Keeping myself busy for the next 2.5 days

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
SFSpartan

Silver

Keeping myself busy for the next 2.5 days

Postby SFSpartan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Taking the CA Bar next week. I've been studying for 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week since the middle of May (the exception to this was yesterday - I was feeling burned out, so I stopped working at 2:00 PM). In that time, I've done about 2,000 MBE questions, written out most of CA's essays for the past 16 years, and have gone through each set of flashcards (I typed/made my own for each subject based on lecture handouts and the CMR) literally dozens of times.

In short, I feel completely prepared to take the exam. However, I've been completely unable to focus today, and I'm having a really hard time motivating myself to just go through basic flashcards again. Any tips re: what to do over the final two days - I'm concerned that I will forget everything if I just stop studying.

supervik80

New

Re: Keeping myself busy for the next 2.5 days

Postby supervik80 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:03 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Taking the CA Bar next week. I've been studying for 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week since the middle of May (the exception to this was yesterday - I was feeling burned out, so I stopped working at 2:00 PM). In that time, I've done about 2,000 MBE questions, written out most of CA's essays for the past 16 years, and have gone through each set of flashcards (I typed/made my own for each subject based on lecture handouts and the CMR) literally dozens of times.

In short, I feel completely prepared to take the exam. However, I've been completely unable to focus today, and I'm having a really hard time motivating myself to just go through basic flashcards again. Any tips re: what to do over the final two days - I'm concerned that I will forget everything if I just stop studying.

lol.

Near

New

Postby Near » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:05 pm

supervik80 wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:Taking the CA Bar next week. I've been studying for 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week since the middle of May (the exception to this was yesterday - I was feeling burned out, so I stopped working at 2:00 PM). In that time, I've done about 2,000 MBE questions, written out most of CA's essays for the past 16 years, and have gone through each set of flashcards (I typed/made my own for each subject based on lecture handouts and the CMR) literally dozens of times.

lol.

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Postby grixxlybear99 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Take the day off. Do some light review on Sunday. Then take Monday off well. You want to feel refreshed and ready. Not stressed and unmotivated.

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Take the next few days off, assuming what you said above is true.

Although, I have to step in and call you out on what you said because there will be people reading this now or in the future who are just starting to think about the bar exam and are wondering how much to study. And I don't want your likely misrepresentation of your studying to overly scare them or skew their preparation. So, let's put it in perspective. Let's say you did study 12 to 14 hours every day. That leaves 12 to 10 hours left each day for other activities. I'm guessing you had to also eat, use the bathroom, shower, went to bed once or twice since May, did your laundry routinely, went grocery shopping, spoke to other people (like family or friends), etc. You probably spent 3 hours per day eating/bathroom, about half an hour showering, and let's say another half an hour having some human interaction. This leaves about 5 to 7 hours free. Assuming you spent only 4 hours of sleep every night would leave you with 1 to 3 hours per day. Pooling it for a whole week, that's 7 to 21 hours, which you spent grocery shopping, doing laundry, cleaning up after yourself, etc, all on 4 hours of sleep non-stop for over two months...

Let's face it. You didn't do this cause you're not a machine. What you did do is probably start studying at 8 am and finished at 8 pm, but did a whole lot of breaks in between, to eat, check FB, talk to friends, take a shit or two, watch a show now and then, etc and called it a 12 hour day when in reality you likely spent only 6-8 hrs of actual study.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:09 pm

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:

Take the next few days off, assuming what you said above is true.

Although, I have to step in and call you out on what you said because there will be people reading this now or in the future who are just starting to think about the bar exam and are wondering how much to study. And I don't want your likely misrepresentation of your studying to overly scare them or skew their preparation. So, let's put it in perspective. Let's say you did study 12 to 14 hours every day. That leaves 12 to 10 hours left each day for other activities. I'm guessing you had to also eat, use the bathroom, shower, went to bed once or twice since May, did your laundry routinely, went grocery shopping, spoke to other people (like family or friends), etc. You probably spent 3 hours per day eating/bathroom, about half an hour showering, and let's say another half an hour having some human interaction. This leaves about 5 to 7 hours free. Assuming you spent only 4 hours of sleep every night would leave you with 1 to 3 hours per day. Pooling it for a whole week, that's 7 to 21 hours, which you spent grocery shopping, doing laundry, cleaning up after yourself, etc, all on 4 hours of sleep non-stop for over two months...

Let's face it. You didn't do this cause you're not a machine. What you did do is probably start studying at 8 am and finished at 8 pm, but did a whole lot of breaks in between, to eat, check FB, talk to friends, take a shit or two, watch a show now and then, etc and called it a 12 hour day when in reality you likely spent only 6-8 hrs of actual study.

To be super clear, I'm not advocating that people study as much as I did, and I can see where what I said seems like bullshit. A bit of useful background: I worked full time during LS and maintained a full class load, so I was already pretty used to putting in that much work and functioning on relatively little sleep (I can function fine on 6, but I'm better on 7). My lovely wife took care of essentially all of the housework (laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, etc.) the last two months, so I could essentially focus on studying the entire time that I wasn't eating or at the gym. I typically studied from 7:00-Noon, 12:45 to 5:00, and 8:00 to 11:00. Then I went to bed.

That said, my initial presentation was a bit overblown. I definitely had days (by my count, one day every other week) where I stopped at 5:00 and didn't pick back up again. Physically typing and gluing flashcards based on CMR also took a lot of time and was mostly busy work, so I suppose I shouldn't count count that time towards the study count. My fault there.

I agree with you re: future posters that might find this thread - it is definitely unnecessary to study as much as I did. My compulsiveness is mostly motivated by the fact that (i) I remembered basically nothing from 1L; (ii) I didn't really take bar classes during 2L and 3L and thus felt way behind the 8 ball; and (iii) my firm began having financial difficulties at the start of the summer, and the fear that I will lose my job if I don't pass has acted as an extremely powerful motivator.

Edits: Edited for clarity and minor grammar issues.

teabreeze

New

Postby teabreeze » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:49 pm

You make the rest of us look bad :cry:

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Go out to lunch, and rest. You've already put in so much time, you don't need to cram in any information and you're totally prepared. The boost you'll get from taking some time off is worth the nothing more you'll be learning if you keep trying to study over the next 2.5 days. Do you honestly think you'll lose like 3 months of information......plus 3 years of law school information if you don't study for the next 3 days? Come on now.

You're in the best position a person can be in....you've done everything right, you've studied the way you should, you're totally prepared. The only way you could possibly make this better is to show up on Tuesday rested, relaxed and ready to crush this exam!

If anything, maybe look over your lean sheets....but I don't know you seem really prepared. You're probably going to end up with a model answer.

blueapple08

New

Postby blueapple08 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:43 pm

yeah, pretty sure you're going to be getting the highest score. That's a study schedule and discipline most of us wish we had.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�