Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Took the MPT and Essays today. Completely mangled the law on the first MPT, only got through 1/4 of the second one. Went to my car and cried for an hour. Came back, completely choked on the essays. I couldn't remember a single thing and compared my answers with friends after, did not get any essay question correct. I was getting all the Barbri essays down but completely choked on the real thing, I couldn't think of anything even though I was able to perfectly recite the laws after.

I'm so ashamed. I definitely failed and definitely lost my job. I don't know what to do. I don't even want to take the MBE. I definitely failed. This feels awful. THe essays were the easiest questions and topics possible and I just didn't' get a single point. I got everything wrong. I don't even get it. I know all the answers but i panicked and got them all wrong. I couldn't sleep last night and got about 3 horus of sleep. I can't tell my job I failed. I'm going to lose my job.

How do I even study for the next time? I was getting near perfect scores yet completely choked on the real day. I'm usually a good test-taker but instead completely freaked out. I definitely just ruined my life.
Last edited by lawschoolwoohoo on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 am

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby NoLongerALurker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Just go kill the MBE -- it's less about pulling laws out of the ether of your brain and more about just seeing what's in front of you. Just because you choked on one doesn't mean you'll choke on the other -- and if you get a killer MBE score, you've basically autopassed even if you're really low on the essays!

User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:24 pm

NoLongerALurker wrote:Just go kill the MBE -- it's less about pulling laws out of the ether of your brain and more about just seeing what's in front of you. Just because you choked on one doesn't mean you'll choke on the other -- and if you get a killer MBE score, you've basically autopassed even if you're really low on the essays!


Really? Even in a 50/50 state?

NoLongerALurker

Bronze
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 am

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby NoLongerALurker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:26 pm


MEEkilledMe

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby MEEkilledMe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:26 pm

Stop. Just prepare for the MBE tomorrow.

rmhco

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby rmhco » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:
NoLongerALurker wrote:Just go kill the MBE -- it's less about pulling laws out of the ether of your brain and more about just seeing what's in front of you. Just because you choked on one doesn't mean you'll choke on the other -- and if you get a killer MBE score, you've basically autopassed even if you're really low on the essays!


Really? Even in a 50/50 state?


I think especially in 50/50 state, yeah?

User avatar
S. Goodman

Bronze
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:55 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:Took the MPT and Essays today. Completely mangled the law on the first MPT, only got through 1/4 of the second one. Went to my car and cried for an hour. Came back, completely choked on the essays. I couldn't remember a single thing and compared my answers with friends after, did not get any essay question correct. I was getting all the Barbri essays down but completely choked on the real thing, I couldn't think of anything even though I was able to perfectly recite the laws after.

I'm so ashamed. I definitely failed and definitely lost my job. I don't know what to do. I don't even want to take the MBE. I definitely failed. This feels awful. THe essays were the easiest questions and topics possible and I just didn't' get a single point. I got everything wrong. I don't even get it. I know all the answers but i panicked and got them all wrong. I couldn't sleep last night and got about 3 horus of sleep. I can't tell my job I failed. I'm going to lose my job.

How do I even study for the next time? I was getting near perfect scores yet completely choked on the real day. I'm usually a good test-taker but instead completely freaked out. I definitely just ruined my life.



How did you choke exactly? Did you not answer at all? How much material did you get down on the paper?

What about the MPT? You said messed up the law on the first one, what do you mean? How much exactly of the second one did you down?

thegrayman

Silver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby thegrayman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:56 pm

GET OFF TLS

get some sleep

take MBE as if today never happened, period.

User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:03 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
How did you choke exactly? Did you not answer at all? How much material did you get down on the paper?

What about the MPT? You said messed up the law on the first one, what do you mean? How much exactly of the second one did you down?


I got answers on the paper, but they were very poorly written. I answered all the questions, but they weren't good. I got all the law wrong and mis-applied all the facts.

MPT: I just had bad organization on the first one and don't feel I understood the law. I think I picked up on insignificant facts and wrote it on those instead of on the focus. The second one had 2 parts--I got 1 part done, and didn't focus on the correct parts. I usually always outline the MPTs and essays before I wrote them but for some reason I didn't today. I'm trying to do a bunch of practice MBEs for tomorrow but can't shake the feeling I wasn't meant to pass this year.

User avatar
bearsfan23

Gold
Posts: 1755
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby bearsfan23 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 pm

It's not over yet OP.

Go crush the MBE and you will pass

User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks for the support everyone. I think the worst part might have been sobbing in the middle of the convention center during the break. To quote my friend, "You basically lost everyone's respect." Great.

EngineerIsCredit

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby EngineerIsCredit » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 pm

.
Last edited by EngineerIsCredit on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh

Gold
Posts: 2333
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:46 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:Thanks for the support everyone. I think the worst part might have been sobbing in the middle of the convention center during the break. To quote my friend, "You basically lost everyone's respect." Great.


Your friend was wrong for saying that but you need to toughen up. You will kill it tomorrow.

Confusedgraduate456

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby Confusedgraduate456 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:49 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:Thanks for the support everyone. I think the worst part might have been sobbing in the middle of the convention center during the break. To quote my friend, "You basically lost everyone's respect." Great.


What a horribly mean thing to say to someone at such a stressful time. I am sure that you didn't lose anyone's respect, except maybe this person who sounds like not a great friend. This is an incredibly stressful time and experience, we don't need to be kicking each other while we're down.

OP, go out and crush the MBE tomorrow. I believe in you.

atllawyer01

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby atllawyer01 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:05 pm

I took the GA exam today with you. You will be fine. There are so many people who didnt come close to completing the MPT. The essay questions are designed to test your ability to analyze a question, they if you didn't have the law correct, it's fine. As long as you wrote something and gave some sort of logical answer and analysis, you will be fine. The questions on the exam today were clearly designed to open up analysis under SEVERAL different theories. As long as you pick a theory, stick with it, and analyze the facts in some way under that theory, whether you make it up or not.

squiggle

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:07 am

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby squiggle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:10 pm

If you take the MBE tomorrow, you may still fail. But if you don't take the MBE, you'll definitely fail. TAKE THE MBE.

Though the possibility of failing really sucks, it will be important for you to have a MBE baseline going forward.

WahooLaw24

Bronze
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby WahooLaw24 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Keep fighting OP, I think you're going to surprise yourself.

AspiringCALawyer

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby AspiringCALawyer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:20 pm

EngineerIsCredit wrote:
lawschoolwoohoo wrote:Thanks for the support everyone. I think the worst part might have been sobbing in the middle of the convention center during the break. To quote my friend, "You basically lost everyone's respect." Great.


Fuck everyone else, they don't matter and you will almost certainly never see them again. Also, no one will remember who you are or what your face looks like six months from now. (Or three months. Or a week.)


Fuck the haters. I encountered a woman who was on her 14th try on CA bar and she was in good spirits. A guy I recognized from Feb (I'm on my 2nd try) is in double digits. Reset your mind and focus on MBE.

User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks y'all. I've been scoring 70-80% on the practice Barbri/Adaptibars recently so I'm hoping that might be enough. We'll see. It's a bummer for sure.

loh

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby loh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:01 pm

THIS IS ONLY DAY 1. Even if everything you said is true, you can still pass.

Pandaura

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby Pandaura » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 pm

That second MPT was INSANE. No one I talked to afterwords felt like they completed the question. I got through factor 4 and was like, shit, I have 10 minutes left. I vomitted the remaining 5 factors and the second part out. Totally incomplete. I definitely do not feel good about it. But everyone else took the same test. You will get points for the things you wrote down. Trust in the curve.

atllawyer01

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby atllawyer01 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:26 pm

Pandaura wrote:That second MPT was INSANE. No one I talked to afterwords felt like they completed the question. I got through factor 4 and was like, shit, I have 10 minutes left. I vomitted the remaining 5 factors and the second part out. Totally incomplete. I definitely do not feel good about it. But everyone else took the same test. You will get points for the things you wrote down. Trust in the curve.


Same here.

User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:34 pm

That's comforting. I started with that section, so I got through all nine factors but ended up outlining the other part of the question about the office. Literally no sentences, just outlines. That is comforting. I guess we can't all fail?

ellewoods123

Bronze
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby ellewoods123 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:41 pm

atllawyer01 wrote:
Pandaura wrote:That second MPT was INSANE. No one I talked to afterwords felt like they completed the question. I got through factor 4 and was like, shit, I have 10 minutes left. I vomitted the remaining 5 factors and the second part out. Totally incomplete. I definitely do not feel good about it. But everyone else took the same test. You will get points for the things you wrote down. Trust in the curve.


Same here.



Same. Here.

Pandaura

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Definitely Failed the MPT and Essays

Postby Pandaura » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:42 pm

Then what do you mean you only got through 1/4 of the second MPT? You might just be freaking out too much! Understandable though as most of us are. My second section was a header, the case about the office, one sentence distinguishing the case, and a conclusion, maybe something else but I can't remember at this point. I didn't have time put in any of the CFR law for the second section. Like I said, I don't feel great, but I'm also not in panic mode. You seem to have put more down that I did. You'll be fine.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andreaca, BrandName, cocotruffles, dlrkgml, Google Adsense [Bot], HopingIPass2929, kris4842, Pandongzi, pvnyc, qds6HVzD, rustyburger2, S.as.in.Snake, sammyveritas, TheJuryMustDie, tjohns28 and 110 guests