Odds...based on practice

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
LawDawg2016

New

Odds...based on practice

Postby LawDawg2016 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Okay...I was a second time taker. Seriously stressing. I took Barbri and just did the lectures and some AMP stuff and a few diagnostics and question sets. Spent a majority of the question time on Adaptibar practice questions and pouring over the answers. Why I got something right or why I got something wrong. I did the four prior MBE released tests. I made an 82, 76, 78 and 74% -- but those don't have civ pro, so I did a few custom tests that included Adaptibar's civ pro practice question...maybe 2 of these 50 question tests. Both, I scored in the 70s. And so, I felt good...BUT...now I am freaking out. Is there any REAL correlation to practice performance and actual test performance? I didn't do Adaptiabar last time, but I did do a practice test and only got about 60% and with Barbri, I was consistently in low 60% -- and I failed. I'm just hoping the higher scores in practice is positive. I need some sleep!! LOL

HP5450

New

Re: Odds...based on practice

Postby HP5450 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:26 am

There is no correlation between practice tests and the real thing. The practice tests lack any real similarity to the material actually tested and are therefore entirely useless. The best manner in which to prepare is by doing handstands for long periods while singing T Swift songs, preferably in a public place. I recommend this for your next go round.

passx3

New

Postby passx3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:53 am

Adaptibar has a whole article about how your cumulative score after 1300 questions is a 90%+ accurate predictor of exam-day scoring. Whatever that means. They basically say take your cumulative percentage, multiply by two, and this is where you are likely to score (raw score).

So I ended up with 73.4% cumulative for adaptibar... they say this would equate to a 146.8 raw score, there's usually a 10 point curve, so 156.8 is adaptibar's prediction.

Kaplan's final MBE practice exam has a predictor too, they said to add 15 points to our final score. I think I got a 148, so they predicted a test day score of 163.

No idea how I did, but I felt alright. I also neglected civ pro, felt the time was better invested in subjects that have been tested more and for which there was more material

squiggle

Bronze

Postby squiggle » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:46 pm

Last summer someone collected practice and real MBE scores from taker using a variety of bar prep companies. Here's the google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vr09D0xHNrjofg8ZnGH3vWKOd2DO_OhakDUg4hhbi3k/edit#gid=0

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:00 am

Having taught this test for a number of years now, I can say with confidence that when a person is scoring consistently at the levels you've cited here, that person is in good shape to score high enough on the actual test to pass the exam. But percentages can deceive if the percentage only represents one's level after working through minimal questions. When you're scoring 70+% on a large number of questions spanning all the testable areas, it's a very good sign that you've built up a knowledge base and have developed the skills needed to obtain a passing score.

--Sean

LawDawg2016

New

Postby LawDawg2016 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:19 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:Having taught this test for a number of years now, I can say with confidence that when a person is scoring consistently at the levels you've cited here, that person is in good shape to score high enough on the actual test to pass the exam. But percentages can deceive if the percentage only represents one's level after working through minimal questions. When you're scoring 70+% on a large number of questions spanning all the testable areas, it's a very good sign that you've built up a knowledge base and have developed the skills needed to obtain a passing score.

--Sean

Thank you, Sean. I tried to do at least 50 questions at a time for the reasons you cited.

Thanks also to the others for the insight and resources. I feel better. I know it may seem silly to others, specifically the person who suggested standing on my head/hands to prepare, but it is such a scary thing to face the possibility of a second failure. I really appreciate the positive input!

L_William_W

Bronze

Postby L_William_W » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Adaptibar is shit. Kaplan questions are roughly the same format and level of difficulty as the real thing.

BigDaddy8003

New

Postby BigDaddy8003 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:29 pm

squiggle wrote:Last summer someone collected practice and real MBE scores from taker using a variety of bar prep companies. Here's the google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vr09D0xHNrjofg8ZnGH3vWKOd2DO_OhakDUg4hhbi3k/edit#gid=0

Thanks for this.

So, how unheard of it is to do WORSE on the actual bar than you did on the barbri mid term? I mean on that spreadsheet I don't think I saw a single person who wasn't at least the same, let alone 15+ pts higher on the actual bar.

immalawyer

New

Postby immalawyer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:40 am

squiggle wrote:Last summer someone collected practice and real MBE scores from taker using a variety of bar prep companies. Here's the google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vr09D0xHNrjofg8ZnGH3vWKOd2DO_OhakDUg4hhbi3k/edit#gid=0

This actually gives me some hope. So.. If I fail, I blame you for destroying all the self-doubt I instilled for the passed month to soften the blow.

LawDawg2016

New

Postby LawDawg2016 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Passed and cleared to be sworn in! YES!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�