Study strategies for MPRE - barbri or kaplan or both Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nybar2015

New

Study strategies for MPRE - barbri or kaplan or both

Post by Nybar2015 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Please share your study strategies for MPRE . Should I do barbri or kaplan or both. I really hate the videos so I am not doing them. Otherwise would conviser and practice exams suffice.

MCFC

Platinum

Re: Study strategies for MPRE - barbri or kaplan or both

Post by MCFC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:08 pm

The key for me was just to drill practice questions.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:23 pm

I don't think you need the to read the Conviser. I studied by watching Themis' free videos, and then drilling practice questions. I did Barbri's and either Kaplan or Themis (IIRC one of them had free practice questions). The non-Barbri questions were a lot more representative of the MPRE. I studied for 5 days and passed with a scaled score above 100.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Yeah I think almost all of the prep companies make their MPRE stuff available for free.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:34 pm

OMG ... NEITHER. I took the MPRE twice, not for failing, but because my first score expired. I took it once after 1L, during the summer... just because I wanted to. I had to take it again 2L summer because the first one was going to be too old. Passed both times by huge margins. The test is a joke, NOTHING like the bar exam as far as difficulty is concerned.

The MPRE is EASY...no joke. Read the ABA professional conduct rules. Get the book and just read the rules and comments a few times and you'll be good. It is not worth spending money on prep materials.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nybar2015

New

Post by Nybar2015 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Thank you all for your inputs. guess the problem with me is I just can't get myself to read for another exam after the bar :x . Hope to complete all the practice exams in barbri n kaplan.

threecharacters

New

Post by threecharacters » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:30 pm

I did two practice tests through Barbri the day before and passed. I was also super hungover because it was March and my team lost the previous night in the NCAA basketball tournament. You'll be fine.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Barbri lecture + Barbri practice questions + one week. This is all you need

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Black Hat wrote:OMG ... NEITHER. I took the MPRE twice, not for failing, but because my first score expired. I took it once after 1L, during the summer... just because I wanted to. I had to take it again 2L summer because the first one was going to be too old. Passed both times by huge margins. The test is a joke, NOTHING like the bar exam as far as difficulty is concerned.

The MPRE is EASY...no joke. Read the ABA professional conduct rules. Get the book and just read the rules and comments a few times and you'll be good. It is not worth spending money on prep materials.
Ignore this advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Nybar2015 wrote:Please share your study strategies for MPRE . Should I do barbri or kaplan or both. I really hate the videos so I am not doing them. Otherwise would conviser and practice exams suffice.
I did the free Themis MPRE program. I did the whole course. Took about 20ish hours to complete. I just did 4 hours a day for 5 days straight. It would also be easily doable to do like 2 hours a day over a week of a half

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Nebby wrote:
Black Hat wrote:OMG ... NEITHER. I took the MPRE twice, not for failing, but because my first score expired. I took it once after 1L, during the summer... just because I wanted to. I had to take it again 2L summer because the first one was going to be too old. Passed both times by huge margins. The test is a joke, NOTHING like the bar exam as far as difficulty is concerned.

Ignore this advice.
Nebby wrote:
Nybar2015 wrote:Please share your study strategies for MPRE . Should I do barbri or kaplan or both. I really hate the videos so I am not doing them. Otherwise would conviser and practice exams suffice.
I did the free Themis MPRE program. I did the whole course. Took about 20ish hours to complete. I just did 4 hours a day for 5 days straight. It would also be easily doable to do like 2 hours a day over a week of a half

Stupid and unnecessary. But I guess if you're a particularly slow student then yeah. Literally every single person I have talked to about the MPRE over the past four years, probably around 100, have said the exact same thing I did above, the test is fairly easy and a lot of the ethical issues that come up are intuitive.

There isn't that many rules in the book, not a lot to memorize.

Not to mention I have the practical experience of taking it TWICE and passing with flying colors both times, but whatever. lol

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Ignore this advice.
Nebby wrote:

Stupid and unnecessary. But I guess if you're a particularly slow student then yeah. Literally every single person I have talked to about the MPRE over the past four years, probably around 100, have said the exact same thing I did above, the test is fairly easy and a lot of the ethical issues that come up are intuitive.

There isn't that many rules in the book, not a lot to memorize.

Not to mention I have the practical experience of taking it TWICE and passing with flying colors both times, but whatever. lol
Yeah buddy I'm sure it's because I'm slow. That's it! Any other hot takes or does it take a lot of time to cook em up??

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:18 pm

I just did the minimum that Barbri recommended: Read the full outline once, watched the lecture, did the practice questions in the barbri book, did two practice tests through Barbri's portal online, and read the CMR once. Passed with mad room to spare.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:40 pm

It depends on what type of student you are.

If it takes you a long time to absorb an average amount of easy material, then spend the time. Nebby's advice would suit this situation. (No offense, Nebby.)

If you're a quick student, then watch a lecture and do two sets of questions.

If you took professional responsibility, both of the above options will become easier.

I, personally, watched BarBri's lecture and then did their two exams in their free book. The lecture covered maybe 40% of the material, but I had taken PR the previous semester. Overall, it is a really easy exam. I passed easily, and for comparison, I spent a ridiculous amount of hours studying for the Bar.

pinaylawyer

New

Post by pinaylawyer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Anyone who used Barmax instead of barbri? Their outline is right on point with the mpre coverage. But skeptikal to use it as everyone say study barbri

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:22 pm

pinaylawyer wrote:Anyone who used Barmax instead of barbri? Their outline is right on point with the mpre coverage. But skeptikal to use it as everyone say study barbri
Did Themis - questions were good practice. But I tend to like Themis' style over BarBri.

As a quick summary guide, looked at Marino Legal Academy's MPRE Memory Boosters. This was helpful to synthesize information, but shouldn't be used by itself.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:24 pm

I watched all of the Kaplan videos, the BarBri videos on the topics I was confused about, read the model rules once over, and did about 500 practice questions. Probably 30 hours total prep.

127 on test day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

StarLord23

New

Post by StarLord23 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:53 am

Studied 2-3 days tops. Watched the Barbri video one weekend and filled out the accompanying outline. Re-watched the next weekend and filled out another copy. Did 50 practice questions the day before (bombed many of them), and I ended up getting a 104. Didn't necessarily blow the top off it, but did plenty fine to practice in my state (only required a 75), and all other jurisdictions (most required about an 85 if I recall). No need to go nuts to prep for it!

symphony07

New

Post by symphony07 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:40 am

It's not "intuitive". Many of the answers are not what you expect, in that they are not the ethical (or most ethical) responses. You need to do practice exams/questions. I watched the Kaplan video (Fromm or whatever his name is) and did about 120 practice questions. I also skimmed the actual ABA rules and paid attention to comments that went with the rules. The comments are key.

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:45 am

I merely watched the barbri lecture the night before the test and passed with an 81.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:34 am

grixxlybear99 wrote:I merely watched the barbri lecture the night before the test and passed with an 81.
Honestly congrats but 81 is not sufficient in a few jurisdictions.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:44 am

Got the kaplan book, read it cover to cover on a cross country flight (and the return), did two practice tests. Crushed the exam. Not that hard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”