MA Essays

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
ovaltine

New

MA Essays

Postby ovaltine » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Does anyone have any wisdom on how to handle MA Essays? I realize there's not much I can do differently at this point but they seem 10x harder than MEE essays. Torts and crim are pretty easy to follow but some of the domestic relations, trusts and wills ones are all over the place - and there are a handful of past essays where I'm not even really sure which subject area(s) I'm supposed to be thinking about. What happened to "Passachusetts?" Would appreciate any last-minute thoughts from anyone who's got any tips or strategies for these.

illusion1024

New

Re: MA Essays

Postby illusion1024 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:01 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

mrscooter1

New

Postby mrscooter1 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Don't have anything valuable to contribute, but I second the difficulty of the MA essays, at least the ones that Barbri provides. I just did the practice half-day for the essays, and a couple of those essays had me lost. The constructive trust doctrine for the property essay? All the habeas corpus stuff, which was no where to be found in the lecture notes?

Really hoping the bar is low on the real exam, or that the Barbri essays are not realistic...

JJm11

New

Postby JJm11 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm

I took Mass in February and taking Conn this week. I definitely noticed that the practice essays for Conn seem easier than the Mass essays. Do you have Kaplan? I'd say about 90% of my time for essays was going into the essay Qbank and reading all the past essay questions and answers. I didnt actually write out a single essay, i just read them all (basically i completely ignored Kaplan's advice) . This helped me to actually understand what the hell the subjects were all about in a broad sense, and i also noticed they focus on the same issues in many subjects and just use new facts. So if you have Kaplan you can go into the essay qbank and pick "domestic relations" or whatever and read a bunch of essays. I definitely think reading over past exams really helped me. The Civ Pro essay in February was just like a previous question i had used to study. So yeah, my advice would be if you have essay answers available, then review as many as you can in your weaker subjects.

Also just know that Mass has to be different and come up with ridiculous fact patterns to throw testers off and make them nervous. A bunch of us walking out of the exam literally had no idea what one of the questions was asking, you just have to throw shit out there that is somewhere in your head and get points wherever you can. Oh and examsoft has a timing you can use for each question so before you start, click 36 minutes or however much time it is and when its done just move on to the next and click 36 minutes, and so on. Maybe im just a dumbass but i didnt know about that until someone told me a few days before the exam. It really helped gauge my time knowing exactly how much time i had left, and not be nervous always having to look up at the clock.

The essays suck for everyone, if youre freaking out the person next to you probably is too. I had no idea what to expect and was really worried and ended getting a 141 for the essays. good luck

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�