What is the effect of completely skipping one MEE question?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
EngineerIsCredit

New

What is the effect of completely skipping one MEE question?

Postby EngineerIsCredit » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Last edited by EngineerIsCredit on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Re: What is the effect of completely skipping one MEE question?

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:33 pm

EngineerIsCredit wrote:I didn't get to the secured transactions question because I ran out of time. Seriously--I put "I'm out of time" or something to that effect, and that was it. I did mediocre on the other essays (not good, not terrible), and did extremely well on the two MPTs. Expecting a 140-150 on the MBE tomorrow. Does any of this make up for the fact that I COMPLETELY SKIPPED one of the essay questions?

Secured wasn't at the end, or was it for you?

RecoveringJD

New

Postby RecoveringJD » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:37 pm

EngineerIsCredit wrote:I didn't get to the secured transactions question because I ran out of time. Seriously--I put "I'm out of time" or something to that effect, and that was it. I did mediocre on the other essays (not good, not terrible), and did extremely well on the two MPTs. Expecting a 140-150 on the MBE tomorrow. Does any of this make up for the fact that I COMPLETELY SKIPPED one of the essay questions?

You'll be fine.

I think I know more people who did this than not, including me. Still passed. Just make sure you nail the MBE tomorrow--and by that I mean...just do OK.

EngineerIsCredit

New

Postby EngineerIsCredit » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:39 pm

Last edited by EngineerIsCredit on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Internetdan

New

Postby Internetdan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Well you're not the only one to have done it by a long shot, but it's going to hurt your average. No sense in thinking about it now. Average on all the others and above average one MBE should be fine.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:02 pm

A friend of mine didn't have time to get to one essay (admittedly out of 12 on Texas bar) and only spent 5 minutes on second-to-last essay, and hefailed by 7 points out of 1000. He had below-median MBE and if he'd just been median MBE he would have passed with room to spare.

I don't say that to be discouraging; I say that to point out that skipping an essay, while not optimal, is not an auto-fail.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndp1234

Bronze

Postby ndp1234 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:43 pm

This happened to me too.

I totally skipped the Secured Transactions question because I focused on my stronger topics first and then realized I had 20 minutes left to read that long Sec Trans fact pattern. During simulated and bar prep essays, hardly ever used up my time like that. Hoping that the other questions will offset completely just not answering one whole essay. :oops:

ellewoods123

Bronze

Postby ellewoods123 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:44 pm

On a related note - can any past takers give us some insight on allocation of essay points? Like..how bad is real bad. I'm truly feeling i bombed every single essay.

Carrie_Homeland

New

Postby Carrie_Homeland » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:04 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:On a related note - can any past takers give us some insight on allocation of essay points? Like..how bad is real bad. I'm truly feeling i bombed every single essay.

Not a past taker but this article may provide some insight- its pretty much a black box

http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... column.pdf

FeraFera

Bronze

Postby FeraFera » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Definitely not going to sink you on its own, but it is going to make you nervous af until score release (but don't worry, that's only for a totally reasonable 1/4 to 1/3 of a year in most places).

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�