Thread for Past Bar Takers to Post Words of Encouragement

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
whitecollar23

Bronze

Thread for Past Bar Takers to Post Words of Encouragement

Postby whitecollar23 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:12 pm

Creating this as a place for any past bar takers to post words of encouragement for those of us who are stressed out of our minds right now. All happy thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Any last second sanity tips are welcome, too!

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: Thread for Past Bar Takers to Post Words of Encouragement

Postby L_William_W » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:20 pm

I've been through the war 4 times. During my first 3 attempts, I was scared shit. As soon as I heard the words, "You may begin", I basically froze. When I looked at the MBE's, it was like reading Swahili. While I was doing the essays, I second guessed myself. I nearly had a nervous breakdown.

What motivated me before my 4th attempt was the fact that several of my classmates had already found jobs. They bragged about how they passed on their first attempt. I was kicked out of an internship because I didn't pass. I was so embarrassed that I shutdown my Facebook account and eschewed Easter and Christmas dinners. To make matters worse, the student loan bills continued to pile up. Once person I knew even said that I should consider an alternative career.

When I entered the Meadowlands Exposition Center last July, I was in attack mode. I said to myself, "This is do or die. Game 7 of the World Series. If I go down, I'm going down swinging." On the MBE's, I knew that there were some subjects that I was good at (Torts, crim, con law, evidence) and other subjects that I sucked ass in (contracts, civ pro, property). I literally guessed in the three aforementioned subjects. In the other 4 subjects, however, I meticulously did each question. Unfortunately, due to my own carelessness, I had about 10 MBE's to do with 1 minute left in the AM session. I just put down C for each of them (I DON'T recommend this strategy). I factored in a scenario like that. While I prepared for the bar, I ascertained which amount of questions I needed to get correct in order to get a specific score. I figured that I needed to get roughly 60% of the questions correct. That would give me a MBE in the upper 120's or low-130's. That score would enable me to pass since I was very confident in my essays. My plan worked. I passed with a 130.2 MBE.

On day 2, I literally went line by line on each essay. Since I had completed nearly 150 essays, I basically knew what to expect. I was literally regurgitating the answers from past exams. Even when I didn't know something, I made up some halfway-coherent shit. For example, the Property essay was about the recording act. That was the one thing I didn't remember. I simply stated a rule about race-notice jurisdictions and applied it to the fact pattern.

Do not let the test defeat you. Picture yourself getting an email in November congratulating you on passing the Bar.
Last edited by L_William_W on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Last edited by thegrayman on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Postby whitecollar23 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks you both!

If I may ask, and I'm sure others reading this thread would agree: Please don't talk about any law. Just the sound of a rule is likely to get us more stressed. So if you can, please keep the advice strictly to general terms. :)

Incubateus

Bronze

Postby Incubateus » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:36 pm

If my dumb ass could pass, so can yours. Remember, it's a minimum competency exam.

squiggle

Bronze

Postby squiggle » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:25 pm

Do your best to ignore what others in the room are doing. There will always be that one person who starts typing when you've only read half a sentence. You do you on exam day!

If you're going to be spending time with other examinees, decide if you're doing to discuss the exam at all. I'd recommend a five minute rule. You each get to talk about it for up to five minutes, and then you're done for the rest of the day. It can be both reassuring and upsetting, so know that going in.

Your mindset this week is also terribly important. Believe in yourself. You know more than you think you do. Go in there swinging!

PishPosh

New

Postby PishPosh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Remind yourself its NOT the end of the world, this exam, and you can always take it again. This helped calm me down. Do the best you can--its all you can do. If that's good enough great, but if not, you'll know what you have to work on.

Passed MA Feb 16--hated my bar prep program, went rogue in the last few weeks, and it turned out to be the right decision. I wasn't sure until I got the letter though.

omar1

Bronze

Postby omar1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Like everyone else said before me- just chill. It's just another exam,you have taken more more like this before. Make sure to answer all the questions, write as much as you know and make stuff up if you don't know something. Give all you have and don't stress- most people pass this exam on their first try.

loh

New

Postby loh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:37 pm

I knew a really smart upperclassman from Stanford/Harvard who failed and passed on his 4th try. For some reason that always gave me comfort.

When I was under similar performance stress situation, I kept repeating to myself calmly "Make no mistake. I can do this. Make no mistake. I can do this...." and I had this weird calmness came over me. I failed though because I probably finished like 40% of Barbri assignments. but on my second try I just trusted my practice and hours I put in. Practice doesn't lie. If you put in the hours YOU WILL PASS.

Seriously like everyone else said, chill. Once you treat it like another one of your practice questions and take it like another practice, it's not that bad.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�