ago.

ndp1234

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby ndp1234 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:40 am

Congrats raptor! I knew that they wouldn't return an application because of inadvertently forgetting to sign the riders. Is anyone else doing the out of town program on 12/6-12/7? They sent an email saying they'll send an interview time in mid November (granted they sent the confirmation just on Monday) but I haven't received a specific time. Did anyone else doing the program receive a time?

QuasiINrem

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby QuasiINrem » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:46 pm

They just received my this Monday and I forgot to attach the OCA affidavit. But OCA already charged my credit card for the attorney registration fee...anyone from the second dept that already took their oath?

EsquireNoir

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:48 am

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby EsquireNoir » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Are we permitted to submit copies of affidavits from previous employers or must we submit the original? In case it matters, I am in the First Department. Thank you!

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:53 pm

EsquireNoir wrote:Are we permitted to submit copies of affidavits from previous employers or must we submit the original? In case it matters, I am in the First Department. Thank you!


instructions say originals. they're notarized. they probably want the originals.

MinnieMouse

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Re: NY Admission Application

Postby MinnieMouse » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:13 pm

Has anyone from 3rd Dept received any confirmation for the interview or swear-in already?



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GatorToLS, jrstephens1991 and 35 guests