Do you think you passed the MBE?

1. Yes
65%
2. No
35%

Total votes: 159

whitecollar23

Bronze

Re: So, Do You Think You Passed the Bar?

Postby whitecollar23 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:22 pm

ironbmike wrote:
L_William_W wrote:Your gut instinct is usually correct:

Don't tell me this.

Don't listen to this guy. The VAST majority of my friends tell me that everyone feels like they failed when they walk out, but most end up passing. Relax.

trojankid09

New

Postby trojankid09 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:13 pm

SFSpartan wrote:100% certain that I failed CBX, and that my failure is because of the essays. Only feel really good about Essays 1 and 6 and PT B. Ambivalent about 2, 3, and 5, though I'm pretty sure I did a complete enough analysis to pull 60s on those. Completely shit the bed on Essay 4 (I hit most of the issues, but fucked the analysis up/applied wrong rules for everything but standing).

Hopefully the MBE saves me, though I don't feel great about that either.

Just trying to get more insight - what do you mean by "ambivalent"? Like ambivalent about the right rules, right conclusion, etc.?

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:19 pm

trojankid09 wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:100% certain that I failed CBX, and that my failure is because of the essays. Only feel really good about Essays 1 and 6 and PT B. Ambivalent about 2, 3, and 5, though I'm pretty sure I did a complete enough analysis to pull 60s on those. Completely shit the bed on Essay 4 (I hit most of the issues, but fucked the analysis up/applied wrong rules for everything but standing).

Just trying to get more insight - what do you mean by "ambivalent"? Like ambivalent about the right rules, right conclusion, etc.?

When I say ambivalent, I mean that I used all the facts, but not sure if I used them in the right way. For example, on question 2, for the breach of contract claim, I got the right conclusion, but for the wrong reason. Rather than seeing the merger thing, I went through a contracts analysis and concluded that the purchaser would be estopped from asserting the warranty provision in the contract because of the subsequent deed. Going through the full Ks analysis, rather than easily disposing of an obvious issue really fucked with my timing. As a result, the rest of Question 2 and Question 3 were poorly written. Again though, I'm pretty sure I hit and analyzed the major issues on them.

MCFC

Platinum

Postby MCFC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Yep.

philepistemer

Bronze

Postby philepistemer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:09 pm

I would be surprised if I failed, but I'm less confident than I thought I would be before I took it.

Black Hat

Bronze

Postby Black Hat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:54 pm

I tested in a UBE jurisdiction. I feel 100% confident I passed. I went to a T25, and the pass rates in my jurisdiction, for my school are close to 90%.

The MBE was difficult for sure, definitely the afternoon session; I walked out of the morning MBE session feeling like a champion. I figure though that if the afternoon session was difficult for me, it was for everyone else too, and the equalization and curve will adjust for that. Overall for the afternoon I tried to eliminate the obvious two wrong choices, and then take my best guess on what was left using common sense and what seemed most reasonable. I figured I had a 50% chance of choosing correctly. All of my practice MBE's for Barbri were above average. The official graded practice MBE with Barbri I scored in the 80th percentile. I consistently finished the 100 question sessions on my practice MBE's with 30 minutes left. Same result on test day for the morning session, I used the extra time at the end to go back and read over ones I wasn't really that sure on the first time through, and I changed a couple of answers. I finished the afternoon session with about 15-20 minutes left, due to its difficulty. I tried to go back and review all of the ones I had trouble with, but there were so many I could only get through about half of them before time was called, overall I'm confident with the answers I chose however.

My MPT's were solid, I could have used a little more time on the second one. I only incorporated one of the cases into my argument, but I got everything else in. It looked presentable when I was finished, the first MPT though I felt really good on. On the MEE I felt solid, I was 100% confident on the correct outcome on all the essays except the LLC/Corps one, because I know shit about that subject matter. I applied some common sense on what the law should be, and wrote down that for that answer. I checked the law afterward and my conclusion was correct, but the reasoning was slightly off because I didn't know the law. So I feel like maybe I got half points on that one. I feel the rest of my essays were above average though, not perfect for sure. I never get bogged down in the little details on essays, I try to get broad strokes in to snatch up the most points. This was my strategy in law school and I was always above average.

If I didn't pass I couldn't have done anything better on test day to pass, so I'm taking solace in that. I'm going to keep telling myself I passed to remain sane until results come out. Ignorance is bliss!

But because of my prior success on the MBE practice exams, and my strong performance on the MEE and the MPT on test day, I feel extremely confident I passed.

hogfan1991

New

Postby hogfan1991 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:24 pm

I'm guessing 60% chance I didn't pass; 40% chance I did pass. Just didn't feel confident about it overall.

2TimesTheCharm

New

Postby 2TimesTheCharm » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:38 pm

^ same as this guy, except substitute essay 4 for essay 1.
Last edited by 2TimesTheCharm on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:00 pm

People in this thread are using the same logic as the people who go to St John's and think they'll get a full time legal job.

Your chances of passing in NY at least are 80+%. More like 90-95% if you're at a top school, completed most of your course, or were testing in a certain range.

ironbmike

Bronze

Postby ironbmike » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:07 pm

I can't even enjoy drinking right now. All I can think is "if I spend any money right now, I'm shooting myself in the foot, because in 3 months I'll be jobless and failed the bar exam and my life will be over."
Last edited by ironbmike on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

canijustsleep

New

Postby canijustsleep » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:46 pm

:?:
Last edited by canijustsleep on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Gold

Postby Yukos » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Statistically, based on my school, I have a 90% chance of passing, but I feel like I have a 50% chance. I think this is normal, even if it's irrational.

not guilty

Bronze

Postby not guilty » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:43 pm

canijustsleep wrote:. . . I don't know man.

Statistically, I'm solid (2000+ MBE questions, 78% average in the two weeks before the test, highly ranked school, lots of practical experience in legal writing). But I feel absolutely awful about that MBE in a way I rarely did when doing practice questions. Judging by the discussion here, every time I got it down to two and guessed, I guessed wrong. I did feel weirdly good about the MEE though, so maybe that'll make up for it?

I think I really just need to get off this site.

Thousands upon thousands with your similar statistics will have failed.

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:54 pm

not guilty wrote:

Statistically, I'm solid (2000+ MBE questions, 78% average in the two weeks before the test, highly ranked school, lots of practical experience in legal writing). But I feel absolutely awful about that MBE in a way I rarely did when doing practice questions. Judging by the discussion here, every time I got it down to two and guessed, I guessed wrong. I did feel weirdly good about the MEE though, so maybe that'll make up for it?

:( on the day that matters the average of thousands dropped to 65%?

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:00 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

Don't tell me this.

Don't listen to this guy. The VAST majority of my friends tell me that everyone feels like they failed when they walk out, but most end up passing. Relax.

My gut instinct walking out told me I barely passed but TLS is telling me I failed.

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:10 pm

mvp99 wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

Don't tell me this.

My gut instinct walking out told me I barely passed but TLS is telling me I failed.

^^EXACT same experience.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:32 pm

General PSA: the bar threads were and are full of posturing neurotic tryhards

Let the crazies stew and obsess but for God's sake don't get sucked in.

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:37 pm

not guilty wrote:

You are an idiot. Over history 100 billion people have died. None of us should bother trying to go on. The end is upon us. What's the use?

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:56 pm

if u had to guess what percentile is 133 on thr MBE? I know how the test is equated, but there must still be an average percentile.

rmhco

New

Postby rmhco » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:01 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

Don't tell me this.

^^EXACT same experience.

Same!!

MCFC

Platinum

Postby MCFC » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:05 pm

mvp99 wrote:if u had to guess what percentile is 133 on thr MBE? I know how the test is equated, but there must still be an average percentile.

Is this what you are looking for? http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:07 pm

our minds are so irrational. nothing we can do about it, if we worry we'll suffer to a certain extent, but our brains say "fck u, you failed!!!"

febs 41% pass rate is scary but I'm 72% sure that happened bc of civ pro

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:16 pm

MCFC wrote:
mvp99 wrote:if u had to guess what percentile is 133 on thr MBE? I know how the test is equated, but there must still be an average percentile.

Is this what you are looking for? http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

Thanks. It's aprox bottom 40% .. i thought it was going to be bottom 20-30

edit: lol barbri saying above 30% was enough

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Postby SLS_AMG » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm honestly amazed how high the average score is. Especially since it seems like the consensus is that most people guessed a ton (this time and on past MBEs). It's also strange to me that people generally fall within like a 20-question range of scores. Maybe that statistically makes sense, but out of 200 questions where they're so tricky, it just seems like more people would be scoring under 100. I felt like I guessed on 3/4 of the afternoon questions, but I was also having an out-of-body experience after like #130.

Weirdly, I had the feeling as I was going through that I was guessing on EVERY question, but I finished like 15 mins early, went back and looked, and felt more confident in my answers. Also, I think by like #150 I was just answering by what seemed reasonable and correct given the fact pattern. I was not sharp enough to think of all nuances and potential traps.

2TimesTheCharm

New

Postby 2TimesTheCharm » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:General PSA: the bar threads were and are full of posturing neurotic tryhards

Let the crazies stew and obsess but for God's sake don't get sucked in.

Just my two cents.

Last time I took the bar, I read through the threads here with a friend. I disagreed with the majority of MBE discussions and thought they were neurotic tryhards. My friend said they were right. Fast forward several months... my friend passed the bar. I did not.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�