Allowed to Sell BARBRI Books?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
didntretake

New

Allowed to Sell BARBRI Books?

Postby didntretake » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:13 pm

I am not trying to sell books here.

Just wondering if anyone knows, definitively, whether your agreement with BARBRI permits resale of the books. I've been searching a bit for answers but haven't found much information that seems fully trustworthy.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Allowed to Sell BARBRI Books?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:26 pm

When I took the course, it didn't. Of course, Barbri knows it's impossible to enforce that, practically speaking, which is why they send you your $250 deposit back if you return them (that's about what I've seen the books go for on eBay). But you are not supposed to resell them (presuming they haven't changed that policy since I took it, but there's no reason to think they would).

AspiringCALawyer

New

Postby AspiringCALawyer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:30 pm

didntretake wrote:I am not trying to sell books here.

Just wondering if anyone knows, definitively, whether your agreement with BARBRI permits resale of the books. I've been searching a bit for answers but haven't found much information that seems fully trustworthy.

Why not call Barbri and ask directly (anonymously)? When I took Feb 2016 bar, I returned books and got my deposit back (I was hopeful that I had passed). I didn't and had to take July 2016 bar. I don't plan to return them this time, in case I don't pass again. I won't be able to retake Barbri for free; therefore, I will need something to use for studying. If I do pass, I will get rid of the books--perhaps give them to a friend. Generally, I don't trust selling online, even if I could (don't know for sure).

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:13 pm

I assumed you'd be able to sell the BARBRI books. Is the idea that you are just renting them or licensing them somehow? I would have thought if you were purchasing the books it would be just like any other book that you can resell. You paid the price for their copyrighted material and now you can do with it what you'd like. I thought they paid the buyback fee because they WANT the books back not because you couldn't sell them.

I thought I had purchased the books -- I don't remember it being called a deposit, but maybe it was.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:50 pm

The money for the books is definitely described as a deposit. My understanding is that the books are considered proprietary course materials and you can only get them by buying the course.

(Again, though, in reality people sell them all the time - the above is just going off what Barbri says.)

Learning9

New

Postby Learning9 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:13 pm

AspiringCALawyer wrote:
didntretake wrote:When I took Feb 2016 bar, I returned books and got my deposit back (I was hopeful that I had passed).

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you cost you to ship them back?

AspiringCALawyer

New

Postby AspiringCALawyer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Learning9 wrote:
AspiringCALawyer wrote:
didntretake wrote:When I took Feb 2016 bar, I returned books and got my deposit back (I was hopeful that I had passed).

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you cost you to ship them back?

UPS was $26.84 ground--a little more than the $25 Barbri charged. I'm anal so that price includes the cost for $250 of insurance. Plus, it was a little lighter, given that I could keep the workbook.

L_William_W

Bronze

Postby L_William_W » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:49 pm

There are a myriad of Barbri books on Amazon. Obviously, someone resold it. The amount of money you'll make will probably be higher than the $250 deposit.

Law&coffee

New

Postby Law&coffee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 pm

I assume Barbri searches for its materials on eBay and Amazon and upon finding their books, they can send the seller a "demand" email to remove the listing or else they report the seller to the website. I had that experience attempting to sell PowerScore LSAT course books.

tiymay

New

Postby tiymay » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:28 pm

A friend of mine said they called, and were told you can't, so she was scared out of it.
If you were to sell them, it's unlikely Barbri cops would take you down, and you'd make $100-$200+ extra over sending them back for the deposit.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�