Maryland Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
PS2012

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:55 am

Maryland Bar

Postby PS2012 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Did anyone else take the MD Bar? What did you think? I thought it was pretty hard :(

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:21 pm

It wasn't so bad. The MPT was annoying as fuck but not difficult to figure out (just obnoxious to write it all out).

The first round essays were definitely the hard hitting ones. Afternoon felt like an even mix of shit I knew and things I had to bullshit on. Seems everyone felt this way to some extent. We'll be fine.

WompWomp67

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby WompWomp67 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:24 pm

I dont know, Im with you. I thought the first part was pretty rough and I have never made up so much law in my life. I know I missed a few easy points, so cheers to hoping everyone messed up as bad or at least the same. Everyone I was chatting with seemed to feel the same way, but I guess it depends on who you know. I thought it was pretty rough.

Pass302

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby Pass302 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:47 am

Agreed. I thought it was hard as well. The Corporations question was far too narrow of an analysis to be a full out long essay. Did anyone feel like they gave us much more info in the extracts than we needed?

emdub

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby emdub » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Pass302 wrote:Agreed. I thought it was hard as well. The Corporations question was far too narrow of an analysis to be a full out long essay. Did anyone feel like they gave us much more info in the extracts than we needed?


my mind is blanking. which one was corporations?

threecharacters

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:40 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby threecharacters » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Corporations was Essay No 1.

And yes, they definitely gave way more info than needed in the extracts. You really had to know which sections were relevant to the question otherwise it was a distraction.

I no doubt bombed a couple essays but I'm hoping I did well enough on the others to make up the difference.

I was also expecting the essays to be more Maryland specific. Did I miss something?

emdub

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby emdub » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:09 pm

[]
Last edited by emdub on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby TLSModBot » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:13 pm

emdub wrote:
threecharacters wrote:Corporations was Essay No 1.

And yes, they definitely gave way more info than needed in the extracts. You really had to know which sections were relevant to the question otherwise it was a distraction.

I no doubt bombed a couple essays but I'm hoping I did well enough on the others to make up the difference.

I was also expecting the essays to be more Maryland specific. Did I miss something?


What was in essay 1? I don't remember the order. I thought that was the Millary and Ronald one?
Millary and Ronald was civ pro I thought. All about what motions to file.

The first essay I think was about a corporation that lapsed and was revived after it filed a claim that was about to run on the statute of limitations. First part was about the viability of that claim. Second part was a basic de facto corporation / corporation by estoppel analysis

emdub

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby emdub » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
emdub wrote:
threecharacters wrote:Corporations was Essay No 1.

And yes, they definitely gave way more info than needed in the extracts. You really had to know which sections were relevant to the question otherwise it was a distraction.

I no doubt bombed a couple essays but I'm hoping I did well enough on the others to make up the difference.

I was also expecting the essays to be more Maryland specific. Did I miss something?


What was in essay 1? I don't remember the order. I thought that was the Millary and Ronald one?
Millary and Ronald was civ pro I thought. All about what motions to file.

The first essay I think was about a corporation that lapsed and was revived after it filed a claim that was about to run on the statute of limitations. First part I think was about the viability of that claim. Second part was a basic de facto corporation / corporation by estoppel analysis


oh i remember now. thanks.

Pass302

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby Pass302 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Yeah, the Corporation Essay was #1, then civ. Pro, then the Family law/Prof. Responsibility.

I felt that the corporations essay was too straight forward that I was left overthinking about it.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby TLSModBot » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Pass302 wrote:Yeah, the Corporation Essay was #1, then civ. Pro, then the Family law/Prof. Responsibility.

I felt that the corporations essay was too straight forward that I was left overthinking about it.

2nd one was secured transactions, unless people had questions in different orders which seems weird

Pass302

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby Pass302 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Pass302 wrote:Yeah, the Corporation Essay was #1, then civ. Pro, then the Family law/Prof. Responsibility.

I felt that the corporations essay was too straight forward that I was left overthinking about it.

2nd one was secured transactions, unless people had questions in different orders which seems weird


Yes, yes, you are right! Secured transactions was second.

Pass302

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby Pass302 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:18 pm

On another note: Did anyone else find the Chairs screeching on the floor to be really annoying? And who's phone rang? haha

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby TLSModBot » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Pass302 wrote:On another note: Did anyone else find the Chairs screeching on the floor to be really annoying? And who's phone rang? haha

yeah I definitely moved my chair and made that awful death screech once or twice, to my chagrin.

I never heard the phone. My table-mate told me about it later but I never recalled it happening

muskies970

Bronze
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby muskies970 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:44 pm

MPT wasn't bad. Corporations was ok. I agree for Secured Transaction you had to read the long statute. only one definition and the 3rd and 4th statute were relevant I believe. Took me ~3 minutes to realize the second (longest) didn't apply. Rest of teh questions seemed pretty straightforward.

For future students here's a breakdown:

1. Corporations - testing the rule when a corporation lapses filing for 4 years and then bringing a claim against an incorporator
2. Secured Transaction - statutes provided, testing issue whether a purchaser was in the ordinary course of business, or not.
3. Family Law/ Professional Responsibility - looking at marital assets and equitable division of pensions. What Professional Rule is broken when attorneys withhold information in discovery. (at least candor to the tribunal?).

Break
4. Torts. Product Liability, with some negligence I believe. Probably some agency, vicarious liability, thrown in.
5. Civil Procedure, with extracts. Motions to file, easy, bringing sanctions, rules for providing answers to admissions. all in the extracts
6. [I'm blanking on this one, any help?]
7. Property, just an easement question. Definitely my worst
8. Evidence. Three pieces. Man's "blinking" identity for hearsay purposes. Girlfriend's abstract identification evidence of a past shooter from a month before (lack of personal knowledge / irrelevant?). gun casing from previous shooting tied to pertinent shooting. Authentication and irrelevant?
9. Con Law. Maryland state imposed tax on out of state athletes. Analyze under the DPC, EPC, and Commerce Clause (Dormant)
10. Crim Pro. Probably Cause when an individual runs from the police. Then throws an item into someone else's house. Then the officer returns later and searches that house without a warrant or permission. Then non-violently threatens that person at the police station for testimony-(says they will be charged for what was in their home). Not bad


MODS, I believe this is ok because we were allowed to take our questions home. If not I'll take it down and sorry.

I forgot to bring mine- this was from memory. Others can quote and add their thoughts.

Pass302

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby Pass302 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:02 pm

muskies970 wrote:MPT wasn't bad. Corporations was ok. I agree for Secured Transaction you had to read the long statute. only one definition and the 3rd and 4th statute were relevant I believe. Took me ~3 minutes to realize the second (longest) didn't apply. Rest of teh questions seemed pretty straightforward.

For future students here's a breakdown:

1. Corporations - testing the rule when a corporation lapses filing for 4 years and then bringing a claim against an incorporator
2. Secured Transaction - statutes provided, testing issue whether a purchaser was in the ordinary course of business, or not.
3. Family Law/ Professional Responsibility - looking at marital assets and equitable division of pensions. What Professional Rule is broken when attorneys withhold information in discovery. (at least candor to the tribunal?).

Break
4. Torts. Product Liability, with some negligence I believe. Probably some agency, vicarious liability, thrown in.
5. Civil Procedure, with extracts. Motions to file, easy, bringing sanctions, rules for providing answers to admissions. all in the extracts
6. [I'm blanking on this one, any help?]
7. Property, just an easement question. Definitely my worst
8. Evidence. Three pieces. Man's "blinking" identity for hearsay purposes. Girlfriend's abstract identification evidence of a past shooter from a month before (lack of personal knowledge / irrelevant?). gun casing from previous shooting tied to pertinent shooting. Authentication and irrelevant?
9. Con Law. Maryland state imposed tax on out of state athletes. Analyze under the DPC, EPC, and Commerce Clause (Dormant)
10. Crim Pro. Probably Cause when an individual runs from the police. Then throws an item into someone else's house. Then the officer returns later and searches that house without a warrant or permission. Then non-violently threatens that person at the police station for testimony-(says they will be charged for what was in their home). Not bad


MODS, I believe this is ok because we were allowed to take our questions home. If not I'll take it down and sorry.

I forgot to bring mine- this was from memory. Others can quote and add their thoughts.



The 6th one was Contracts.

muskies970

Bronze
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby muskies970 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Pass302 wrote:
muskies970 wrote:MPT wasn't bad. Corporations was ok. I agree for Secured Transaction you had to read the long statute. only one definition and the 3rd and 4th statute were relevant I believe. Took me ~3 minutes to realize the second (longest) didn't apply. Rest of teh questions seemed pretty straightforward.

For future students here's a breakdown:

1. Corporations - testing the rule when a corporation lapses filing for 4 years and then bringing a claim against an incorporator
2. Secured Transaction - statutes provided, testing issue whether a purchaser was in the ordinary course of business, or not.
3. Family Law/ Professional Responsibility - looking at marital assets and equitable division of pensions. What Professional Rule is broken when attorneys withhold information in discovery. (at least candor to the tribunal?).

Break
4. Torts. Product Liability, with some negligence I believe. Probably some agency, vicarious liability, thrown in.
5. Civil Procedure, with extracts. Motions to file, easy, bringing sanctions, rules for providing answers to admissions. all in the extracts
6. [I'm blanking on this one, any help?]
7. Property, just an easement question. Definitely my worst
8. Evidence. Three pieces. Man's "blinking" identity for hearsay purposes. Girlfriend's abstract identification evidence of a past shooter from a month before (lack of personal knowledge / irrelevant?). gun casing from previous shooting tied to pertinent shooting. Authentication and irrelevant?
9. Con Law. Maryland state imposed tax on out of state athletes. Analyze under the DPC, EPC, and Commerce Clause (Dormant)
10. Crim Pro. Probably Cause when an individual runs from the police. Then throws an item into someone else's house. Then the officer returns later and searches that house without a warrant or permission. Then non-violently threatens that person at the police station for testimony-(says they will be charged for what was in their home). Not bad


MODS, I believe this is ok because we were allowed to take our questions home. If not I'll take it down and sorry.

I forgot to bring mine- this was from memory. Others can quote and add their thoughts.



The 6th one was Contracts.


I figured that but for the life of me I can't remember the question prompt...

Pass302

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby Pass302 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 pm

muskies970 wrote:
Pass302 wrote:
muskies970 wrote:MPT wasn't bad. Corporations was ok. I agree for Secured Transaction you had to read the long statute. only one definition and the 3rd and 4th statute were relevant I believe. Took me ~3 minutes to realize the second (longest) didn't apply. Rest of teh questions seemed pretty straightforward.

For future students here's a breakdown:

1. Corporations - testing the rule when a corporation lapses filing for 4 years and then bringing a claim against an incorporator
2. Secured Transaction - statutes provided, testing issue whether a purchaser was in the ordinary course of business, or not.
3. Family Law/ Professional Responsibility - looking at marital assets and equitable division of pensions. What Professional Rule is broken when attorneys withhold information in discovery. (at least candor to the tribunal?).

Break
4. Torts. Product Liability, with some negligence I believe. Probably some agency, vicarious liability, thrown in.
5. Civil Procedure, with extracts. Motions to file, easy, bringing sanctions, rules for providing answers to admissions. all in the extracts
6. [I'm blanking on this one, any help?]
7. Property, just an easement question. Definitely my worst
8. Evidence. Three pieces. Man's "blinking" identity for hearsay purposes. Girlfriend's abstract identification evidence of a past shooter from a month before (lack of personal knowledge / irrelevant?). gun casing from previous shooting tied to pertinent shooting. Authentication and irrelevant?
9. Con Law. Maryland state imposed tax on out of state athletes. Analyze under the DPC, EPC, and Commerce Clause (Dormant)
10. Crim Pro. Probably Cause when an individual runs from the police. Then throws an item into someone else's house. Then the officer returns later and searches that house without a warrant or permission. Then non-violently threatens that person at the police station for testimony-(says they will be charged for what was in their home). Not bad


MODS, I believe this is ok because we were allowed to take our questions home. If not I'll take it down and sorry.

I forgot to bring mine- this was from memory. Others can quote and add their thoughts.



The 6th one was Contracts.


I figured that but for the life of me I can't remember the question prompt...


It was the widgets company that was being bought by another person. It was basically about mutual mistake, unilateral mistake and misrepresentation

muskies970

Bronze
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby muskies970 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 pm

Pass302 wrote:
muskies970 wrote:
Pass302 wrote:
muskies970 wrote:MPT wasn't bad. Corporations was ok. I agree for Secured Transaction you had to read the long statute. only one definition and the 3rd and 4th statute were relevant I believe. Took me ~3 minutes to realize the second (longest) didn't apply. Rest of teh questions seemed pretty straightforward.

For future students here's a breakdown:

1. Corporations - testing the rule when a corporation lapses filing for 4 years and then bringing a claim against an incorporator
2. Secured Transaction - statutes provided, testing issue whether a purchaser was in the ordinary course of business, or not.
3. Family Law/ Professional Responsibility - looking at marital assets and equitable division of pensions. What Professional Rule is broken when attorneys withhold information in discovery. (at least candor to the tribunal?).

Break
4. Torts. Product Liability, with some negligence I believe. Probably some agency, vicarious liability, thrown in.
5. Civil Procedure, with extracts. Motions to file, easy, bringing sanctions, rules for providing answers to admissions. all in the extracts
6. [I'm blanking on this one, any help?]
7. Property, just an easement question. Definitely my worst
8. Evidence. Three pieces. Man's "blinking" identity for hearsay purposes. Girlfriend's abstract identification evidence of a past shooter from a month before (lack of personal knowledge / irrelevant?). gun casing from previous shooting tied to pertinent shooting. Authentication and irrelevant?
9. Con Law. Maryland state imposed tax on out of state athletes. Analyze under the DPC, EPC, and Commerce Clause (Dormant)
10. Crim Pro. Probably Cause when an individual runs from the police. Then throws an item into someone else's house. Then the officer returns later and searches that house without a warrant or permission. Then non-violently threatens that person at the police station for testimony-(says they will be charged for what was in their home). Not bad


MODS, I believe this is ok because we were allowed to take our questions home. If not I'll take it down and sorry.

I forgot to bring mine- this was from memory. Others can quote and add their thoughts.



The 6th one was Contracts.


I figured that but for the life of me I can't remember the question prompt...


It was the widgets company that was being bought by another person. It was basically about mutual mistake, unilateral mistake and misrepresentation



Yupp you're exactly right. Raising all the defenses possible. I'll add that in later thanks.

akcheat

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:41 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby akcheat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:38 am

I am the most worried about the torts question oddly enough. I felt like it was too simple. You basically had negligence and strict products liability over and over again with the vicarious liability analysis thrown in. It felt like a really basic question which is very unsettling for me.

NaeDeen

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby NaeDeen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:27 pm

I barely remember anything about the exam. I took the questions home but I refused to look at them. I'm still having nightmares about the darn test so I prefer to leave the questions and the ridiculously long extracts alone.

The one thing I did note is that the extracts provided with my Themis materials were very short compared to the ones on the exam.

I felt as though I was on autopilot during the entire essay exam. The whole darn exam was like an episode of Jackass. A very drunk episode.

NaeDeen

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby NaeDeen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Also, I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but the February essay questions are half the length of the July essay questions. I wonder why that is.

NaeDeen

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby NaeDeen » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:50 am

Has anyone started a waiting thread for the next two weeks?

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby TLSModBot » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:24 am

This one will serve, I think.

Let's just not be like the NY thread weirdos please

akcheat

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:41 am

Re: Maryland Bar

Postby akcheat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:48 am

So how's everyone holding up? I haven't thought about the exam a ton, but now it's coming back. The 4th really can't be here soon enough.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], pvd1986 and 25 guests