Caffeine/hydration gameplan? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
whitecollar23

Bronze

Re: Caffeine/hydration gameplan?

Post by whitecollar23 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:14 pm

encore1101 wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:
imnottelling wrote:I am only allowed to take in a liter of water and a "non-distracting" snack. I've been drinking 4-6 liters of water per day while studying. Need to work on getting used to a little less. I plan on doing a cup or two of coffee in the morning with plenty of time to let it's effects sink in. I also have caffeinated mints to get me through. I always want a little bit of caffeine about halfway through a 3 hour exam. As for snacks, something with a relatively quick acting carb and maybe a little bit a fat, like a granola bar.
Do hardboiled eggs count as non-distracting if not in a shell? What about bread? These statutes would be unconstitutionally vague if the NY Bar were considered a state actor.

Peeled hardboiled eggs and bread should be okay. I brought jerky and PB+J sandwiches (in addition to my Monster/Water combo, see above), and nobody complained.
Do you recall if a lot of people came with external keyboards? They're so damn noisy!

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 pm

resipsajob wrote:
teabreeze wrote:
resipsajob wrote:How much of a pain are they regarding breaks? Is it like the LSAT where getting permission to get up takes you more time than you are actually out of the room?
I don't remember having to ask for permission in NY or CA. I think you can just get up and go. Though maybe it depends on the testing site.
That's good to hear. The LSAT proctors made it a huge affair.
LSATs are in smaller class room type rooms (at least the 2 places I took them). Bar exams are typically in huge convention halls or similar places. You just get up and go. At least in Boston, the restrooms are still within confines of the large convention center room.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:33 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:
imnottelling wrote:I am only allowed to take in a liter of water and a "non-distracting" snack. I've been drinking 4-6 liters of water per day while studying. Need to work on getting used to a little less. I plan on doing a cup or two of coffee in the morning with plenty of time to let it's effects sink in. I also have caffeinated mints to get me through. I always want a little bit of caffeine about halfway through a 3 hour exam. As for snacks, something with a relatively quick acting carb and maybe a little bit a fat, like a granola bar.
Do hardboiled eggs count as non-distracting if not in a shell? What about bread? These statutes would be unconstitutionally vague if the NY Bar were considered a state actor.

Peeled hardboiled eggs and bread should be okay. I brought jerky and PB+J sandwiches (in addition to my Monster/Water combo, see above), and nobody complained.
Do you recall if a lot of people came with external keyboards? They're so damn noisy!
I took it at the Javitz Center, and I don't remember seeing a lot of external keyboards. I think you can bring foam earplugs if noise is a concern? I don't mind the rhythmic noise of keyboards when I'm working so it didn't bother me.

teabreeze

New

Post by teabreeze » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:

I don't think a lot of people bring external keyboards. Depends on the keyboard of course, but they're also not necessarily louder. My external keyboard makes less noise than my macbook.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:00 pm

I wish earplugs worked for me, but any time I've tried them, they drove me crazy because I just heard ringing in my head. I might bring just in case, though.

I'm terrified of the external keyboards because someone brought an external keyboard into one of my finals this past semester that was a classic PC keyboard with the really load clicking sound. Had to move my seat since he was sitting right to my left and I couldn't get it into a rhythm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:16 pm

For future bar takers if your exam is at a hotel you can put a caffeinated beverage in the bottle they let you bring in, and there are pitchers of water with glasses in the back of the room. So you don't have to choose between water & caffeine.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:26 pm

jdmonkey wrote:For future bar takers if your exam is at a hotel you can put a caffeinated beverage in the bottle they let you bring in, and there are pitchers of water with glasses in the back of the room. So you don't have to choose between water & caffeine.
Yeah. Same in Javits Center. They weren't strict with what you brought in, and especially not with drinks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”